Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

brakes pulsating

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2018, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes pulsating

I bought a 2008 Tahoe about a years and a half ago. I have had nothing but problems with my brakes. I have put all new brake pads and rotors on three times now. They last about a month then start to pulsate. My brake pedal does not feel right and has play in it. Brake fluid is full and has been bled each time I replace them. I also have an issue with my cruise control not wanting to work. I have to take my foot and press up on the bottom of the brake pedal to get it to work. I have taken it to the dealership as well as Les Schwab and they continue to say there is nothing wrong with it aside from needing the rotors and brakes replaced.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Try checking the run out on the rotors, especially the front ones.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 1:07 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your brake sensor is shot. It's a $11 part and easy to replace.

as for the vibes - I'd try rotating the tires as well - couldn't hurt.

also, if anyone is even resting their foot on the pedal - it's applying pressure and the heat will warp the rotors over time. I've seen many cars going down the road - brake lights on!

I've also found heavy towing accelerates the front pad vibe...
Old April 2nd, 2018, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Your brake sensor is shot. It's a $11 part and easy to replace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQU4I411e8o

as for the vibes - I'd try rotating the tires as well - couldn't hurt.

also, if anyone is even resting their foot on the pedal - it's applying pressure and the heat will warp the rotors over time. I've seen many cars going down the road - brake lights on!

I've also found heavy towing accelerates the front pad vibe...
Would the brake sensor also cause the rotors to keep warping? I am the only one that drives it and I do not ride the brakes. I get the tires rotated every other oil change. I also do not tow heavy loads. My fishing boat during the summer but it weighs less than 2000lbs.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

I have had to put new rotors on the front only once when I bought it. It seems to only be the rear that's the issue as I have had to replace them three times and every time I do the pulsating goes away for about a month than starts again.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 7:07 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the brake sensor is unrelated. I've also noticed some pulsing that goes away if you replace the front rotors, but does eventually come back. It's not bad enough to warrant much on my end. Maybe it's worse on yours.

What about new calipers? You've replaced everything else...
Old April 4th, 2018, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

No, that's my next job. Actually doing it this week. I am thinking that the rear caliper pistons might be sticking and causing the issue. I had to put lube on them once when I bought it due to some sounds they were making.
Old April 4th, 2018, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Also going to replace the master break cylinder as well. after that I don't know what else it could be. Was just hoping someone on here would know. If that don't fix it I will replace the rotors and trade that sucker in. lol