Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Door chime fix for cleaning

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2010, 3:49 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Door chime fix for cleaning

I like to listen to the truck radio while cleaning it....
Well as you know with the drivers door open the door open chime will prevent any real enjoyment.
The door open/ajar sensor is located in the lock assembly, so the door needs to be closed to deactivate the open sensor, I solved that with a 1/2x6 in piece of tubing that acts at the same as the striker bolt that the door latches to.

The 1/2 is a bit thicker then the opening but deforms to fit, but the thickness helps hold the tube in place, you could just do it with your finger but risk breaking the latch assembly if you close the door with it in the latched position.

The tube acts as the latch bolt and as a place holder to remind you the door is latched shut, and keeps your finger grease free...

I also added a bright colored flag or in this case an orange Velcro strap I had as an added reminder that something is sticking out or the door and easier to notice laying on the ground if it gets knocked out accidentally..

I should mention that when removing the tool, be sure to use the handle to open the door and use the tool to push the latch assembly back open
the plastic tubing will also give should the door be closed on it and won't mar the paint....
Attached Thumbnails Door chime fix for cleaning-items-needed.jpg   Door chime fix for cleaning-latch-open.jpg   Door chime fix for cleaning-latch-activated.jpg   Door chime fix for cleaning-tool-use.jpg   Door chime fix for cleaning-prospective.jpg  

Last edited by in2pro; November 11th, 2010 at 9:30 PM.
Old November 11th, 2010, 5:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nifty.. lol too bad on my 95 its just a little button/stick thing that gets pushed in by the door..the chime/beep pisses me off lol
Old November 11th, 2010, 5:40 PM
Administrator

Those were a little easier to defeat but not so easy to temporarily override...
I know you can roll the key to the start position and the chime will eventually stop but that fires up every module and lamp on the dash not to mention primes the fuel pump, draining the battery... this little tool allows you to use the accessory position and not fire up every power hungry module in the vehicle...
Old November 12th, 2010, 9:33 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1995

On My '95, the speaker was just a black box plugged into a panel at the driver's knees under the dash... I unplugged it years ago... never went back
Old November 12th, 2010, 9:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
On My '95, the speaker was just a black box plugged into a panel at the driver's knees under the dash... I unplugged it years ago... never went back
ill take that frickin thing and smash it! LOL... im gonna look for it now..
Old November 12th, 2010, 9:41 AM
Administrator

Actually that little black box pulls out and you can just bend the pin over that causes the chime, that way you don't disable other features that you might want the chime for...
I don't recall what pin it was but it was one of the outside(left side) tabs
I just bent it over on my 97 Tahoe and plugged it back in...
I'll look and see if I can identify the pin and post...
Old November 12th, 2010, 9:59 AM
Administrator

If you pull the module(for 92-98 year models) it should be tab 7 or the top tab of the cluster of 3, its the "key in" warning, the module should work for all other items.
If you just pull the module you loose the key in warming, the seat belt warning and the lights on warning...
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

i dont get a seatbelt warning.. lol i get the little light on the dash.... i really only want it on for the light warning..i will go out n pull it in a bit..
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Don't cut the pin off just bend it over that way you can aways return it to normal if need be, not to mention double check my work should I have identified the wrong pin...DOH!
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

lmao now that would b funny.......now..you guys are talking about on fuse box on the floor? if not idk where the hell it is then LOL..

Quick Reply: Door chime fix for cleaning