Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Does dual exhaust necessarily mean twice the sound?

Old October 5th, 2006, 11:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does dual exhaust necessarily mean twice the sound?

I went to the local tire shop here that does alot of my mod work for me and I decided to go with a Flowmaster exhaust. He is going to custom bend the pipe for me and also thought a dual exhaust would look nice. I told him yes on a couple of conditions.

1. I don't want them straight out the back. No offense to anyone who might have it that way. I'm just not a big fan.
2. I would like the tips to come out in pretty much the same location as the stock, behind the wheel at a 45 degree angle. tucked up behind the rocker panel with only 3-4" showing.
3. I don't want it to be real loud. Maybe have some zing when I get on it off the line, or maybe on the highway. But definately not at idle.

He assured me it wouldn't be too loud. I am a big fan of things being balanced out (couldn't stand it back in the day when the only put a drivers side mirror on) so I think it would look nice and still have some bite. When I get the Volant intake installed it should increase the hp too.

So, after saying all that. Should I expect the duals to be obnoxiously loud or will they sound pretty good? I had a 5" Bully Dog exhaust on my Powerstroke and it was pretty loud. Those days are definately past me.

~digdug
Old October 6th, 2006, 12:28 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Does dual exhaust necessarily mean twice the sound?

Just depends on what you consider loud. I know that mine is louder than it used to be, with duals the sound will come out both sides. At idle it is not loud, when you step on the gas it will get louder, of course. Let's just say that if you ever heard someone with duals on say a mustang or camaro (flowmaster,magnaflow, etc) it will be just about that loud, maybe slightly less.

DarkOne.
Old October 6th, 2006, 1:57 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duals dont really mean louder!

HOwever, flowmaster generally means loud. I have had about every exhaust set up known to man, gibson, borla, flowmaster, magnaflow, straight pipes, and electic cutout.

IMO magnaflow has the best OVERALL sound. Flowmaster is just LOUD. If I ever had to do it again, (if the wife liked loud) I would put magnaflow on all my vehicles. Has a perfect sound, doesnt sound to farm truck, it isnt going to vibrate your tahoes bolts loose. It is the perfect sound to me.

OF COURSE, SOUND WILL BE DIFFERENT ON DIFFERENT vehicles and engines.
Old October 6th, 2006, 8:11 PM
CF Veteran

I was just re-reading the sales book on Tahoe. It says there is a special connection in the exhaust to reduce the vibration caused by 4cyl mode. It's a flex area or some crap. Has anyone done a cat back and heard or felt excess vibration due to DOD. I guess this vibration is an issue as they mention steps to reduce it several times - Ie. engine mounts etc
Old October 6th, 2006, 9:26 PM
CF Active Member

My system is from the cat back, 3" pipe, I have felt no vibration. Good sound, so with all this info what have you decided?
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
CF Active Member

hAS A CROSS OVER PIPE BEEN ADDED TO REDUCE BACK POPPING?
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:12 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: DarkOne

My system is from the cat back, 3" pipe, I have felt no vibration. Good sound, so with all this info what have you decided?

I haven't decided yet. I'm really worried it's going to be to loud. I also have heard that Flowmaster is loud ... I want it to sound good, not loud. Does anyone know if Flowmaster has a nice sound to it? I asked him for Magnaflow and he said he wasn't sure he could get it. I'm supposed to drop the truck off on Monday to get it done, along with my leveling kit.

~digdug
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:45 AM
CF Active Member

Digdug,

Depending on which flowmaster you get will determine how loud it will be. I don't know about the magnaflow except, that is the one I went with. It is louder than stock, put it this way; I have had people ask me what I have under the hood, just b/c of the sound. I think you will be happy with the magnaflow, at idle it is not loud and when cruising the same. The only time it gets louder is when you accelerate. I think also depending on the tip will determine how loud, don't get echo pipe tips the make it louder (think it does) if you get a smaller tip I don't think it will echo the noise as much.

DarkOne.
Old October 7th, 2006, 9:58 AM
CF Addict

Dig Dug,
I wouldnt put a flowmaster on your tahoe. I would put a magnaflow. Go to performancepeddler.com and purhchase just the muffler and take it to your muffler guy and have him put it on using his own tailpipes and tips.
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:19 AM
CF Junior Member

I called around before settling on the magnaflow. I was told flowmaster makes a 40 and 50 series, and both are loud as hell... the 40 series is 1 chamber only, I believe? Anyway, one guy I talked to said he thought flowmaster was introducing a 60 series for the 07 Tahoe, as they have already introduced it with other newer models...

Just do what the above poster said. Order the m'flow from the web and take it to your guy...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does dual exhaust necessarily mean twice the sound?