Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Driver door clicking squeaking aquard to close

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2011, 8:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driver door clicking squeaking aquard to close

the driver door on my 2010 tahoe seems to have a weird problem with the driver door that started out as a squeak when about halfway closed when shutting it. i took it to the dealer last november and they could not duplicate the issue because it would only be once in a wile. they lubricated the hinges and since then it seemed fine for awile and now is making a "thud" when the door is about halfway open. its noticable that a few people have noticed it on my truck. it seems to be getting worse every day but the door still locks into place and does not rub anywhere. could it be possible the hinges have become worn on such a new truck?
Old May 12th, 2011, 3:45 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

There is the possibility there is an issue with the vehicle. I would suggest having it taken back in and if they are unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle contact me and I'll get you setup with our Customer Assistance team to see what we can do for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 12th, 2011, 7:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badOHtenTAHOE
the driver door on my 2010 tahoe seems to have a weird problem with the driver door that started out as a squeak when about halfway closed when shutting it. i took it to the dealer last november and they could not duplicate the issue because it would only be once in a wile. they lubricated the hinges and since then it seemed fine for awile and now is making a "thud" when the door is about halfway open. its noticable that a few people have noticed it on my truck. it seems to be getting worse every day but the door still locks into place and does not rub anywhere. could it be possible the hinges have become worn on such a new truck?
I have a similar, if not the same issue with my '07 Tahoe. Same problem with my drivers side door. It does not do it all the time, and sometimes it is worse then others. I notice it more when it is hot and humid, or cold outside. It was really bad this winter before the weather started to get warmer. In fact, sometimes it feels like the door is actually harder to close when this occurs. Nothing else is effected by this, but it is rather annoying. I really believe this is an issue with the hinges.

I have an appointment for my Tahoe next week at my local dealer to fix some other minor issues including this one. When I went to make my appointment the service guy told me it may just need some grease, and is a common issue to occur. Seems rather odd that a 40+ thousand dollar vehicle would have this type of an issue. Sometimes I think I am getting in and out of our '89 Chevy G10 van, not my 2007 Tahoe. It is almost embarrassing when I open or close the door.....

I will let you know how it goes, and I would appreciate it if you find anything out to please let me know.

I feel, or rather hear your pain!!
Old May 18th, 2011, 3:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by ChevyFreak
I have a similar, if not the same issue with my '07 Tahoe. Same problem with my drivers side door. It does not do it all the time, and sometimes it is worse then others. I notice it more when it is hot and humid, or cold outside. It was really bad this winter before the weather started to get warmer. In fact, sometimes it feels like the door is actually harder to close when this occurs. Nothing else is effected by this, but it is rather annoying. I really believe this is an issue with the hinges.

I have an appointment for my Tahoe next week at my local dealer to fix some other minor issues including this one. When I went to make my appointment the service guy told me it may just need some grease, and is a common issue to occur. Seems rather odd that a 40+ thousand dollar vehicle would have this type of an issue. Sometimes I think I am getting in and out of our '89 Chevy G10 van, not my 2007 Tahoe. It is almost embarrassing when I open or close the door.....

I will let you know how it goes, and I would appreciate it if you find anything out to please let me know.

I feel, or rather hear your pain!!
ChevyFreak,

Did you get the issue with your hinges taken care of? If you have been to the dealership and the issue is still reoccurring, please private message me with your information so I can forward it along to get looked at.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Old May 19th, 2011, 4:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
ChevyFreak,

Did you get the issue with your hinges taken care of? If you have been to the dealership and the issue is still reoccurring, please private message me with your information so I can forward it along to get looked at.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Assistance
I got the Tahoe back from the dealer today. Below I have quoted the dealership, so don't ask me to clarify. I am no mechanic The problem has lessoned, but I will have to see the full extent of this "fix" after getting in and out of the vehicle over the next week or so.

"Customer stated driver door squeaks when opening and closing: Hinge roller seized and attempt to free and lube. Roller and lube, still squeaks slightly, suggest owner work hinge and may require hinge replacement."

Not exactly solving the issue, but we will see. badOHtenTAHOE, maybe this can help get you started on the right track for a fix for your Tahoe door squeak.
Old May 19th, 2011, 5:03 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I hit my hinges and latches with spray can of white lithium grease every couple of months... I think if you do the level II maintenance at your dealer they also lube these points...
Old May 19th, 2011, 5:10 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, according to this snip I found, Level II maintenance does do body component lube.... I found this out at a previous servicing I had done when I popped the hood to check that they did put the oil cap back on I noticed the hood latch was freshly lubed....

Yes after servicing at the dealer I do a full walk around checking all tires for lug nuts and valve stem caps, check under the hood for all caps back in place and check that the crank case has oil in it....Yes I trust my dealership but everyone makes mistakes and its YOUR mistake once you drive it off the lot....
Attached Thumbnails Driver door clicking squeaking aquard to close-capture.jpg  
Old May 20th, 2011, 8:11 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by ChevyFreak
I got the Tahoe back from the dealer today. Below I have quoted the dealership, so don't ask me to clarify. I am no mechanic The problem has lessoned, but I will have to see the full extent of this "fix" after getting in and out of the vehicle over the next week or so.

"Customer stated driver door squeaks when opening and closing: Hinge roller seized and attempt to free and lube. Roller and lube, still squeaks slightly, suggest owner work hinge and may require hinge replacement."

Not exactly solving the issue, but we will see. badOHtenTAHOE, maybe this can help get you started on the right track for a fix for your Tahoe door squeak.
Glad to see you got into the dealership. Please keep me updated with this issue. If it does occur again within the next week or so, please contact me again so I can set up a case for you.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ck your hinges if it is like my 97 the hinges are welded on. I am not a mech but yours is probably like mine the pin and bushing are wore out. Will post my problem in a thread as I do not want to mess yours up. But here is how to ck it. Open the door with window down lift the end with the handle on it and watch the door next to the body. If it moves up and down you need new hing pins and bushings. At the dealership these will run you a little over $50. Go to Auto zone and get them for around $10 (after market) these prices are on a 97 model.
Old January 16th, 2014, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Same Issue 2008 Suburban

I have the same issue with my used Suburban I purchased from a Chevy Dealer this summer. When I was in getting the awful tires filled for the 5th time in 5 months, I had them take a look at it. Their response was to quote me $360.00 to fix a bad "door link". I then ended up paying them $64 for having to take the door off and put it back on when I told them I wasn't going to pay $360.00. I agree with the post above about the embarrassment of the sound getting in and out every day.

Quick Reply: Driver door clicking squeaking aquard to close