Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

FLOOR JACK? WHICH ONE? RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A NOVICE PLEASE.

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FLOOR JACK? WHICH ONE? RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A NOVICE PLEASE.

Hey guys I am going to buy my first floor jack tomorrow. I will probably go to Sears or Wal-Mart. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Features, functions, etc? Also, what ton should I get? You can provide links of website and product numbers if you wish. Looking for a good, decent price floor jack that has enough juice to lift the hoe with ease.

I am also going to get some floor jack stands, what ton should these be to get the front or rear of the vehicle in the air? My big **** doesnt fit under the tahoe to well!
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FLOOR JACK? WHICH ONE? RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A NOVICE PLEASE.

I have a 3 ton floor jack and 2 1/2 ton Jack stands that I got for my old F-350. They work really well. The jack is an easy pump and simple to maneuver around. I got them both at Sam's Club for like $200 total.

~digdug
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM
CF Addict

Thanks, I might check there also. I just dont know any features that the jacks have. I wasnt sure if I should look for something specific.

It seems most are arond 2 1/4-3 ton jacks. I guess any of them will suffice? Thanks, Landon.
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM
CF Active Member

I think mine was made by Rousch Racing. 1 feature that is nice is a rubber handle at the end of the pump bar. The metal handles with the grip etched into the metal at the end kinda tear up your hands. I also wrapped a bungy cord around the base of the handle and fastened both ends to the jack to force the handle into the uprite postion when not using. Nothing like turning around a walking straight into a jack handle. Does the ribs wonders.

~digdug
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:26 AM
CF Active Member

You don't neccesarilly need a big one, you aren't picking up the entire truck just a corner of it. 2-1/2 ton is plenty, 3 ton would be great. If you look around you can find a set that comes with the jack and the stands. Some will come with speed pumps. Where the jack will raise quickly when it has no load on it as soon as you get to the point where it reaches the load it changes to slowly raise. That can be a nice feature, but not really needed if it costs alot. Some will have 4 wheels and some will have 2 wheels and allow the body of the jack to slide on the floor. Personally I prefer 4 wheels, because I have a painted garage floor and don't want to scratch it. Look at the jack pad, which is the pad where the jack actually makes contact with the load. Having a larger jack pad is nice because it helps stabilize the load better. I would start a Sears, you will probably find something you will like, if not go to Sam's.

Kevin
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:28 AM
CF Addict

Awesome guys. Thanks for the info. DO you guys use the jacks to change oil? I guess setting it on the jack stands will be fine while I am removing the filter and plug?

Can anyone confirm there is only one plug on the 2007 tahoes? Any hints about changing the oil? I am going to put in Mobil 1 tomorrow per Daves advice.
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:59 AM
CF Beginner

Hey Biglg, heres a tip for the oil change, make sure you lay down some type of floor cover and be ready for that oil to fly out to the side. Literally shoots out like a fire hose and as it emtpys, you have to move the oil catcher. Just a tip. I made a huge mess. Hahahaha.
Old November 4th, 2006, 1:00 AM
CF Addict

LOL, I am sure I will do the same, .

I have read different opinions about lubing/filling the filter when putting the new one on. What is everyones opinion on lubing the seal and/or putting oil in the filter?
Old November 4th, 2006, 1:55 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I got the Michelin jack at Sam's. Like it because it has a large lift pad and has a rubber insert in the center of it to help keep the vehicle from slipping off the jack. Never jack with a steel to steel interface if you can avoid it because if there is an angle between the lifting pad and the frame, it may slip. Also never get under the vehicle without it being down on the jack stands. I think most of the current consumer jacks are about the same as they are knockoffs made in Red China.

Definitely oil the filter gasket before installing it to prevent it from sticking to the adapter the next time you remove it and make sure that the old gasket came off with the filter. Prefilling the filter is a good idea but can be messy if the filter isn't one that installs vertically. Wished ours wasn't so small. One plug is all I saw.
Old November 4th, 2006, 2:23 AM
CF Active Member

Hey Biglg
I got my Silverado done the other day at the Dealership for less then $20.00 with a coupon. That beats all the jacking and crawling around and I didn't have to wash my hands when they got through. Oh yeah, I was out of there in 45 minutes.
Gman

Quick Reply: FLOOR JACK? WHICH ONE? RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A NOVICE PLEASE.