Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GM Active Fuel Management Woes

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2016, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently added an oil catch can same as vgreid, should I disconnect it next time I do a Seafoam flush?
Old January 13th, 2016, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default So it was time again..

Hi again.

So now after almost exactly 1 year, 11000 miles my rig started again..
My own fault, I should done the catch can and the Shut-Off thing..
One year.. no problems at all! done my oil changes at shorter times even..
Only the best son oil and filters, but nope! This GM engines is not up to work!
I really hoped, or wanted to hope, that GM/Chevrolet "things"worked..
I wanted to "dream" about that the issue with My Burb, was just an occasion..
Not a failure from GM!
But now I for sure know!
GM totally failed on this engines structure
Eco engine, Shut off valve etc.. good and nice dreams, but hey!? Wake up!!!
So how is it going with all the new GM vehicles? Same garbage??
Or did they hear Us here, who was expecting something reliable when buying Chevy/GMC??? The people who put their sweated earned, and taxed money into this?
This rigs isn't cheap!! It is not any KIA, or Saturn prices!!
So what did we get for our money? A nice statue, ornament in the driveway?? While driving a Toyota or Audi instead? Driving something reliable while looking on our expensive piece of sheet metal standing there, something that was suppose to be, in my case, a Suburban that I was proud of, something "Made in America".. Ha!!

GM...
Old January 13th, 2016, 2:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey vgreid, did the alternator bracket/attachment and hoses come with your moroso can? Sorry, If I missed it, but what is the part number for the the catch can and any other items that are pertinent to this install. Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2016, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Typerod
Hey vgreid, did the alternator bracket/attachment and hoses come with your moroso can? Sorry, If I missed it, but what is the part number for the the catch can and any other items that are pertinent to this install. Thanks!
When I ordered the Moroso catch can for my 2013 Suburban, I got the wrong one from Amazon. I checked with Moroso tech services, and they suggested the correct application for Chevy/GMC trucks was their number 85481. It is available from Amazon and comes with the alternator bracket and hoses.
Old January 14th, 2016, 6:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by muldoon
When I ordered the Moroso catch can for my 2013 Suburban, I got the wrong one from Amazon. I checked with Moroso tech services, and they suggested the correct application for Chevy/GMC trucks was their number 85481. It is available from Amazon and comes with the alternator bracket and hoses.
Sweet! Thanks for the assistance Muldoon! Do you happen to know if I use an existing bolt on the alternator bracket? Or if it comes with a bolt? Thanks again!

update: looks like it doesn't come with a bolt. i'll check my tahoe to see if there is an existing bolt where vgreid mounted his.

Last edited by Typerod; January 14th, 2016 at 6:26 AM.
Old January 14th, 2016, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Sweet! Thanks for the assistance Muldoon! Do you happen to know if I use an existing bolt on the alternator bracket? Or if it comes with a bolt? Thanks again!

update: looks like it doesn't come with a bolt. i'll check my tahoe to see if there is an existing bolt where vgreid mounted his.
The notes above are correct on the part number and mine did come with a bolt. The only thing I added was a washer.

Knock on wood, mine is still running great. Between the catch can and the range AFM defeat, I have not had any issues since doing so. I continue to recommend both for our generation of AFM.

On a side note, I also used this part # for my 2014 Impala. That DI v6 collects quite a bit of oil!
Old January 14th, 2016, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

There is an existing threaded hole (no bolt) on the alternator bracket that the bolt that comes with the Moroso kit fits into.
Old June 1st, 2016, 12:14 AM
CF Beginner

Hi
Time for a tear down
The lifters did not manage to "continue..
Well, now it is going to be "normal" lifters and a better cam in the same time..
My AFM is deleted in the computer now, and I also do the same in the engine=AFM Delete!!
ARP studs and a good set of gaskets..
Anyone who had put headers on these rigs?? Experience? Please let me know
Thanx
Old August 21st, 2016, 7:26 PM
CF Junior Member

GOSH DARNIT!!!! ( that's not the words i really wanted to use)
Why didn't i see this thread earlier?
Well, let us all pray for me, i do have extended warranty, i hope they don't come with some sideways stuff about what they want cover...
Old August 25th, 2016, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Did Chevy stop making vehicles with AFM in 2011? I am looking for another vehicle to replace my 07 suburban. Got misfire on cylinder 4 (taken care of but then P0300 code) and an intake lifter that moves 2 strokes then stops moving. Sick of the problems with it. I know the LS motors are good but don't want to deal with AFM. Want 6 seats, 4 wd, cargo room. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: GM Active Fuel Management Woes