Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lowered rear sub c1500 air bag problems

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2016, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered rear sub c1500 air bag problems

I've got a 99 c1500 with what looks like factory airbags, they don't hold air and maybe are reparable but I really don't like air bags....factory or otherwise its been lowered by previous owner to what amounts to about a 4-5 inch drop in the back, I don't see any provisions for mounting shocks, question is what are my options I don't have a lot of cash but that rear axle smacking on the stops over bumps is going to cause other issues and I've got a 2 month old daughter I want to keep safe, can shocks be added? Can I put some 3/4 leafs or add a leaf? All suggestions are welcomed.
Old March 13th, 2016, 1:32 PM
CF Veteran

without knowing how exactly they lowered it its hard to say but if the airbags themselves are leaking they need replaced unless you decide to get rid of them
Old March 13th, 2016, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

I got under it properly today and there are shocks as well as air bags, if the rears are anything like the fronts they will need replacing, those bags look factory to me, I wonder if the bags are purely for ride height or supplementation I'd like to remove those air bags but wonder if the shocks alone can handle the job.
Old March 14th, 2016, 11:37 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Airbags have never been offered by GM on Suburbans. If your Burb has airbags, they're most definitely aftermarket.
Old March 16th, 2016, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Airbags have never been offered by GM on Suburbans. If your Burb has airbags, they're most definitely aftermarket.
Thx I ended up taking it to a good suspension guy and he told me the same and that my current leaf springs were a big part of my problem, som I'm currently getting some stock ones ready for install and those air bags are going where air bags belong, the trash lol.