Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front DVD navigation--can I play dvd movies?

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2007, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front DVD navigation--can I play dvd movies?

Hi,

I have bought a new 2007 Tahoe with front dvd navigation entertainment system. I did not buy a rear dvd entertainment system. Anyways, I was curious, am I able to play actual DVD movies on this thing?

I keep reading about lockpicks and whathaveyou but am a bit confused. Can someone please set me straight?

Thanks!
Old October 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Front DVD navigation--can I play dvd movies?

Welcome. If you didn't get the Rear DVD entertainment system, then no, the unit can't play DVD movies directly by putting in a dvd in the cd drive above the screen. The MAP DVD slot behind the screen can't read dvd movies either.

However, you can buy a device called a lockpick from Coastal Tech. It provides a RCA VIDEO input to the screen. When you activate it, it tricks your NAV into thinking its in reverse, bypasses your rear camera and plays whatever video you have connected to the Lockpick. This will allow you to connect a external DVD player to the screen. It doesnt provide Audio. For sound, you would have to use a FM modulator or use the AUX MP3 input at the top right corner of the screen. hope this helps
Old October 4th, 2007, 3:12 PM
CF Active Member

Another reason why I bought an aftermarket
Old October 4th, 2007, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

I wouldnt recommend the coastal product, as I just finally after 8 months of having it in, took it out and bought aAlpine unit that does everything while rolling down the roadand its near flat like the nav unit, and it works with the steering controls.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=IVA-W205

I kept having electrical failures related to thepiece, which gave me all sorts of electrical malfunctions,I finallyam free of electrical issues for months now since it was taken out.
I had mine installed by a stereo shop,and it worked flawlessly, but for some reasonI guess itwasnt compatable with my radio/nav unit.
Each month I found myself in the shop trying to figure out why my radio had a high pitch whistling sound in the background that would randomly come on and off.
It then moved to other problems in the tahoe that I had taken it in for not even related to the radio.
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:53 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: tahoe2007

I wouldnt recommend the coastal product, as I just finally after 8 months of having it in[.]

I kept having electrical failures related to thepiece, which gave me all sorts of electrical malfunctions,I finallyam free of electrical issues for months now since it was taken out.
I had mine installed by a stereo shop,and it worked flawlessly, but for some reasonI guess itwasnt compatable with my radio/nav unit.
Each month I found myself in the shop trying to figure out why my radio had a high pitch whistling sound in the background that would randomly come on and off.
It then moved to other problems in the tahoe that I had taken it in for not even related to the radio.
That's too bad! I've had my system installed for about a month now and it's worked well consistently. I even had the Bluetooth phone module installed (which also works well). The high pitched noise sounds like ground loop noise. The general electrical issues sound pretty scary... I wonder if you got a bad unit or the shop installed it incorrectly or poorly (loose wire somewhere perhaps?).

In any case, glad to hear you found another solution.
Old October 7th, 2007, 7:17 AM
CF Active Member

I have had the coastaletech lockpick for a approximately 4 months without issues. Definitely a product to consider.