Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GM Active Fuel Management Woes

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2014, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typically it involves an oil change, so I would think that if you pay for the oil change they won't charge you anything extra. Now, you may also want them to pull a couple of spark plugs to see what they look like - whether they are gummed up or clean. Make them cover the cost of checking the plugs.
Old April 24th, 2014, 8:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kman4015
Well, I spent time at the Chevrolet dealership this morning and have the results of the oil consumption test. After about 1,400 miles, it was determined that nearly 2 quarts of oil were used! This, in addition to the information gathered at the first appointment, led them to the inevitable conclusion that it is the piston and rings that need to be replaced. Now, the first offer from GM and the dealership was for GM to pay 45% of the $2,970 repair bill. I will make a call to the GM call center to see if there is anything else.

I'm not sure what to do - a little too late to try and sell since it now smokes like crazy at start up. No good options.

Brian
I have only seen mine smoke at startup, but it was barely anything and was gone in a few seconds. Almost like the "valve seals need replacing" kind of smoke at startup. While driving around town or on the highway, I don't notice any smoke whatsoever. But I'm burning about 1 qt/1500 miles or so (thats just my estimate). I'm just about at 5000 miles into a new oil change and my engine oil low message appears, and the oil level is typically at the 2nd hole from the bottom on the dipstick, which I think is the 3 quart level. Assuming that the most lowest hole on the dipstick is the 2 qt. level. I'm tempted to call GM like you did, but I don't think my case is severe enough. I don't know.....makes me upset I spent $48K on this SUV.
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:19 AM
CF Junior Member

On any dipstick I've ever used in a vehicle, the top mark for full to the bottom mark is a total of 1 quart. So, when you see the level at the bottom "hole" you should be down 1 quart. I'd be surprised if it's otherwise. I really don't like this style of dipstick, find it hard to read.
Old April 24th, 2014, 3:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys do a 5 quart change or 6? I do 5 and normally have to throw in an extra quart before its due again.
Old April 24th, 2014, 5:41 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
Do you guys do a 5 quart change or 6? I do 5 and normally have to throw in an extra quart before its due again.
Your 2007 5.3l engine requires 6 quarts with a filter change per the owners manual...
Attached Thumbnails GM Active Fuel Management Woes-2007-5.3-oil-capacity.jpg  
Old April 24th, 2014, 5:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And how many oil change places give you the 6th quart in the price? And how many people buy that extra quart?

If only 1 quart is required to fill the oil system its self I think it will do fine with the last 4 quarts in the pan instead 5. Also, we change when it gets down to 10%...
Old April 25th, 2014, 7:26 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave01
On any dipstick I've ever used in a vehicle, the top mark for full to the bottom mark is a total of 1 quart. So, when you see the level at the bottom "hole" you should be down 1 quart. I'd be surprised if it's otherwise. I really don't like this style of dipstick, find it hard to read.
In my 07 Tahoe, I can't confirm right now my wife is out with it, If Im not mistaken there are only 5 holes in the engine oil dipstick. I ***-sume (lol), that the highest hole is = to 6 quarts, so that leads to the most bottom hole to be 2 quarts. I've always done a 6 quart oil change.

Last edited by Typerod; April 25th, 2014 at 7:29 AM.
Old April 25th, 2014, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Typerod
I have only seen mine smoke at startup, but it was barely anything and was gone in a few seconds. Almost like the "valve seals need replacing" kind of smoke at startup. While driving around town or on the highway, I don't notice any smoke whatsoever. But I'm burning about 1 qt/1500 miles or so (thats just my estimate). I'm just about at 5000 miles into a new oil change and my engine oil low message appears, and the oil level is typically at the 2nd hole from the bottom on the dipstick, which I think is the 3 quart level. Assuming that the most lowest hole on the dipstick is the 2 qt. level. I'm tempted to call GM like you did, but I don't think my case is severe enough. I don't know.....makes me upset I spent $48K on this SUV.

If it were me, I would document it and get it checked out. My thought, it probably will not get better and there may be something they can do to minimize the damage (see the information on TSB #10-06-01-008J).
Old April 27th, 2014, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

So here's my AFM story...started a week ago while driving from CT to Myrtle Beach. After being in the rain the SS light came on along with the CK engine and STC. Not knowing about this issue I switched it to 2wd mode (07 Tahoe 61k miles by the way) and the lights went off. Worked fine the whole week then this past Saturday while stuck in traffic on the George Washington Bridge of all places it did it again but was now bogging down as well. Cleared itself up after about 20 minutes. When we got home I researched it and saw countless forums relating to the AFM issues. I got up this am and fired it up and saw that only the CK engine light was on. I took it to auto zone who ran the diag for free. Code said the #4 was misfiring. I went back home and pulled the plug and saw it was drenched in oil. Now I'm lucky enough to have a good friend who is a GM tech so I will be bringing it to him at the dealer tomorrow to see what's what. Hoping the issue can be fixed without an overhaul. Good thing about having a friend at the dealer is that he won't bandaid the problem to ride out the warranty. Let's see what happens. And by the way...mine also burns about a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so.

Last edited by JayG; April 27th, 2014 at 7:47 PM.
Old April 27th, 2014, 8:08 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Let us know how it turns out for you. BTW unless you have an extended warranty, your 5/100K power-train warranty is expired.

Quick Reply: GM Active Fuel Management Woes