Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

DL3 Power Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2006, 4:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DL3 Power Folding Mirrors

EPJ,

Just curious what model Tahoe you have (LS, 1LT, 2LT, 3LT, LTZ). I went to the dealer today & they let me pop the bezels off & take a look at the door panel modules on an LTZ (with DL3 mirrors). The harness config is different than that on my 1LT in that the LTZ has a grey plug in J4 on both the driver and passenger modules whereas on my 1LT J4 is not used (the 1LT only uses J1, J2 & J3). What jacks are used on your modules? Geeze, I wish I could get my hands on a wiring schematic!

The DL3 mirrors I have are keyed to only fit into J7 and J3.
Old November 30th, 2006, 4:14 PM
EPJ
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2LT and have not dug into it yet. I only have the one Mirror which I got a bargain price, $112.00 with shipping and it looks brand new. If I remenber correctly the other Forum Member was successful using the "Mule" I have been kinda waiting around for a positive response from some one else of the completion of this upgrade. It seems like We are at the Mercy of the Dealer's-Tech's discrestion.
Old November 30th, 2006, 4:32 PM
CF Active Member

Well, I'm gonna figure out how to make this work if it kills me! My current focus will be on researching the harness question. Will let you know.......
Old November 30th, 2006, 4:40 PM
EPJ
CF Junior Member

As I stated previously I will try to talk to the Tech tomorrow when I get the RKE reprogrammed, He was going to check into the codes, I will let you know. Maybe it is time for another reply from Dave?
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
CF Active Member

Well, I'm one happy Tahoe/GM advocate. Went to the dealer today & the tech whipped through the DDS & PDS programming without problem or need to contact Tech Assist to "unlock" anything and everything works. Even though he said he never did a DL8>DL3 conversion the whole thing took less than 15 minutes from plugging in his laptop to completetion. So, for the benefit of others wishing to do this conversion I will detail the steps I undertook for converting a 1LT Tahoe to DL3 (power folding mirrors):

1. Purchase the following parts: LH DL3 mirror (# 15882682), RH DL3 mirror (# 15882683), Drivers Door Switch (DDS) module (# 15093440).
2. Once you have the parts go ahead and install the mirrors and DDS. Instructions:
- Roll down the windows
- Disconnect the negative battery cable
- Removing the rectangular door lock button (gently pry up the small tab and the button will lift off)
- Remove the triangle trim (pop the clips from the top first and swing down to lift off the bottom tab)
- Remove the DDS & PDS switch modules (gently pry up one end at a time - 2 clips hold the module in place)
- Remove the trim covers to expose the 10mm bolts behind the door release handle (1 bolt) and door pull handle (2 bolts)
- Remove the door trim panel by pulling around the perimeter to pop loose the retaining clips
- Remove the 3 nylon push in wire harness retainers (I used a nail puller wrapped in masking tape to keep from scratching the door frame)
- Remove the 3 10mm nuts holding the mirror (it won't fall because there is a pop clip on the top of the mirror housing holding it on)
3. At this point you simply reverse the process
4. Once the new mirrors are installed the new DDS will only work in local mode (i.e., it won't put anything out on the data bus so the only thing that it will do is operate the local drivers door window) This means that it will not operate any mirror functions, the other 3 windows will not operate, the drivers power door lock will not function, and the system won't recognize the drivers door opening/closing (so when you exit the vehicle your radio will remain on for ~ 10 minutes until it times out) This is normal.
5. At this point you need to have the DDS and the PDS (Passenger Door Switch) flashed via tech 2 through the Service Provisioning System (SPS). This is the uplink from the dealer's Tech 2 interface unit that is attached to your vehicles OBD port that communicates with the GM database to pull the code for the downlink to your specific vehicle module.
6. Once flashed, everything should operate normally.
7. Also, if you want to use the park tilt function then you need to flash the Driver Information Console module as well (I chose not to)

Good Luck!

Ps. To clear up confusion in previous threads here are some key points:

- You do not need a different PDS, my dealer let me pop them out of an 2LT, 3LT, LTZ & Z71 and they are all the same
- The grey plug in J4 is not an issue - it goes to the seat memory switches on the LT3/LTZ - you don't need this for DL3 operation
- There are no different wiring harnesses involved - this mod is truly plug & play
- My Tech 2 programming experience was $80/hr (only took 15 min, but it was well worth it considering I have working DL3's for under $600 on my 1LT)
Old December 12th, 2006, 2:15 PM
EPJ
CF Junior Member

Great News I will proceed with the purchase and install of my DL-3 project Thanks a Million for all the instructions and info!!!!
Old December 28th, 2006, 4:27 PM
EPJ
CF Junior Member

Another Successfull DL-3 upgrade!!! Bought the Pass side Mirror and Switch from P&G Chevrolet in PA.(got thedrivers side off e-bay) Great prices at partszoneonline.com. Did the install Christmas day with very few problemsand the Tech did the programming on tues.Charged 1 hr.labor.Everything went well with the DDS & PDS and the mirrors function as DL-3's all except for the Curb Assist function, Tech Assist told my tech that he could not program this function, This guy has been great and He is shooting straight with me. I guess that isGM's way of not supporting the add onbuy not providing the the VIC code To unlock the curb assist function in the DIC. He told me if there was some way he could get the codes he would finish the programming at no extra charge. Bottom Line My Wife Loves her new Power Folding Mirrors. Happy New Year to All of You, This forum made this Possible!!!!! Any Comments Dave!!!
Old December 30th, 2006, 3:46 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: EPJ

Another Successfull DL-3 upgrade!!! Bought the Pass side Mirror and Switch from P&G Chevrolet in PA.(got thedrivers side off e-bay) Great prices at partszoneonline.com. Did the install Christmas day with very few problemsand the Tech did the programming on tues.Charged 1 hr.labor.Everything went well with the DDS & PDS and the mirrors function as DL-3's all except for the Curb Assist function, Tech Assist told my tech that he could not program this function, This guy has been great and He is shooting straight with me. I guess that isGM's way of not supporting the add onbuy not providing the the VIC code To unlock the curb assist function in the DIC. He told me if there was some way he could get the codes he would finish the programming at no extra charge. Bottom Line My Wife Loves her new Power Folding Mirrors. Happy New Year to All of You, This forum made this Possible!!!!! Any Comments Dave!!!

what dealer did you take it to?
Old January 3rd, 2007, 7:26 PM
EPJ
CF Junior Member

Keating Chevrolet, The service Writer Is Mike.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 3:38 AM
CF Active Member

will this work for all Tahoes including the LS models and LT's ?

Quick Reply: DL3 Power Folding Mirrors