Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front wheel/axle noise

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2015, 1:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel/axle noise

There is a humming noise coming from the front of my 2007 suburban (4 wheeler drive) It sounds like it's on the driver side but I'm not quite sure. It's a humming noise that gets higher with speed and doesn't seem to have any relation to rpm.

Just to describe it, It kind of sounds like I have really big knobby tires that make that whining sound as they drive on the freeway.

Any ideas what this could be?
Old November 22nd, 2015, 3:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like you have worn wheel bearings.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 7:49 PM
CF Active Member

sounds like a wheel bearing as mention common problem with most vehicles.if you have access to a floor jack lift up the suspected side that the noise is coming from under the lower control arm and use a jack stand for safety.put vehicle in neutral,put one hand on the upper control arm and with the other hand spin the wheel by hand .if its bad you will feel the rumbling in your other hand on the control arm.this procedure works most of the time.some times when you suspect the bad wheel bearing on the right as an example its usually the opposite side.hope this helps.
Old January 7th, 2016, 8:09 AM
CF Junior Member

I have watched a few videos on how to change the wheel baring and most of them change both the baring and also the hub.

Should I change the while assembly or is that not necessarily required?
Old January 7th, 2016, 8:12 AM
CF Active Member

It comes as a complete bearing and hub assembly.
Old February 6th, 2016, 8:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks everyone. It only took me about 2 1/2 hours and I changed out the wheel hub and now it's quiet as a whistle
Old February 14th, 2016, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

Just saw that you got it taken care of, someone else will benefit from this. I know that sound! My drivers side hub/bearing was worn. Jack it up and shake the tire/wheel top to bottom, if there is play it's worn. Avoid the cheap aftermarket brands, Moog replacements are the best, you can find em for $260 each at your local parts house. I found two on Amazon for $143 each, and Prime free shipping. They were Moog, unopened, FM stamped on the back of the lug studs. The Utube videos really help, and eat your Wheaties! Good luck.

Last edited by OCJohn; February 14th, 2016 at 11:32 PM.