Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2008, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe transmission problem?

Help 2 weeks agoI tried to enter my Tahoe with my keyless entry unsucessfully. I unlocked my truck with key and the interiorlights did not come on. I started my truck and my stereo settings were all at default. I noticethe engine idle fluctuated and my instrument panel dimmedas the idle slowed.I did not notice any other problems. Then two days later while I was on the freeway I noticedthat my rpms were at 4000 and the oil pressure gauge was over 60 i immediately took my foot off the pedal and then tried to accellerate...the same thing occurred high rpm with out the power and it seemed that the truck wouldn't go into overdrive. Its been running the same ever since. I had a diagnosis ran and nothing showed up. I then took it to AMMCO and you know what they said! That I needed a new transmission. I would've probably fallen for that one if I hadnt had the electrical occurance. Has anyone else experienced this. Does anyone have any suggestions of possible alternative solution other than a new transmission. When I checked my fluid it did not smell burned or have discoloration. While all of this has been going for about 2 days my engine light came on.
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Tahoe transmission problem?

First thing that comes to my mind is to have the battery and Alt checked out, clear any codes and go from there.
You didn't say what year of Tahoe

and how many miles you have on it...

FYI I had to have my 1997 Tahoe's4l60E tranny rebuilt under warrenty at 11k becaue it spun a stator bearing....
Old August 17th, 2008, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

My Tahoe is a 2003. I have approximately 84,000 miles.
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM
CF Active Member

You said your check engine light came on.. Once it came on what did the code tell you?