Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

DRL's not working

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL's not working

My Daytime Running Lights are not working. First it was just one of them, then I replaced the bulbs but, it still didn't work. Then the other one went out and again changing the bulb made no difference.

Then I started noticing that thereare a lot of Chevy/GM trucks where the DRL's are not working or just one of them is working.

Seems to me there may be an inherit problem with this feature. Does anyone have any info on this problem?

My Truck is a 2003 Tahoe Z71

Thanks
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DRL's not working

ORIGINAL: Decohead
Then I started noticing that thereare a lot of Chevy/GM trucks where the DRL's are not working or just one of them is working.
I noticed this as well.

Its was one of the reasons I put off buying a GM product for several years because I thought it indicated poor quality control on a simple device because I noticed so many DRL's with one light burnt out.. But after my brothers 2003 GMC Diesel Sierra hit 130,000 Miles last year with one blown out DRL being the only problem during the entire 130,000 Miles, I was put at ease. I dont notice the problem anymore on the newer models, so I am sure GM figured it out.

Have you checked to fuse?
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

I haven't checked the fuse but, I'm wondering if they have a fuse for each bulb...because they didn't go out at the same time. First, it was the passenger side then, a couple of weeks later the driver side went out. This happened at about 40k miles.
Old July 25th, 2007, 9:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is only one fuse for both, but there is also a drl relay and a drl module in addition to the fuse. However, I don't think any of thesebeing faultywouldcause only one light to go out. I would look for a power or ground problemat theheadlightand see what that turns up.
Old July 25th, 2007, 9:12 PM
e
CF Senior Member

on your DRL are you running the stock bulbs or have they been changed with aftermarkets? We've seen people change them for higher wattage bulbs (blueish look) andthese haveheated up the sockets causing a poor or burnt connection at the light and socket. Whats the inside of the socket look like?
Burnt?
whiteish?
Just thinking.......
I would think that if the module, fuse, or relay were the problem they would both be out at the same time.
Old September 14th, 2012, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Can anyone tell me which fuse or fuses control the DRLs?
Old September 14th, 2012, 11:06 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

I had the sockets overheat and get damaged. I replaced the sockets and changed the bulb to a 4114LL and have had very little problem with them.
Old September 15th, 2012, 9:16 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kmoore13
Can anyone tell me which fuse or fuses control the DRLs?
Welcome to the forum.

What year? The GMT900s have the DRL fuse in the underhood fuse box and the label tells you which one. I think it's 31 or 32 but not sure.
Old September 15th, 2012, 5:36 PM
CF Veteran

theres a bulletin for running different (i believe higher voltage but not sure) bulbs instead of the stock 1s. Dont remember what years but I've changed a ton of them
Old December 14th, 2012, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Where is DRL module for 2002 Suburban?

I checked, fuse is good. Relay is good. Bulbs are both good. I heard a beep and both lights went out and now headlights come in daytime and not DRL.

Quick Reply: DRL's not working