Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ghost security system...

Old November 22nd, 2015, 1:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghost security system...

1999 Suburban LT 5.7 I replaced the turn signal/do everything switch and the ignition switch. When I attempt to start it, absolutely nothing happens, like the old security system had been put back in. I can turn on lights and the emergency flashers. Nothing associated with the key being in either "on" position happens. I initially replaced the turn signal/do everything switch and everything worked after I reassembled it. The next morning was when the current problem started. I'm at a loss for ideas because I'm a brakes guy. I'm supposed to start a new job tomorrow and I'm stuck.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 8:13 PM
CF Active Member

did you say you replaced the ignition switch and the key tumbler,it may need to relearn the pass code for the key.to relearn turn ignition on and bump the key,your security light should start to flash.after ten minutes the security light should stop flashing. shut the key off for a few seconds and try and start it.it might start and it may not,i can,t remember off hand but some gms needed to relearn the key code three times in order to allow the vehicle to start.hope this helps.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the response! I don't think mine is a Passkey system, there's no chip on the key and the Wal Mart made generic key always worked. I'm replacing the housing and the new one uses the Passkey system (it comes with a lock cylinder and keys). At this point I'm stuck because I can't get the retainer clip off and the plate it holds in pace is blocking access to the 2 screws on the housing.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 6:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

a 99 would be a passlock system not passkey. passlock systems use a resistor in the lock cylinder housing. Was the housing replaced? try performing a passlock relearn procedure if the theft light is coming on and staying on.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 8:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the information! That's having to wait, however. The first picture shows part of the current problem and the second picture shows where that broken tab went. That happened while trying to remove the old ignition switch with those oddball screws, no proper tool, and almost no space to work in. Apparently the housing is sold without the actuators, so a new search is underway. I tried supergluing the tab back on, but this is some weird ceramic-like plastic that doesn't stick to superglue well at all.

Also, any system that would activate when the key is in the "On" position is nonexistent. I tried with the original lock cylinder, but with the actuator being broken it's really difficult.
Attached Thumbnails Ghost security system...-20151122_160641.jpg   Ghost security system...-20151122_160650.jpg  

Last edited by Whiskey_Sauer; November 23rd, 2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old November 26th, 2015, 11:30 AM
CF Junior Member

One of my friends through family is a GM mechanic, he said I'm nowhere near the actual problem. He's taken my Suburban to his shop and is repairing it at no cost to me. Also threw in a new battery. Gotta love family!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 3:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Just heard from the guy working on my truck. It runs, but little else happens. Makes me think the ECM is toast. Meanwhile I don't have any alternative transportation. Dang.

Search this Thread