Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 17th, 2015, 12:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Erratic Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2007, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Erratic Fuel Gauge

I have a 1999 2-door 4wd Tahoe. I just had the fuel pump replaced and when I got the truck back, the fuel gauge is now erratic. It moves back and forth like the blinker was on or something, but not back and forth too far , just slightly. It doesnt jump all over the place and its not too noticable during the day. When I am driving at night and the gauges are lit up, it almost looks like its vibrating back and forth extremely fast like a humming bird almost. Now the mechanic even replaced the 1st new fuel pump assembly w/sending unit and the same thing is happening. It even does this with the truck off and the key turned to the on position. It didnt do this before I had the pump replaced and now no one can figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Old March 21st, 2007, 3:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Erratic Fuel Gauge

Sounds like a Ground issue?
Old March 21st, 2007, 3:45 PM
CF Junior Member

are you sure you have the correct pump and sending unit cos a 99 Hoeis different than99 pickup truckyou probably have a new body style sending unit in there that uses different oms/volt??

to make sure just go back to parts store lookup 98 Tahoe part number and check to see if thats the same part you have in ur truck
Old June 2nd, 2007, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: gamato

I have a 1999 2-door 4wd Tahoe. I just had the fuel pump replaced and when I got the truck back, the fuel gauge is now erratic. It moves back and forth like the blinker was on or something, but not back and forth too far , just slightly. It doesnt jump all over the place and its not too noticable during the day. When I am driving at night and the gauges are lit up, it almost looks like its vibrating back and forth extremely fast like a humming bird almost. Now the mechanic even replaced the 1st new fuel pump assembly w/sending unit and the same thing is happening. It even does this with the truck off and the key turned to the on position. It didnt do this before I had the pump replaced and now no one can figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
With the exception of mine being a 4-door 2wd, my situation is identical. The factory original pump went out at 105K miles and I installed an aftermarket pump and the symptoms described in this thread started. That pump failed after 6 months and 2K miles and was replaced with an AC/Delco MU149 and it too shows the identical symptoms.
I noticed that in a reply from Black 5.3 that there are two different style sending units for the '99 year model. Have you been able to confirm that this was your issue? btw, the parts books that I have seen also called for a MU149 for the '98 models, but again perhaps the sending unit is different?
Old June 5th, 2007, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 tahoe and the gas gauge started doing the same thing but after awhile it now goes from empty with the idiot light on to full then half full then quarter tankand all over the place. Its almost like I have a magic refilling gas tank. I have not had the fuel pump replaced so I know it not that.
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

I have replace several gm fuel pump on suv, van, and truck I think that it just the way their making them is all screwy.
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: jhale

I have a 2000 tahoe and the gas gauge started doing the same thing but after awhile it now goes from empty with the idiot light on to full then half full then quarter tankand all over the place. Its almost like I have a magic refilling gas tank. I have not had the fuel pump replaced so I know it not that.
I can definately trace mine back to the fuel pump replacement. I sitll have those that suggest it be a ground issue, but am contacting a GM Parts Dealer with the VIN of my Tahoe in an attempt to determine just exactly which pump was factory installed to make sure that the replacement pump is the correct pump. As it stands now, parts books state that AC/Delco pumps MU149, MU150, & MU148 are all listed as correct for this vehicle application.
Old March 31st, 2010, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Erratic Fuel gauge

Originally Posted by gamato
Gamato, Did you checked the Broadcast code in you fuel pump> it happens the same to me the Code was GAW and the new pump is GFU> I blame the codes but havent's found anybody to expalin this to me. I replace and old delphi pump with a new AC Delco MU150. Appreciate your comments.
Old August 12th, 2011, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 99 suburban. It started after I changed the fuel pump.
Old March 25th, 2012, 3:37 PM
CF Active Member

Has anyone figured out this problem ?????????

Quick Reply: Erratic Fuel Gauge