Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Correct way to remove tail light lens?

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Correct way to remove tail light lens?

New ride, and lots of questions. What is the correct procedure to remove the tail lights from the body? The owner's manual says to pull the lens rearward, but I can't get it to budge. I removed the 2 body screws, what's next?
Old February 27th, 2007, 1:36 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Correct way to remove tail light lens?

Just pull straight out. My had some kind of glue/putty sealant stuff on them. Not sure if they all do. Mine might just have it because I took it in to the shop once because it wiggled a little. But remove the 2 screws, and PULL STRAIGHT out.
Old February 27th, 2007, 2:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put a rag between the bottom of the tail light and the bumper so you dont scratch your paint remove the two screws that are visable and then grap the other side and pull straight out towards you there are 2 body plugs that are holding it in on that side
Old May 17th, 2007, 4:54 AM
CF Beginner

i took it to the shop also, i'm not kinda well experienced removing my Chevrolet Pickup tailt light lens, i tried it once to do it myself but still, for me to be sure that it is perfectly done..i'd took it to the shop..
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:24 AM
CF Active Member

Jeff is right, make sure you put a rag between the bottom of the lense and the bumper. I didn't and ended up scratching one side of my bumper, the bottom of the lenses are very sharp! One of mine took forever to pull off and the other came right off (the one that scratched).
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:16 AM
CF Addict

Well, i am having a hard time with my own instructions on this. I have removed the tail lights probably 10 times between my two 2007 tahoes.

I dont know if it is old age and weak muscles or what, but damn they are getting harder to pull out. I feel like I am going to break ****. I have them out now and have two new styles I want to try but I am afraid I am going to break something pulling them out. They seem harder than ever to get out.

As for the rag trick, DO IT. My first 7 times or more of removing them no issues. Of course, last night the set I tried to take off was a bear to get out. I fking scratched, nicked the bumper in two little spots. PISSED ME off.

There has to be an easier way, or a tool that can be used to get the tail lights out. The design of the plastic retainders must have changed because they have gotten harder and harder with each set.

ANYONE with any tricks, tips, etc?

FYI, i am going to have either a set of IPCW Platinum Smoked tail lights or a brand new from dealership set of black denali lights with wiring/bulbs for sale. I am going to decide which ones I want to keep and sell the others.

I also would consider trading one or the other for somones escalade tail lights. THe IPCW retail for 300+..
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

After you have the 2 screws out you have to pull in the right area and with a sudden "jerk". If you just pull it feels as though it should have gone if it was going to. With the sudden jerk, itpullsout. You also have to remember where the retaining pins are. Don't just grab it in the black plastic area. Get most, but not all,of your grip out towards outer edge. That is tough but the angle of pressure matters.