Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

The error code P0650, ECM or Cluster?

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2014, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The error code P0650, ECM or Cluster?

Hello,
I have 05 Suburban 1500 FF.
First of all, I would appreciate it if you refer to my last post regarding P0650.

I was told from the dealership tec to replace both ECM and Cluster because the code P0650 popped up when diagnosed.

Before that, I went there to check why the check engine light never came on when ignition key on without engine start. (I bought used one without checking this issue b/c I am definitely ignorant of a car mechanism)

So, yesterday, I got the ECM replaced in the dealership paying $900

BTW, are all the GM ECM "remanufactured"? I thought it's brand new, but the part guy said, "all the ECM selling here are remanufactured".

Anyway, after the ECM replacement, the tec said,
"the code p0650 is SOLVED, but the CEL still doesn't come on, so it's time to replace the cluster, and I am sure 100% the CEL will come on when cluster replaced".

So, I really wonder if the P0650 is from the ECM or just Cluster, OR both?

I was in a kinda panic.
Can it be problems of both ECM and Cluster at the same time when the code P0650 pops up?

Now I am really in a worry that I should have the cluster replaced paying another $720.

Actually, I have to say I have lived in America for just 2yrs as well as got the first GM truck. So, I have no idea of any repair knowledge nor dealership policy. I have no one around me to help me regarding this issue.
So, just please help me.

The only problem was that the CEL doesn't come on when the ignition key on before engine starts, that's it. EVERYTHING other than this issue is OK.
The reason I eagerly repair this issue is that I heard the emission test will fail if the CEL doesn't work.

But, I already replaced the ECM in the dealership and was also told to replace cluster because according to the tec, something wrong in the cluster WIRE happened.
I think I can remove the cluster and put it back but can't figure out what the WIRES are and how to check if they are OK.

Where should I go? ...
Thanks for reading with all my best.
Old August 31st, 2014, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Just googled your error code and came across this P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit

If you read further down near the bottom it gives some info on things to check.

Hope it helps
Old August 5th, 2017, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default P0650 on my 2013 traverse

I have the same problem on my 2013 traverse. Check engine light doesn't work at all. I was wondering you you resolved the issue, and what the cause was?