Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Air/Smoke Coming from Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2016, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air/Smoke Coming from Gas Tank

Hello,

2008 Chevy Suburban LS

Today, for the first time when I went to put gas in the car (I was on E with E light on) and open the gas tank I notice smoke come rushing out of gas tank, then air whistling for about 4 minutes, iwith air coming from tank.

I had the truck for about 3 years and this never happened before.

Can someone help explain why air/smoke would be coming from my gas tank?

Thank you very much.
Old March 15th, 2016, 5:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless it smelled like burning smoke then it was likely vapor. How, when, why liquid turns to vapor in the gas tank environment is beyond my pay grade. If it was smoke then I would say your fuel pump is quickly toasting itself. The other theory is the fuel pump is getting hot and splashing fuel is making the vapor. I just replaced my fuel pump and will never let my ride get below 1/4 tank.
Old March 17th, 2016, 2:09 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy_Girl_Lol
Hello,

2008 Chevy Suburban LS

Today, for the first time when I went to put gas in the car (I was on E with E light on) and open the gas tank I notice smoke come rushing out of gas tank, then air whistling for about 4 minutes, iwith air coming from tank.

I had the truck for about 3 years and this never happened before.

Can someone help explain why air/smoke would be coming from my gas tank?

Thank you very much.
Hello Chevy_Girl_Lol,

Are you planning on making your servicing dealership aware of this concern? If so, we can certainly get in touch with them on your behalf and review this in greater depth. We're available via private message and only need your VIN, mileage, contact information, and the name of the dealership you prefer to work with. I do apologize for any trouble you've encountered as a result of this. Thank you for your time and have a great day!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care