Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Getting new front rotors - 07 Tahoe LTZ

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2006, 7:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting new front rotors - 07 Tahoe LTZ

I've had some squeaking coming from the brakes since we got the truck (1900 miles ago). I thought it was just normal and that it would go away as the pads and rotors wore in together. But yesterday when coming back from a road trip, they were squealing even when I wasn't on the brake pedal. When I got home and was washing the truck, I ran my fingers over the rotor surfaces (the outer surfaces, at least) and they were all smooth except the front right....it was grooved pretty good in several places.

Took the truck to the dealer today and had them check it out and they are going to replace both front rotors. The tech said it looked like a "bad cut" from the factory on both the front rotors.

I pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Old July 31st, 2006, 8:36 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Getting new front rotors - 07 Tahoe LTZ

Even with some of these problems, still the best looking SUV on the market...
Old August 1st, 2006, 2:23 AM
CF Beginner

Hmmm, i've noticed the squeaking as well - I have 1200 miles, it sounded like it was going away. I did look at the front rotors, looks like some grooves are developing. I'm going to keep my eyes on it - thanks for the update.
Old January 7th, 2008, 1:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Has anyone ever upgraded all of their rotors? and brake pads? im curious to know what is out there or ifthere is somethineven worth gettin performance wise. i have a 07 LS 2wd..not too sure if the stopping distance compared to ltz's or 4wd ones differ.
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:31 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The scored (tiny grooves) appearance is normal on the front brake rotors it is caused by the composition of the self-cleaning pad lining material.

These brakes are large, one side effect is that they may occasionally under certain conditions squeak; it is nothing to be alarmed about. Now if they make bad and/or loud noises all of the time then it would be advisable to have them inspected and repaired.
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

This happened to me when I first got my Tahoe last year. Went to dealer got new brakes and have not had any problems since then.

Old January 7th, 2008, 12:32 PM
CF Active Member

I've noticed the grooves only in my front passenger side rotor, all of the others are fine. You think this might be an issue to worry about?
Thank you,
Old January 8th, 2008, 1:41 AM
CF Junior Member

I have 18,000 miles on my'07 Tahoeand it seems like at about 12,000 miles I had a squeak also. I thought it may be a rock or something but I read on some previous posts that this was normal. When I had it serviced last..the dealer said the pads were in the yellow as far as wear...so I'm guessing I will probably have to replace them around 25,000 or so.
Old January 8th, 2008, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

My front rotors were slightly grooved and squeaking getting progressively worse. Took it to the dealer and the dealer claimed there was a TSB out for the front brake pad design that was causing grooving and squeaking. They machined the rotors and put on the new design pads and no more squeaking or grooving since.
Old January 8th, 2008, 9:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Although my Tahoe is a '96 and only has disc brakes on the front, Iinstalled SSBC rotors, calipers (dual piston) and pads. I believe it does stop quicker but to be honest, I have been trying to "stiffen" the pedal.

I have basically rebuilt the brake system: booster, master cylinder, lines, etc. but I still get more travel on the pedal than I like. I want it to be more like my Impala, heavy resistance as soon as Istart pressing the pedal and not alot of travel. When I upgraded the brakes I was looking for boosters and cylinders that provided more pressure and didn't find anything but I am still looking.