Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front End Noise on 2002 Tahoe

Old December 4th, 2005, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Noise on 2002 Tahoe

On my 2002 Tahoe, I have noticed an unusual sound coming the front end. The noise is like a bumping sound accompanied by a crunching sound (likerubber contactingmetal). This only occurs when making a right hand turn. A visual inspection does not reveal anything. Whenever this noise occurs, I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Front End Noise on 2002 Tahoe

Sounds like your intermediate steering shaft needs lubricating. Check with your dealer; they sell a kit for that ($20, or so). There was a TSB on this issue also that requests the dealer replace the shaft. If it's still under warranty, get them to do it.
Old March 26th, 2006, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Front End Noise on 2002 Tahoe

ORIGINAL: HI Hoe

Sounds like your intermediate steering shaft needs lubricating. Check with your dealer; they sell a kit for that ($20, or so). There was a TSB on this issue also that requests the dealer replace the shaft. If it's still under warranty, get them to do it.
I have an 04 Avalanche which is making the same noise. It makes a clunking type noise when turning or when hitting bumps. You can feel it in the steering wheel. I have checked the front end for any "play" and the ball joints seem fine. I think it may be the steering shaft.

My truck is no longer under warranty. Can anyone tell me how to lubricate the intermediate steering shaft. Is this the shaft that runs between the firewall and the power steering box??? I would like to fix this myself if possible. Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2006, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Here is a link to download a tutorial on PDF to lube the steering intermediate shaft.

Cheers,

Eric.

Steering Intermediate Shaft Lube
Old May 11th, 2006, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow for the shaft lube kit!
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
CF Active Member

yeah there was a bulletin for replacement, although they realized that that wasn't fixing it for long either. So now they have an updated lube kit and it's supost to last a while.