Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

To fix... or not to fix...???

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2010, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To fix... or not to fix...???

Hi guys,

I have a 1989 Suburban with unknown miles, a dent on every panel, faded paint and a cracked windshield. And if that's not enough, it has salvage history on the title! It is my beater, to say the least.

My issue is that it is showing signs of a leaking head gasket. It is drivable, but blows white smoke and sputters. I hate to see this truck go because I have a lot of new parts on it and new tires. It is also my only tow vehicle.

I'm no mechanic, but can do most most minor repairs myself, i.e., fuel pumps, water pumps, carbs, etc. This truck is only worth fixing unless I can do it myself.

How bad is it for a novice like me? What would be the worst part, old rusty exhaust manifold bolts? getting the distributor back in right? just time consuming?

I would obviously take the heads to a machine shop while they are off, and should probably replace the timing chain while I'm in there.

What am I in for?

Thanks,
Marc