Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dome lights wont come on

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2011, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome lights wont come on

I just bought a repo suburban LTZ. I cant get the dome lights to come on when I open the doors. The dealership said maybe the switch in the door might be bad. I can't find it. Can someone help please?
Old December 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

What year of Burb are we talkin' bout?
Is the interior light switch turned on / enabled?
have you checked the fuses?
The bulbs?
Old December 17th, 2011, 8:56 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a dome light bypass switch by the headlight switch. Try pushing it
Old December 19th, 2011, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Tried the button
The lights come on if you touch each individual button so it's not the bulbs
I looked at the fuses but couldn't find any bad ones
Old December 19th, 2011, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Above the fuse box near the driver door is a little black box with a red light on it but the light it not lit up, any idea what that is? Also a little wire with a push button on the end. Just wondering what they are as well. I didn't get an owners manual so trying to keep from having to go to a dealership and get raped trying to fix these issues.
Old December 20th, 2011, 7:32 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsavage_24
Above the fuse box near the driver door is a little black box with a red light on it but the light it not lit up, any idea what that is? Also a little wire with a push button on the end. Just wondering what they are as well. I didn't get an owners manual so trying to keep from having to go to a dealership and get raped trying to fix these issues.
Sounds like an aftermarket alarm
Old December 20th, 2011, 7:37 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jbsavage_24,

If the bulbs are working when you press the buttons, the switch in the door may be bad. So they work, but not when you open the doors right? If so, you may have to have the dealer fix it for you.

You stated you didn't receive a manual, here's a link to a digital copy: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...olet-Tahoe.pdf

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 21st, 2011, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Louis. Where is the button in the door?
Old December 21st, 2011, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

How about the right turn signal up front not working. I have changed the bulb and still nothing. The bulb lights up but doesn't blink and neither does the mirror light. Could it be a short? I think the issue with the dome lights is probably the door switch because the lights on the mirrors don't come on either. Is that something I can fix myself. If not what do you think it will cost to fix?
Old December 22nd, 2011, 9:00 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jbsavage_24,

The switch is located in the door jamb. As for the turn signal, if you have replaced the bulb already, it may be your turn signal relay switch. This is only a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I am not a technician, so I would recommend you take the vehicle in to be fixed. I cannot say how much it would cost to get fixed, as pricing varies state to state, dealer to dealer. I'd suggest you contact a few local dealers for pricing.

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: Dome lights wont come on