Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

complete NB

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2014, 7:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default complete NB

Hey all just picked up a 2002 Suburban LS 4x4 176k
runs great, looks very nice . However the guy told me every now and then the abs and the regular brake warning lights come on both at the same time.

I still bought it as the truck is very clean AC is very cold front and rear and shifts as smooth as butter. and the seats are super clean.

The lights came on while I was driving it home, I shut it off and re started the truck and the light never came back on for the rest of the trip home, about 17 miles. Then today it came on as soon as I started the truck, I drove it and got to my destination , shut off did my thing and started back up lights off.

any hints?
thanks
Old February 10th, 2014, 9:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first thought is that the abs sensor is bad. It could also be a loose connection.
Old February 10th, 2014, 9:39 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Gringo
Hey all just picked up a 2002 Suburban LS 4x4 176k
runs great, looks very nice . However the guy told me every now and then the abs and the regular brake warning lights come on both at the same time.

I still bought it as the truck is very clean AC is very cold front and rear and shifts as smooth as butter. and the seats are super clean.

The lights came on while I was driving it home, I shut it off and re started the truck and the light never came back on for the rest of the trip home, about 17 miles. Then today it came on as soon as I started the truck, I drove it and got to my destination , shut off did my thing and started back up lights off.

any hints?
thanks
Welcome to the forum.

You need to get it scanned for codes. Most auto parts stores will do it for free.
Old February 11th, 2014, 4:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

There's a recall for the wheel speed sensors for your truck.

Report Receipt Date: AUG 29, 2005
NHTSA Campaign Number: 05V379000
Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Old February 11th, 2014, 7:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks, I will get it scanned, Are the speed and abs sensors expensive? just wondering if that is why he sold the truck for 4 k or did I spend too much...?

just looked at the recall , it shows for the 2001 does that or would that include the 2002 model Suburban ? ?

"NHTSA Campaign ID: <!---Insert ID number here---> 05V379000
<!---End ID number here---> Component: <!---Insert Component here---> Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Antilock
<!---End Component here---> Manufacturer: <!---Insert Manufacturer here---> General Motors Corp.
<!---End Manufacturer here--->
<table width="400" border="1" cellspacing="10" cellpadding="6"><tbody><tr valign="TOP"><td>Year:
</td><td>Make:
Chevrolet Truck
</td><td>Model:
Avalanche
</td><td>Recall Date:
08/29/2005
</td></tr><tr valign="TOP"><td colspan="4">Potential Number of Units Affected: 804,000
Manufactured: </td></tr><tr valign="TOP"><td colspan="4">Defect Summary:
Certain pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles may experience unwanted antilock brake system (ABS) activation.
Consequence Summary:
This can cause increased stopping distances during low-speed brake applications, which could result in a crash.
Corrective Summary:
Dealers are to remove the wheel speed sensor and thoroughly clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surface on the bearing, apply zinc-x (rust inhibitor) to the cleaned surface, grease the mounting surface, reinstall the wheel speed sensor, and check the peak-to-peak output voltage to ensure the wheel speed signal is within specifications. The manufacturer has not yet provided an owner notification schedule. Owners should contact Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited by Desert Gringo; February 11th, 2014 at 7:18 AM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 6:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Well my neighbor is Selling his 98 Loaded 4x4 Tahoe with not even 80K miles and minimal surface rust on the frame, body in great shape for $4k.....
Old February 12th, 2014, 7:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

All Products Associated with this Recall

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)

• CHEVROLETAVALANCHE2002
  • CHEVROLETSILVERADO1999-2002
  • CHEVROLETSUBURBAN2000-2002
  • CHEVROLETTAHOE2000-2002
  • GMCSIERRA1999-2002
  • GMCYUKON2000-2002
  • GMCYUKON XL2000-2002
Old February 13th, 2014, 7:19 AM
CF Junior Member

thanks intheburbs
Old February 17th, 2014, 12:37 PM
CF Junior Member

just checked with chevy dealer, that recall did not affect my vin# was there are no open recalls for my burb.
still need to have the code read just not enough time in a day.
Old February 17th, 2014, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2001 'Burban has had this problem for at least two years. Yes, it's annoying but not required for safe driving. My lights come on and off randomly. And it throws off 7 codes on my reader. Often these issues will be traced back to the EBCM. Replacing those suckers are expensive which is why I've lived with it. Recently I found a guy on Youtube
who had repaired his EBCM. It's not for the faint of heart and requires some soldering skills, but if you are brave you might give it a try. I intend to try it in the spring.

Quick Reply: complete NB