Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Tahoe & Suburban
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Erratic Fuel Gauge

I have a 1999 2-door 4wd Tahoe. I just had the fuel pump replaced and when I got the truck back, the fuel gauge is now erratic. It moves back and forth like the blinker was on or something, but not back and forth too far , just slightly. It doesnt jump all over the place and its not too noticable during the day. When I am driving at night and the gauges are lit up, it almost looks like its vibrating back and forth extremely fast like a humming bird almost. Now the mechanic even replaced the 1st new fuel pump assembly w/sending unit and the same thing is happening. It even does this with the truck off and the key turned to the on position. It didnt do this before I had the pump replaced and now no one can figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Erratic Fuel Gauge

Sounds like a Ground issue?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM

are you sure you have the correct pump and sending unit cos a 99 Hoeis different than99 pickup truckyou probably have a new body style sending unit in there that uses different oms/volt??

to make sure just go back to parts store lookup 98 Tahoe part number and check to see if thats the same part you have in ur truck
Old 06-02-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: gamato

I have a 1999 2-door 4wd Tahoe. I just had the fuel pump replaced and when I got the truck back, the fuel gauge is now erratic. It moves back and forth like the blinker was on or something, but not back and forth too far , just slightly. It doesnt jump all over the place and its not too noticable during the day. When I am driving at night and the gauges are lit up, it almost looks like its vibrating back and forth extremely fast like a humming bird almost. Now the mechanic even replaced the 1st new fuel pump assembly w/sending unit and the same thing is happening. It even does this with the truck off and the key turned to the on position. It didnt do this before I had the pump replaced and now no one can figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
With the exception of mine being a 4-door 2wd, my situation is identical. The factory original pump went out at 105K miles and I installed an aftermarket pump and the symptoms described in this thread started. That pump failed after 6 months and 2K miles and was replaced with an AC/Delco MU149 and it too shows the identical symptoms.
I noticed that in a reply from Black 5.3 that there are two different style sending units for the '99 year model. Have you been able to confirm that this was your issue? btw, the parts books that I have seen also called for a MU149 for the '98 models, but again perhaps the sending unit is different?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM

I have a 2000 tahoe and the gas gauge started doing the same thing but after awhile it now goes from empty with the idiot light on to full then half full then quarter tankand all over the place. Its almost like I have a magic refilling gas tank. I have not had the fuel pump replaced so I know it not that.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM

I have replace several gm fuel pump on suv, van, and truck I think that it just the way their making them is all screwy.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jhale

I have a 2000 tahoe and the gas gauge started doing the same thing but after awhile it now goes from empty with the idiot light on to full then half full then quarter tankand all over the place. Its almost like I have a magic refilling gas tank. I have not had the fuel pump replaced so I know it not that.
I can definately trace mine back to the fuel pump replacement. I sitll have those that suggest it be a ground issue, but am contacting a GM Parts Dealer with the VIN of my Tahoe in an attempt to determine just exactly which pump was factory installed to make sure that the replacement pump is the correct pump. As it stands now, parts books state that AC/Delco pumps MU149, MU150, & MU148 are all listed as correct for this vehicle application.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Erratic Fuel gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamato View Post
Gamato, Did you checked the Broadcast code in you fuel pump> it happens the same to me the Code was GAW and the new pump is GFU> I blame the codes but havent's found anybody to expalin this to me. I replace and old delphi pump with a new AC Delco MU150. Appreciate your comments.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 99 suburban. It started after I changed the fuel pump.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Has anyone figured out this problem ?????????
Old 03-25-2012, 03:37 PM

Tags
1999, 2006, blazer, chevy, equinox, erratic, fuel, gauge, gauges, read, s10, sending, suburban, truck, unit