Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Fuse Box - Locking Handles

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2011, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Box - Locking Handles

Anyone know where a guy can get the gray handles that lock down the fuse box located under the hood? Broke one of the handles and when I contacted the dealer, was informed that they do not sale the hanldes individually. They are part of the fuse box body and the cost to replace it is rather salty; considering I only need one handle. It's for a 2007 Tahoe but am not certain if other models would work. I've been searching local salvage yards but not having any luck. Dealer was concern that without both handles locking the fuse box in place could cause it to bounce around. He suggested drilling holes in the fuse box body and use tie-straps to hold it in place. That may work but would rather only go that route as a last resort.
Old January 27th, 2011, 5:41 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

might check ebay, but your best local bet is going to be the junk yards....check with some impound yards also...
so I have to ask...how did it get broken??
Old January 27th, 2011, 6:21 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Wondering the same thing.
Old January 28th, 2011, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

I broke it when installing my brake controller. Was given incorrect information as to where the two wires needed to power brake controller and power the 7-pin trailer connector were located at. Thought I had to move fuse box to gain access to them so used the gray handles to unlock it. Unbeknownst to me, I was actually disconnecting the fuse box which opened a whole new can of worms. When locking the fuse box back in place, I apparently didn't have the one side's handle positioned correctly and ended up breaking the side of the handle off when pushing it down. My only regret was not searching this site beforehand. Found a couple of posts that not only mentioned the 07s no longer offered the option to use a wiring harness to connect to the fuse box under the dash but also where the two wires were actually located at. One also mentioned not to lift the fuse box handles to far as doing so would disconnect it and may require service. My problem with disconnecting it wasn't because I had disconnected the fuse box but because some of the connectors on the underside of the fuse box were not aligned properly when re-seating it. This ended up causing all kinds of problems. Lost power to stereo which took out nav and backup camera, had no aux power for dvd and heat controls, and the cruise control would not stay on. But all is good as the brake controller is now working and the dealer fixed the issues with the fuse box. Now just need to replace this darn handle.
Old September 14th, 2016, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

hey did you ever find a handle.. i broke mine as well
Old September 15th, 2016, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

did you find a handle
Old September 17th, 2016, 5:16 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The brief search I did, only shows the whole box and not the handles
Old September 23rd, 2016, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Will,

No, I never did find a replacement fuse box handle. Have since traded the 07 LTZ Tahoe for a 13 LTZ Suburban. What I ended up doing to eliminate the chance of the fuse box from lifting up or becoming unseated was to use one of those mini bungie cords to hold it in place once it was seated properly. It was just the right length to wrap around the fuse box body and clip on the underside of it. Thought this would be better than drilling holes in the fuse box body and using tie straps. Plus, if I ever did end up finding a handle, I wouldn't have those drill holes there. Hope this helps.