Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Has anyone out there had the Kenwood 7100 GPS/ receiver in their Tahoe yet?

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone out there had the Kenwood 7100 GPS/ receiver in their Tahoe yet?

I'm getting ready to take the plunge but I'd sure like to hear of one person using the Kenwood in the 2007 Tahoe. It has the Garmin Nuvi inside and that's what I care about. Crutchfield will sell it to you but they won't tell me who's going to put it in locally. I want to make sure it hooks up with Onstar, my steering wheel controls as well as the rear DVD player and still allows the wireless headphones to work. Any input will be appreciated.

Is there any reason not to do it myself? The $200 seemed kind of cheap to have them worry about it but not knowing who's going to do it has me worried.

Thanks... G..
Old March 22nd, 2008, 8:28 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone out there had the Kenwood 7100 GPS/ receiver in their Tahoe yet?

I believe the headphones are IR so they get their feed from the overhead unit.

I wished GM had gone with the Garmin unit.
Old March 24th, 2008, 2:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Has anyone out there had the Kenwood 7100 GPS/ receiver in their Tahoe yet?

No teasing but a local electronic shop in my are was selling Kenwood DNX7100 for $499 last Friday. I ran to get one but by the time I got there they were sold out! ofcourse!

[IMG]local://upfiles/13064/BBFA633313A84C01A8CB28814950AE6F.gif[/IMG]
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:16 AM
CF Active Member

I'm thinking they are about to come out with a new model. I tried searching but couldn't come up with what I read one time about some 8000 series model. The only thing I ever read bashing that model is the menu system isn't very intuitive on the stereo side. The GPS is simply the Garmin Nuvi inside the Kenwood box and there's nothing better than the Garmin Nuvi series for voice navigation. I have the 660 and I'm an HVAC contractor and it pretty much always gets me there and when it estimates I'll get there. Best thing since sliced bread. I looked at a factory GPS when I was shopping and it's not even in the same ballpark IMO.

G..
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:19 PM
CF Active Member

I was talkin to a friend who owns this custom shop in Dallas. He told me that when I graduated he would hook me up with a new nav unit from... I think he said kenwood, that would playmy ipod videos off ofmy video ipod. He said it was the first nav unit to do that. He also said it was the latest and greatest technology for nav units. He didn't mention if it was actually available for sale yet but told me that he was having it put in his latest show ride which was a denali. Does anyone know what nav unit this could be? Maybe the new kenwood you guys are talking about?
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:32 PM
CF Active Member

Now I'm thinking that it is time to wait to see what happens to XM and Sirius radio as they haven't guaranteed yet that the old radios will work on whatever happens. Not too forward thinking of an announcement.

Anyone know anything about that?

G..