Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

What do I need to know about a used Suburban, before I buy?

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2010, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to know about a used Suburban, before I buy?

This summer, I am planning on taking a few road trips with some friends. I would also like to have a heavy duty vehicle around for hauling things, and to cut through snow during the winter months.

I figured a Chevy Suburban would be a great vehicle to fit my needs. There are some features I would like, but don't know if they are available, or if they can be added aftermarket.

I plan on purchasing a 1992 and up Suburban, (preferably Chevy, but I would take a GMC if the price and vehicle was right).

For my road trips, I would need to remove at least the back seat, and probably the middle seat. I would like to fit a Futon Pad or bed in the back, along with other stuff. Is seat removal possible?

I would like to have a mini-fridge installed, at least on a temporary basis. Does the older model Suburbans have 120 volt AC outlets, or at least extra 12 volt DC Cigarette Lighter outlets? Would it be recommended that I get a higher performance alternator?

What kind of gas mileage does the average Suburban get, and is there a difference between the engines? I'm leaning toward Diesel, though fuel is more expensive. Does Diesel engines have a lower top speed and acceleration, or will they work like a Gasoline engine?

Are there any known defects in Suburbans, that I should watch out for when purchasing a vehicle. I plan on purchasing from an individual owner, like on Craigslist or something.

Also, does anyone know what PL/PD insurance would cost on average for a clean driver under 25?

Last edited by Raditude; February 13th, 2010 at 6:12 PM.
Old February 13th, 2010, 7:26 PM
CF Active Member

This might help a little.
http://www.trucktrend.com/buyersguid...ban/index.html

From my experience (just bought a 1996 4x4 from Craigslist) make sure you spend the time to check EVERYTHING!! Make sure that the a/c-heater controls work (front and rear) Make sure the 4wd works (if that's what you are looking at). Take it for a longer drive than around the block. Start it up and let it run while you are checking everything out.

The 3rd row seats in the '96 come completely out (although it looks like the seat belts bolt to the 3rd row) The second row bottoms fold toward the front seats, and the backs fold down to make a flat floor from the rear to the front seats. Plenty of room to lay down if need be.

I haven't seen a 120 plug in mine, but I haven't spent much time in the rear of it yet. To busy trying to fix all the junk up front.

Probably have to wire up an Inverter for the fridge. Not one that plugs into the cig lighter either, probably hard wired to the battery if I was guessing. Depends on the amp draw of the fridge.

I was told by a mechanic to look for an intake gasket leak (usually on the right side of the intake, if you are facing the engine compartment, where it bolts to the block)

Watch for smoke from the exhaust, overheating, knocking, a/c clutch not engaging or not blowing cold.

Obviously check oil (level and color) tranny fluid, radiator fluid, etc.

I'm sure there is much more that I don't know to look for, but hopefully someone with more experience with these trucks will chime in.
Old February 13th, 2010, 7:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking the average burban would pull 12-16 MPG. Depending on how well it was taking care of and all that. My granparents have a 95 2wd Burban bought brand new and get bout 15-16 average. it has over 200,000miles on it now. Course its taken care of and everything.
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you both.