Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GM Active Fuel Management Woes

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2017, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noob here who's shopping for a Sub or Avalanche maybe... I'd be getting a 2009 - 2011 most likely based on what I think I can afford.

Is there any way to inspect a used vehicle for "health" of the AFM system and engine in general? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old October 1st, 2017, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

at least they offered to pay something. I have a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3ltr AFM. i replaced the motor last year with only 89,000 miles. Chevrolet denied any problems with system, they company that put in the new motor told me that the system failed let oil into the gas and ruined low end and top end. I had the long block replaced but not to sure of the fuel mgnt. system anymore and I am looking for a good way to do it. I saw a show on TV that they replaced the valves put a shim in the cam and replaced valley cover to get rid of solenoids. I just read an article on the V8 Range I am not sure i would like to find out more about it or somr otherway.
Old March 26th, 2018, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Uh-oh.

My 2007 Suburban 1500 5.3L has the same problems.

I bought a "tune" to disable displacement on demand (DOD)/active fuel management.

But it's still consuming oil @ 75,000 miles, though not as much as before I disabled AFM.

Always have used synthetic since I got it @40,000 miles, but what else should I do in order not to have to buy a new engine?

Last edited by ncbill; March 26th, 2018 at 9:58 AM.
Old March 19th, 2019, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Angry AFM killed my 2015 Suburban engine

I own a 2015 Suburban it is the fourth Suburban that I have owned since 1990. Out of the blue last Saturday as my wife was driving to an appointment, the vehicle would not go over 35 MPH.. With 106,000 miles there was no hint of an powertrain problem (performance or noise) when it was last drive two days earlier. The dealer was open on Saturday and I drove it slowly the two miles from our home after my wife had gone no further than three miles. When the engine was disassembled on Monday collapsed exhaust valve lifter was discover. Today (Tuesday) the service technician notified me that the cylinder wall had been damaged and you know the rest . . . a new engine was ordered with the bill being about $8,500!

As a GM engineer for thirty-seven years (now retired) I am very angry (pissed really) that this AFM design flaw has seemingly gone uncorrected for years. If the system is not reliable, then it should not be offered, or it should be repaired at no cost to the owner for the life of the vehicle. There goes my summer vacation plans.

My previous Suburbans all got 200,000 to 260,000 miles before they were sold. I think one is still running. I just read an item on line list the Suburban as the best vehicle in this region area to go over 100,00 miles. I would like a GM official to explain why this design has not been improved. I would also like to know how many vehicle (SUVs and trucks) with this engine have suffered this fate (lifter replacements or engine replacement.

Was ably to use my longevity with GM and customer loyalty to convince GM Customer Service to give me a $4,000 credit toward the final bill and a loaner vehicle. I am grateful for that, but I will still have a $4,000 hole in my budget. I had just spent $700 on 100,000 mile maintenance in February.
Old March 20th, 2019, 6:46 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Unreal, I had heard a few stories of this happening on newer GM products, but this is the worst case. I too cannot believe that GM doesn't recognize and deal with this. BUT, in the 1980s, I had a GMC full size blazer with a 305 that ate up its camshaft. I ended filing with an agency in the state of MN (consumer protection, better business, not sure as its been a while) and had a hearing where GM was supposed to call in and talk about the problem. They didn't and the arbitrator found in my favor - except I was too nice and didn't ask for enough for the pain in the rear in dealing with the problem.
Old October 17th, 2020, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default Recall This Engine already

Originally Posted by msw007
So I received a phone call from GM Corporate (my letters got through). I have spoke with him several times and as of now GM is holding firm on the 50/50. They say because I accepted the deal there's nothing else they can do? I reminded him I accepted the deal because I had a useless car and it had to be fixed (holding a gun to my head).
I told him right up front I'm not looking to get off without paying anything. I understand the car was out of warranty but the fact of the matter is the engine failed under 100K miles.
He said there were a few more upper management people he could plead my case to. So I don't know if he's blowing smoke up my a** or he's being truthful. We'll see.
Sound like DURRESS, there's a remedy for that.
Old October 4th, 2021, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Replaced Engine

So how are the new/replaced engines? I am looking at a 2009 Suburban (has 165,000) that had the engine replaced 35k miles ago. Did they fix the problem? Glad I found this thread!

Thanks
Old October 5th, 2021, 7:14 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by pdcutler
So how are the new/replaced engines? I am looking at a 2009 Suburban (has 165,000) that had the engine replaced 35k miles ago. Did they fix the problem? Glad I found this thread!

Thanks
Yes and no. I've been running a Range AFM eliminator in my '11 for 100k miles now as not to have a issue. Full synthetic oils only also.
Old October 5th, 2021, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Following up

Originally Posted by pdcutler

Thanks
After 30,000 miles on the new engine no problems, but I expect that anytime after 50,000 it will happen again.

The latest GM issue on my Suburban . . .

I needed new ball joints, which are a part of the upper control arm assembly. The dealer did not have the parts and nowhere in GM wear any parts available. I had to order them online at carparts.com. They were half the price of the GM parts. The dealer installed them.
Old December 14th, 2021, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

The newest Suburban failure--not the replaced engine, but a faulty torque converter at145,000 miles. The problem, a converter clutch failure, may have been lurking for some miles before that. So here I am a fe weeks before Xmas and facing a $5,000 repair bill. I am not very confident that this suburban will reach 250,000 like my other three.

I aske the dealer about buying a new Suburban. The replay was that If I ordered one with the same equipment as the 2015, it might be September or October 2022, if I was lucky. I asked if there were any similar vehicles on the lot. The reply to that was they do not have any Suburbans on the lot.

I am not sure what the best alternative is.

Quick Reply: GM Active Fuel Management Woes