Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GM Active Fuel Management Woes

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2014, 4:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I wouldn't keep what you know a secret, can't see how that will help you. Go in, ask for the service manager, tell him about your research and your Tahoe has all the symptoms of AFM failure and you want the engine fixed under warranty.

Next, you need to not let them just do their bandaid fixes, if they say leave it another week for the rings, say no, that isn't the issue, here is all the data I have from my research. If no luck, go to the regional Chevy rep or complaint line and get them started on the case.
Old September 4th, 2014, 8:47 PM
CF Junior Member

I guess I'm a lucky guy. I have a 2007 silverado 5.3 with fuel management. I have never added oil between changes but I do have the dealership change the syn blend every 4k miles. I recently changed to the 4.11 gears since I tow a travel trailer and had to get it recalibrated at a local performance shop. I took it to work the next morning and still got 17.5 miles to a gallon doing 70-75MPH. The only thing that was weird is that I never saw the fuel management come on. I e-mailed the tuner when I got home and he says he always turns it off. He says I will gain 2 mpg as it is a counter productive program that can cause damage. The trucks runs like a champ and even tows better. Good little half ton
Old September 5th, 2014, 8:36 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To rkrmom07, I would look into getting an extended warranty now, before your powertrain is up. Only if you can get a GM one however, as I have never heard anything good about the "aftermarket" warrantys.

Other than that, it sounds like they are doing what they can for you. Mine has 181k on it. I bought it used and so far so good. I think depending on what block you get, some are more prone to the afm issue than others. I drove mine for about 4k miles noticed no consumption at all. Had the oil changed at the dealer before a long trip towing to nashville and back and then to ohio and back. I think I put on about 6-7k miles and I maybe used a half - three quarters of a quart? I don't know if that had to do with towing or not. Had the oil changed again, this time I have towed once 600 mile rt, and I think I am about 1700 miles in, and haven't lost any.

I have been considering turning off the afm as the poster above did, but I dunno, its like if it ain't broke why fix it? Maybe it would help with mileage as I only get 16 mpg, maybe a little better on long highway trips. 18 mpg vs 16 mpg would make me feel better mentally, but I doubt I would see any change in my wallet lol.
Old September 5th, 2014, 8:42 AM
CF Junior Member

I don't believe the claims of better mileage with the AFM turned off. An aftermarket tuner will give better mileage, AFM or no AFM, but I can't see a valid argument that the AFM system burns more fuel than without it.

I thought about turning mine off too. After reading about the system here and elsewhere I'm not so sure turning it off prevents failure, the complex lifter mechanism is still there whether it's being used or not, but I really don't know, maybe turning it off helps. I bought mine with 49,000 miles, now at 79,000, so far it burns no oil at all in 3,000 mile change intervals.
Old September 5th, 2014, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default 09 Tahoe Oil Consumption problems

I am sorry to hear of your problem. Approximately 3 years ago, I heard of these problems and investigated the history. The 2007 thru 2009 5.3 AFM engines (for sure had this problem).

GM had offered a 50/50 replacement...when generous. 50% of $6500 is what you would have to pay. The sad part...is that you would likely have the same problem in 69,000 miles again...unless you shut off AFM Via a tuner modification on the new replacement engine.

One option, is to spend the $3250 on a new replacement engine, and pay a tuner to shut off AFM. However, GM will not warrant your replacement engine...if you have a tune job done to it. But, if your vehicle is good otherwise...I would consider it.

I purchased a used "pre-AFM" 2006 Suburban with the 5.3 V8...just to avoid AFM. I can't see you trading it off for another $40k Tahoe unless money is no object.

There are many others with this same problem. I despise GM for treating their customers like this. CARCOMPLAINTS.COM was very helpful in identifying AFM problems...by year!

Fords and Dodge have had problems...but Chevy had a major problem here!
Old September 5th, 2014, 3:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Roknwoe, are you sure from your research that disabling AFM will definitely prevent the failure? I haven't been clear on that point, and thought from my reading that it wasn't necessarily the case, that the complex valve train can fail even in a vehicle with AFM disabled. Am I wrong?
Old September 7th, 2014, 3:22 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi rkrmom07,

I completely understand that you are feeling frustrated with your current vehicle situation. Is your vehicle still at the dealership? Can I be of any assistance? Feel free to contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 7th, 2014, 5:54 PM
CF Junior Member

don't believe the claims of better mileage with the AFM turned off. An aftermarket tuner will give better mileage, AFM or no AFM, but I can't see a valid argument that the AFM system burns more fuel than without it.
Believe it or don't, this comes from one of the best tuners around. I went from 3.42 gears to 4.11 gears and am getting exactly the same mileage. I use to watch the AFM on the onscreen and even driving on flat ground it would just switch back and forth. That in itself sounds counterproductive to me. Add the problems it is causing and its a no brainer to turn it off.
Old September 9th, 2014, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default GM Engine issues

Had a 2008 Yukon Hybrid, engine (6 liter) issues at 62,000 miles. Engine replaced promptly. I would advise to continue making noise. This is obviously an issue they knew about before 2012. The honorable thing to do would be to cover the entire thing, however----.

I ended up trading the Yukon in at 87,000 miles because the power steering quit and since it was all electrical, the tear down to check it was going to be starting at $800.

Good luck.
Old October 13th, 2014, 4:48 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Damned expensive camshaft. And I thought $500 for a roller cam and lifters was a lot ten years ago.

As for a replacement truck, I'd check out a Ram.

Quick Reply: GM Active Fuel Management Woes