Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Disable Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2007, 6:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Disable Daytime Running Lights

I was very frustrated that the thaoe THOUGHT it was dark out so it turned on the lights in the a.m. (sat too long in garage beforeI pulled out) It was light out but Sun was low in sky. It never triggered the lights to go out. I drove all the way to work without being able to see the clock, radio station info, or HVAC settings.

Any how it drove me to think of a solution. What would happen if we wired an LED to light up inside the sensor as soon as we start up??

Wouldn't it always think it was daylight and not turn on low beams at night unless we manually turned on lights. No more automatic lights right?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

In recent studies DRL's have been found to reduce the likely hood of a head collision (on two-way roads) by as much as 37%.

I cannot think of a single prudent reason to disable this feature.

On my 98 Suburban the DRLs are my low beam headlights. I live in Florida and the constant heat of the headlights being on in the heat of the day fogs the inside of the lens. This fogging which I have not found a way to remove causes very diminished light output. This becomes a serious issue at night on back roads with no street lights. I feel this is a very prudent reason to disable the DRLs
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I know on my 97 tahoe all I had to do to disable the DRL's was to barely apply the parking brake and the lights went out, don't think this will work on the newer Tahoe's
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Pull fuses 30 & 32 to disable DRLs. Disable sensor by turning light **** CCW and releasing after engine start. But have to do this each time.
Old July 11th, 2008, 8:26 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I know some folks question why you would want to disable a safety feature such as the DRL's but speaking from experiance (actually my brothers and a couple of friends) they wanted them off when hunting or driving out to a stand in the early dawn or at night hunting hogs.
And if your an amature astronomer you know that any light is a bad thing, go to any star party with your HID's a blaze and your lible to have rocks thrown at you.
Old July 11th, 2008, 9:00 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

What I noticed since we went to DRLs is that motorcycles w/ their headlites on no longer stand out in traffic.
Old July 13th, 2008, 3:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Option 9G8 - DRL/AHL disable

Safety is always a high priority at General Motors; however, it is recognized that alterations need to be made to accommodate certain situations. The required procedure for disabling DRL's is to provide a written request (on municipal letterhead) to the Service Manager of your local GM dealership. Advise the Service Manager to contact GM Technical Assistance for further direction. Note: Depending on make and model of the vehicle needing to be altered, an additional charge may be incurred for this service.

This is usually for law enforcment or government vehicles. Option 9G8 - DRL/AHL disable
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Old July 15th, 2008, 9:59 PM
CF Active Member

Try pac's TR7 you can program it to pulse your DRL signal 1/2 a second after vehilce starts, evry time you start vehicle. Then just turn it back on if you want.
Old April 30th, 2021, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ZX1100F1
In recent studies DRL's have been found to reduce the likely hood of a head collision (on two-way roads) by as much as 37%.

I cannot think of a single prudent reason to disable this feature.
How about when you are at the drive in and need to start your vehicle for heat or defrost on a cool evening? That’s the problem we run into.

Quick Reply: Disable Daytime Running Lights