Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Follow Up: 2002 Suburban A/C Chirp Noise (Video Included)

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow Up: 2002 Suburban A/C Chirp Noise (Video Included)

I had posted about a month ago about an a/c chirping noise my 2002 Suburban has started making. It started back in June when I had to make a sharp U-turn. I was convinced it was a belt issue. Ever since then, my a/c has been making this chirp noise when accelerating, its a combination of a chirp / clanging noise. But when I get up to road speed, it pretty much goes away. The a/c has continued to work fine, no problems, except for the noise when accelerating. The other sympton is that at a low idle speeds or low speeds in drive (such as pulling into a parking lot), the power steering goes almost dead. This is why my gut says its a belt issue somewhere.
The past week my power steering pump has been checked, the power steering fluid drained and redone. The serpentine belt and a/c belts have been replace, as well as the a/c belt tensioner. Yet the noise continues. I have seen the reference to reprogramming your PCM with a software calibration that came out in October 2007 (STB 07-01-38-010) but from what I can find this does not cover a 2002 Suburban.

Here is a link to a video I made today of the sound (it sounds more banging on the video than it actually is), you can see it goes away when I turn off the a/c:

‪2002 Suburban A/C Noise‬‏ - YouTube

I am ready to take to a GM dealer here to check this out, but I am looking for any other suggestions. I pray its not the compressor, my gut says its a belt but I dont know what else to try. The fact that there is this noise plus the power steering issue at low speeds / idle is what makes me think its a belt issue somewhere.

Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

almost sounds like the fan hitting the shroud...

:dunno:

:chug:
Old August 2nd, 2011, 9:14 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Section: 01 - HVAC

Bulletin No.: 03-01-38~019A

Date: September, 2004

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Underhood Rattle Noise Heard On Acceleration (Check A/C System Performance and Compressor Operation)

Models:
2003-2004 Cadillac CTS
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2004 GMC Denali, Denali XL, Savana, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2002-2004 Commercial Upfitter Chassis Vehicles

with Air Conditioning (A/C)

This bulletin is being revised to update the service procedure and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-01-38-019 (Section 01 - HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment about an underhood rattle noise heard on acceleration or a sudden loss of A/C system performance.

Cause

This condition may be caused by liquid slugging of the A/C compressor. This condition may cause an internal failure in the A/C compressor. The serpentine belt tensioner and serpentine belt may also be damaged.

Correction

Technicians are to check the A/C system performance and compressor operation using the following repair procedure:

1. Open the hood and inspect the A/C compressor for damage and to see if the compressor is seized. Verify that the serpentine belt is not damaged or missing. If the A/C compressor is seized, proceed to Step 5.

2. Perform the A/C System Performance test. Refer to the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) section of SI. Correct any performance concerns or refrigerant leaks that are found.

3. Inspect the vehicle for other possible sources of A/C compressor noise or performance concerns. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-38-013 for more information.

4. After all other possible sources of A/C compressor noise or performance concerns have been eliminated, only then should the A/C compressor be replaced.

5. Remove the A/C compressor. Refer to the A/C Compressor Replacement procedure in the HVAC section of SI.

6. Inspect the transmission cooler lines for damage due to contact from the serpentine belt. Replace the transmission cooler lines if necessary.

7. Install an inline A/C system filter. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-38-006C for more information about A/C system flushing and filter installation procedures. An A/C system flush is not to be done unless prior authorization is given by the GM Area Service Manager (in Canada, the District Service Manager).

8. Install an A/C Suction Screen. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-39-003A for more information about A/C suction screen repair recommendations and procedures.

9. Install a new A/C compressor. Refer to the Compressor Replacement procedure in the HVAC section of SI.

10. Install a new orifice tube for the front A/C system. Refer to the Expansion (Orifice) Tube Replacement procedure in SI.

11. If the vehicle is a 2003 model year Chevrolet Express or GMC Savana van, the vehicle may require a new accumulator. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-01-38-016 for more information. This bulletin refers to an updated design accumulator that may improve the performance of the A/C system.

12. Install a new serpentine belt tensioner and serpentine belt if they have been damaged due to A/C system slugging or an A/C compressor seizure. The serpentine belt tensioner may have broken stop tabs and/or a missing front cap.

13. Verify proper operation of the A/C system.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 9:15 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

I have seen this several times sounds exactly like your video. Remove the ac belt see if noise goes away.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

so, does this sound like a belt related issue or is the compressor gone?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Need to do everything in above TSB. Most likely compressor. Look close at AC belt tensioner usually is broken
Old August 3rd, 2011, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

thanks as always for the feedback. what still gets me is that this problem all started the second after i was forced to make a sharp u turn back in the end of june. how can making a sharp u turn cause your a/c compressor to screw up? and what about the connection between this noise and the fact that my power steeling basically goes dead at low speed / idle? and besides this noise, my a/c continues to work perfectly.
i am taking it to my local chevy dealership tomorrow here in richmond va for them to diagnose, and bring a copy of the above TSB for reference. i know my way around an engine but i am not an expert. but i just can not understand how at the same second i was forced to make a quick shart u turn that my a/c started making this noise. that is what is driving me crazy.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 9:45 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

wild guess, is the power steering pump was put under a load on the turn and that in turn put more stress on the rest of the system... or maybe it was just pure coincident...
Old August 4th, 2011, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

took by dealership....is the compressor...

so, has anybody had luck buying compressors from dealers on ebay? i dont have the funds to drop $1000 on everything.
Old August 4th, 2011, 7:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by valvano
took by dealership....is the compressor...

so, has anybody had luck buying compressors from dealers on ebay? i dont have the funds to drop $1000 on everything.
they quoted you a grand for the compressor???

go get one at auto zone ($200-280) or the like swap it out yourself and have the system evacuated and recharge. problem solved.

:chug:

Quick Reply: Follow Up: 2002 Suburban A/C Chirp Noise (Video Included)