Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GM Active Fuel Management Woes

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2016, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catranzoo
Did Chevy stop making vehicles with AFM in 2011? I am looking for another vehicle to replace my 07 suburban. Got misfire on cylinder 4 (taken care of but then P0300 code) and an intake lifter that moves 2 strokes then stops moving. Sick of the problems with it. I know the LS motors are good but don't want to deal with AFM. Want 6 seats, 4 wd, cargo room. Any suggestions?
My 2013 still has AFM.
Old August 26th, 2016, 4:25 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

You can get a module that plugs into the OBDII port that defeats the AFM. It's called Range something.
Old August 26th, 2016, 5:14 PM
CF Junior Member

And my motor is gone....Guy at service quoted me $7400, and said he was giving me a deal. I have this feeling my extended warranty isnt going to cover a whole motor.. I think they cover parts failure, but not the whole motor.!!! ugh!!
i need a bottle of Hennessy now!!
Old August 29th, 2016, 5:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Did Chevy stop making vehicles with AFM in 2011? I am looking for another vehicle to replace my 07 suburban. Got misfire on cylinder 4 (taken care of but then P0300 code) and an intake lifter that moves 2 strokes then stops moving. Sick of the problems with it. I know the LS motors are good but don't want to deal with AFM. Want 6 seats, 4 wd, cargo room. Any suggestions?
Last time I looked there was no AFM on the 2500 series with a 6.0L
Old August 30th, 2016, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

AFM was just GM's initial version of Variable Valve Timing. Good video youtube video
on Variable Valve Timing.

GM...just like every car manufacturer...has improved Variable Valve Timing over the year.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:08 AM
CF Junior Member

I have a question. Due to a lifter fail (per extended warranty) Can that lifter just be replaced and then i go along my merrily way??
Old September 2nd, 2016, 1:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Romeo5k
I have heard a several different scenarios,
typically all lifters are replaced on the failing lifter side IF the camshaft is not damaged. (I believe the thinking is if it ain't broke don't fix it)

If the cam shaft is damaged, then the cam and ALL lifters are replaced, both sides. Depending on how extensive the damage is to the cam, meaning how much metal has been dumped into the engine, a new engine may be the better choice.
Old October 5th, 2016, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

First timer on the Chevy forum.

Just a little back ground. I am a honda guy. Driven nothing but Honda pretty much. So, why am I here you ask?
Family currently drives 2 mini vans, yes, both Honda 2005 and 2013. With 3 boys, growing at rapid speed, wife wants something bigger. Well, that leaves very little choice out there, and one of the top vehicle on the list is Chevy Suburban.

Now, why this particular topic? Well, I am not sure if any of you know, Honda has similar technology (well, essentially same) called, VCM (Variable cylinder management) on their V6 engines (they don't make v8). And they also have the same problem with this, like all you are stating with AFM. I did have to replace engine on my 2005, due to cylinder failure at 110K miles. Honda recently lost class action lawsuit which covers 2008 to 2011 models, and they are continuing to modify and improve (well, at least tried to anyways). There is work around in Honda/Acura engines to disable the VCM/AFM feature on the vehicle, and many owners reports it works and car drives better. There is a huge amount of folks with failure with their engine, which typically starts off with excessive oil consumption (same symptom, right?). Then banging noise, rough at idle, basically same thing. Only common thread between GM and Honda? You guessed it, VCM/AFM. Do a google search which will point you with many Honda owners with same issues.

Someone at work told me about GM having similar tech, and I wanted to find out if it was an issue...well, it looks like it is. Seems like there is work around, even though not perfect by any means, but there is ability to turn this feature off. From person who is looking to potentially buy Chevy, and if I do buy it, I would turn this feature off right from the start. I personally believe this is a technology that auto mfg wanted to implement to meet EPA standard, however it is just poor **** technology, where it leaves many owners who keeps their car with $$$$ repair cost...and typically out of warranty, just like mine.

I think someone mentioned that there is no good alternatives out there that competes with Suburban, and I think it is true. Now, knowing this is a issue and there is work around, I feel bit better, even though I wish there are more choices out there.

Oil change interval doesn't help, using synthetic doesn't help, seafoam sometimes help, but that's not fixing root cause, just bandaid solution, only thing to do is disable to AFM/VCM, if you want less trouble. I've been using nothing buy synthetic since purchase, shorten the change cycle to 5-6K miles, but nothing.

This is something I am going to ask the sales guys, and want to talk to the service advisors as well to see if they know about this issue.

I hope you guys don't mind Honda guy chiming in, but as a potential buying of Sub, I thought I would provide my input from someone outside the GM.

AFM/VCM is not really related to VVT/VTEC, just FYI
Old December 12th, 2016, 8:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the Honda Insight dooboo. That is useful information.
I have a 2013 LT Suburban with 52k miles and I'm concerned about the longevity of my engine. I sold my 2005 with 100k miles and never had any issues with the engine. I had a bad misfire problem with my 2013 with 48k miles and it turned out to be a broken valve spring on cylinder 7; probably somehow AFM related. My dealer fixed it no charge under the powertrain warranty. Runs fine now but I am tempted to disable the AFM. I use only synthetic oil and my engine consumes 1-2 quarts between oil changes. I usually add1 qt at about 3k miles and when gets to the bottom of the stick again at about 5k miles I change the oil instead of adding.

It's unfortunate that this technologic advance causes these problems. I recently purchased a 2013 Cadillac CTS and was happy it didn't have AFM, but then I found out it has Direct Injection, which s known to cause carbon buildup problems which also can effect longevity. Ugh, progress.
Old December 24th, 2016, 4:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by theswede
Hi again.

So now after almost exactly 1 year, 11000 miles my rig started again..
My own fault, I should done the catch can and the Shut-Off thing..
One year.. no problems at all! done my oil changes at shorter times even..
Only the best son oil and filters, but nope! This GM engines is not up to work!
I really hoped, or wanted to hope, that GM/Chevrolet "things"worked..
I wanted to "dream" about that the issue with My Burb, was just an occasion..
Not a failure from GM!
But now I for sure know!
GM totally failed on this engines structure
Eco engine, Shut off valve etc.. good and nice dreams, but hey!? Wake up!!!
So how is it going with all the new GM vehicles? Same garbage??
Or did they hear Us here, who was expecting something reliable when buying Chevy/GMC??? The people who put their sweated earned, and taxed money into this?
This rigs isn't cheap!! It is not any KIA, or Saturn prices!!
So what did we get for our money? A nice statue, ornament in the driveway?? While driving a Toyota or Audi instead? Driving something reliable while looking on our expensive piece of sheet metal standing there, something that was suppose to be, in my case, a Suburban that I was proud of, something "Made in America".. Ha!!

GM...
Did you find out where you were knocking?... I really appreciate your thorough experience theswede. I'm thinking of purchasing a 2007 sierra with 313000kms (187000 miles) with a new cam chain and all new lifters... But nothing seems to really jive with these 5.3.... But man, do I like that truck... I'm blinded by the shear beauty and with all the bells and whistles.... Should I give myself a good smack? Or is there still light at the end of the tunnel?

Quick Reply: GM Active Fuel Management Woes