Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

:: GruvenParts.com High Strength Steel Gears for GM Folding Mirrors ! ::

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2016, 7:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As one of the biggest critics of these guys in recent months, I figure I owe them this post. After finally getting warm enough weather to take a look at my mirror which stopped folding in, and after reading their DIY instruction, I too have found a broken gear.

I do have a couple of pieces to add, of course. First, I would say anyone that has worked on a vehicle before, should be able to accomplish the task at hand. Granted, separating the plastic pieces without breaking something may be a little bit challenging but in my opinion its more the "fear" than actual breaking. Go slow, take your time, read the instructions more than once and if you don't think you have the proper tools...go get them. I would say anything you need to do this can be found cheaply at harbor freight and it could all be purchased for much much less than a new mirror assembly.

Second, separating the motor cover is probably one of the more challenging parts. I did it on my driveway with a couple of cheap harbor freight style flat head screwdrivers and a cheap hammer. Didn't use a vice (though it probably would have helped ). Pretty much I was too lazy to walk down into the basement where my good tools are at lol and these are a cheap "house set".

Third, the final most challenging part in my opinion is compressing the spring so you can remove it and gain access to where the gear is at. The suggestion again is a vice or arbor press with a socket or something else that will fit over and press onto the lock holding the spring tight and in place. If you have ever changed your oil pressure sending unit in these trucks, you have something that works. I used that socket as it was hte only one I had that fit perfectly. Of course I didn't have the vice (again) or an arbor press. I used a large c-clamp, again a harbor freight special. Please be careful anyway you do this as the spring is under a bit of tension, but if you go slow, you should be fine.

Last, if your gear is broken, and you don't have a replacement in hand, I DO NOT recommend removing the gear. If you do, and put the assembly back together, the mirror will not stay folded out and will just move in and out. You will have to use some duck tape to hold it open lol....trust me...I know this first hand.

A couple of other pointers to throw in, for those trying to determine if they have a bad motor, bad wiring, or a broken gear. In my case the gear was broken. In MOST but not all cases, you will hear the motor running but it will not fold in. In my case, I could not hear the motor running. When mine broke, it basically put the motor in a "stall" condition. So it could not spin. After I opened the metal case I plugged it back in, and tried and the motor kind of popped up out of the housing a bit...because the motor gear was spinning and no longer had the top half of the case to hold it in place. This told me the motor was good.

Also, you can put a voltmeter on the motor leads to check the voltage. This is probably preferred before you get to far into it, if you want to check prior to ordering the part. However with the motor disconnected, it will only "flash" 12v for a short period of time, probably due to the lack of a load. This is what mine did.

When removing the mirror glass from the back of the mirror...angle the mirror glass down so you can see the upper tab clearly. Then use a large flat blade screwdriver, get under the tab and twist. I've found that one tab will get it loose enough to pop the rest of the way off.

I would also like to thank gruvenparts for getting together a DIY for this. I really think this will help a lot of us, if just to determine if we are capable of doing the job. I would say its not much more difficult than doing an oil change. Again, follow the instructions, get the tools you need for cheap from harbor freight, and take you time. You will know if you can do it and if you can't it won't be from lack of instruction.

Edit: Mod's, this should probably be made into a sticky for easy reference. I'm sure this is one of the biggest things searched for by owners, probably only second to afm issues.

Last edited by {tpc}; March 22nd, 2016 at 7:34 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 1:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response, I always appreciate honest evaluation and feedback, we read every single post here. Sorry it took so long to get the DIY together. And please dont hold back on your thoughts, suggestions, or opinions. This is what makes our products and our service better!

The GM crowd has been an absolute PLEASURE to work with. I have spoken with many of you directly on the phone and you are some of the nicest, most down to earth people that I get to deal with in this business. I can see now why GM has such a loyal following, and I can also see they are exploiting your good nature and dedication to the brand by sometimes providing sub par parts and customer service. They should be ashamed of how they are treating this crowd, and after speaking directly with many of you on the phone, I can honestly say you deserve much much better in terms of quality and service.

Sorry for the long winded post here, this is something that Ive been thinking about for quite some time and just wanted to express my thanks for the GM crowd and all the suggestions, tips, opinions, and sales you have all provided us. We are lucky to have a customers like you !

Ok so good timing here for this discussion - we have 3 prototype gears shipping to us today via 2 day fed ex. Those are going into the test stand this weekend, we'll run the gears non-stop more times than you would ever fold the mirrors in the vehicles lifetime, and then tear down the mechanism for inspection. I will report back soon and update site soon. If all goes well we should be quite close on this mirror gear project.

Thanks for everyone's patience, and thanks for this great forum and the people that participate in it. This is exactly why GruvenParts exists, and this is how we can solve problems on otherwise GREAT vehicles!
Old April 14th, 2016, 7:28 AM
CF Active Member

Couple of questions. First question is how is the testing going? Second question is why has the price of the part been raised yet again? I think this is the 2nd or 3rd price increase from the beginning?
Old April 21st, 2016, 2:30 PM
Former Sponsor

We tested the steel gear. It ate the brass worm gear on the GM motor very quickly (200 cycles).

Therefore, we are evaluating a new design with plastic spur gear that attaches to steel worm shaft. Our plastic design is a stronger material and is larger, to prevent the cracking. We just cannot use steel on that soft brass worm gear on the motor.

I will have that info soon, prototype due in within a week and we'll test that.

Hold tight on the pricing question, this new direction will change pricing yet again for the better.
Old May 25th, 2016, 8:48 PM
Former Sponsor

2007-2014 GM Trucks Folding Mirror Reinforced Spur Gear - Click Picture for the Product Page !

Gruven Parts | Custom VW Parts | Volkswagen BMW & Audi Auto Parts is pleased to announce our replacement Reinforced spur gear for the folding mirrors on 2007-2014 GM truck including Escalade, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and Denali.

This product carries a LIFETIME WARRANTY!

Gear Installation DIY Is Now Available ! Visit Our Product Page to View

As many have discovered, the folding mirror assembly on these trucks suffers from 1 weak point : a spur located within the mechanism is very weak and strips or cracks over time causing an inoperable folding mirror. Unfortunately, GM will only sell you the complete folding mirror assembly, which ranges from $700-$1,200 ea depending on the year/make/model (after labor and paint).

And that $ would be spent just to get another faulty mirror assembly with a weak spur gear that will soon fail.

GruvenParts.com has addressed this issue by designing a reinforced spur gear to eliminate the cracking and stripping which is occurring in the GM spur gear.

Sold as a set of 2 – enough for 1 vehicle! Gear Fits Both Passenger and Drivers Side Power Folding Mirrors.

Application :
All 2007-2014 GM Trucks With Folding Mirrors Including Escalade, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and Denali. This includes (but not limited to) the following mirror assembly part numbers :

25-83-12-36 (25831236), 25-77-98-49 (25779849)

This list of part numbers will continually grow as we build the interchange list. This is in no way complete, as most GM trucks made from 2007-2014 with power folding mirrors will use this gear. If your power folding mirror looks like the mirror shown in the DIY, this gear will fit your vehicle.
Old June 1st, 2016, 7:57 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by gruvenparts.com

2007-2014 GM Trucks Folding Mirror Reinforced Spur Gear - Click Picture for the Product Page !

Gruven Parts | Custom VW Parts | Volkswagen BMW & Audi Auto Parts is pleased to announce our replacement Reinforced spur gear for the folding mirrors on 2007-2014 GM truck including Escalade, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and Denali.

Gear Installation DIY Is Now Available ! Visit Our Product Page to View

As many have discovered, the folding mirror assembly on these trucks suffers from 1 weak point : a spur located within the mechanism is very weak and strips or cracks over time causing an inoperable folding mirror. Unfortunately, GM will only sell you the complete folding mirror assembly, which ranges from $700-$1,200 ea depending on the year/make/model (after labor and paint).

And that $ would be spent just to get another faulty mirror assembly with a weak spur gear that will soon fail.

GruvenParts.com has addressed this issue by designing a reinforced spur gear to eliminate the cracking and stripping which is occurring in the GM spur gear.

Sold as a set of 2 – enough for 1 vehicle! Gear Fits Both Passenger and Drivers Side Power Folding Mirrors.

Application :
All 2007-2014 GM Trucks With Folding Mirrors Including Escalade, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and Denali. This includes (but not limited to) the following mirror assembly part numbers :

This list of part numbers will continually grow as we build the interchange list. This is in no way complete, as most GM trucks made from 2007-2014 with power folding mirrors will use this gear. If your power folding mirror looks like the mirror shown in the DIY, this gear will fit your vehicle.

So how did the testing on the new plastic gear go? I do like the price point much better now as well. When exactly are you shipping? It says June. I know its june 1st lol, but I just stumbled back across this thread again.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by {tpc}
So how did the testing on the new plastic gear go? I do like the price point much better now as well. When exactly are you shipping? It says June. I know its june 1st lol, but I just stumbled back across this thread again.
The testing went very well, the strengthened gear outlasted the motor itself. I will have an update soon on the delivery date, should be within a few weeks.
Old July 6th, 2016, 8:37 AM
Former Sponsor

THIS IS NOW IN STOCK !!!!

"
GRUVENPARTS.COM STRENGTHENED SPUR GEAR FOR 2007-2014 GM TRUCKS FOLDING MIRROR ASSEMBLY - Click Here for the Product Page !

See the DIY Link Below.

GruvenParts.com is pleased to announce this replacement strengthened spur gear for the folding mirrors on 2007-2014 GM trucks including Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, Escalade, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and Denali. As many have discovered, the folding mirror assembly on these trucks suffers from a thin, weak spur gear. As a result, the spur gear cracks at the slightest impact or just wears out over time causing an inoperable folding mirror.

GruvenParts.com has SOLVED this issue by designing a proper spur gear made from strengthened plastic with a thicker cross section to eliminate the stress concentrations which cause fatigue cracking. Our spur gear is internally threaded and screws onto the main worm shaft. We can provide new motors, too if you want them. Please email us if needed.

This product is sold in sets of 2, enough for 1 vehicle !

Click Here for the Installation DIY

Application :

Sold in pairs (enough for 1 complete vehicle). Gears Fit Both Passenger and Drivers Side Power Folding Mirrors.
All 2007-2014 GM Trucks With Folding Mirrors Including Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, Escalade, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and Denali. This includes (but not limited to) the following mirror assembly part numbers :

This list of part numbers will continually grow as we build the interchange list. This is in no way complete, as most GM trucks made from 2007-2014 with power folding mirrors will use this gear. If your power folding mirror looks like the mirror shown in the DIY, this gear will fit your vehicle."
Old July 19th, 2016, 9:54 AM
Former Sponsor

All parts are in stock

Click on the pictures in the advertisements to visit the product pages.