Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front End Clunk - 2002 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2015, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Clunk - 2002 Suburban

Guys, I know there has been a lot of talk about this - bear with me I am new to this forum.

I have a 2002 Suburban LS with only 86K miles on it - It is in beautiful shape but it has a front end clunk that is driving me nuts. The intermediate steering shaft was supposedly replaced recently, and the sway bar (links?).

The problem occurs on the highway when I hit any kind of bump. The front end makes a 'clunk clunk clunk' noise. Also when I am on an entrance/exit ramp and the vehicle is leaning toward the passenger side. Sounds to me like it is coming from the drivers side front wheel but I don't think that is it. Sometimes I feel it in the steering column.

I've read something about control arm bushings on this forum - I suppose that could be it?

I took the suburban to a chevy dealer to diagnose it - they are the ones who replaced the sway bar links but then after that said - the front end is in 'great shape'

Drives me nuts. It's such a nice suburban I just can't enjoy the ride because of that clunk!

Thanks guys.
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caddy468
Guys, I know there has been a lot of talk about this - bear with me I am new to this forum.

I have a 2002 Suburban LS with only 86K miles on it - It is in beautiful shape but it has a front end clunk that is driving me nuts. The intermediate steering shaft was supposedly replaced recently, and the sway bar (links?).

The problem occurs on the highway when I hit any kind of bump. The front end makes a 'clunk clunk clunk' noise. Also when I am on an entrance/exit ramp and the vehicle is leaning toward the passenger side. Sounds to me like it is coming from the drivers side front wheel but I don't think that is it. Sometimes I feel it in the steering column.

I've read something about control arm bushings on this forum - I suppose that could be it?

I took the suburban to a chevy dealer to diagnose it - they are the ones who replaced the sway bar links but then after that said - the front end is in 'great shape'

Drives me nuts. It's such a nice suburban I just can't enjoy the ride because of that clunk!

Thanks guys.

Having forums like this is great. Its been my MO to get to ground zero on maintenance.

First things first is to make sure every greasable part is greased. I like to grease front ends with the load removed from the joints.

Check inner body panel fittings to make sure they are secure.

Check front wheel bearing by raising car and moving in a linear fashion.

Check for irregular tire wear and make sure tires are filled equally.

Check to make sure your shocks are good, bad shocks will wear internally and can transmit this noise into the cab.

Everything above can be checked and greased within 30 minutes of jacking front end.

Check motor mounts and tranny mounts.

my question is does the noise come with compression of the suspension or extension?

Can you feel the noise through brake pedal when you are on the brakes.

I had a denali that made a suspension noise and found that the plastic skid plate on my running boards were loose. SMH I only found this out after crawling underneath the car and using the running board to scoot under the car.
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you Scotiapilot, I appreciate it!

Hard to say if the noise is on compression or release. I would have to say release. I'll hit a bump, and then immediately after I will feel a 'thunk thunk thunk' aftershock. Also the brake pedal isn't related, no.

Another thing I totally forgot to mention - at 65+ mph, there is a shake in the front end also - almost like tire with a shifted belt. No out of balance noise, however. Seems a lot worse when the suburban is loaded with people. I raised each wheel and spun them all to check out of round - found no issues. Tire pressures are all equal. So it's a shake combined with a 'thunk'

I will definitely check for loose body panel or running board. Didn't think of those things. I'll get it up on jack stands and check it out. I have a grease gun so I'll grease everything and check the front bearings.

I had a 2006 Silverado before this suburban. I could drive my Silverado 75mph and there was never any shake or vibration. This Suburban is so shaky I wouldn't drive it much over 65.
Old August 19th, 2015, 1:19 PM
CF Senior Member

well that makes me think tie rod end play or drop/drag link for steering........somebody else will chime in here in a lil bit I am sure
Old August 19th, 2015, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Interesting. Well it does travel through the steering wheel for sure.
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chiming back in here

Thanks again for your help, ScotiaPilot.

I sold out and took the suburban back to the chevy dealership because I'm going to be taking a road trip with it soon.

I just thought of the right terminology to use for my problem - the front drivers side wheel acts like "a dribbling basketball" and also - the suburban has a 'shake shake shake' at highway speeds.

Dealership tells me it is the inner tie rods, and that the front shocks 'could be better.' (same dealership that told me last year the suspension was fine) So I am having the shocks and inner tie rods replaced/alignment. I thought for sure the shocks were fine but I suppose it can be hard to really tell.

So hopefully that is it. Thank you. We'll see how it rides when I pick it up and pay the tab... yikes.
Old August 25th, 2015, 1:14 PM
CF Senior Member

After its fixed be sure to let us all know.
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed

The dealership replaced the inner tie rods and the front shocks. Ended up replacing the rears as well, by mistake. That's a whole other story.

But anyway - one drive at highway speeds and I immediately noticed that the problem is no longer present. I just never would have thought that inner tie rods would cause a shake like that. The dealership said the shocks weren't leaking or 'bad' necessarily, but they thought it would be the only other thing causing the basketball-like thump when I hit any kind of bump in the road. Well, that is gone now. So I guess I am all set.
Old August 27th, 2015, 4:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Congrats! Glad my keyboard mechanic diagnostics were on!

Happy driving......

Did you get free rear shocks?