Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help with p0449 & p0455 codes

Old April 26th, 2010, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with p0449 & p0455 codes

I have a 08 Tahoe LT. Yesterday driving My wifes Tahoe and while driving noticed that a message came up on info display saying to tighten fuel cap we were on the highway and before we pulled over to check the fuel cap the check eng light came on. pulled over checked the fuel cap it was tight went ahead and removed and tightened it back on check eng light never went away.
Today put my code reader on it and got the code P0449 in the stored codes and P0455 in the pending codes. Did a search and found that some saying that it may be the fuel cap may be bad and cause the code and others saying that it may be some seloind on filler neck. Looked on filler neck didnt see anything that looked like seloind.
Just wondering if anyone knows were I can start to fix problem and if anyone knows if the haynes Manual has anything about these codes and were to start. Dont have the Manual yet probably will go get the manual tomorrow. Sorry so long and Thx for the replies
Old April 26th, 2010, 7:56 PM
CF Veteran

I've been getting the Gas Cap code on my 07 constanly. Replaced cap 3 or 4 times in 23,000miles. I haven't found a Chiltons or a Haynes for my 07 yet. I been looking every week.

I've yet to find that solenoid either, but I know I can find the info. Give me a few.

EDIT: From what I've read, it's either the EVAP purge, or vent solenoid.

Apparently the purge solenoid is under the hood. I can't figure out exactly where either of them are. It is also possible that maybe a vent hose is clogged or kinked somewhere. that would throw those codes also.

Last edited by nauticstar87; April 26th, 2010 at 8:04 PM.
Old April 26th, 2010, 8:54 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Don't know about the Chiltons but skip the Haynes. Useless. Factory service manual is your best bet.
Old April 26th, 2010, 9:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>

this is from chilton 07 tahoe

Monitor Details: EVAP

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=right><INPUT onclick=history.go(-1) value=Back type=button></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Evaporative Emission Control System Overview
The Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Control system limits fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. Fuel tank vapors are allowed to move from the fuel tank, due to pressure in the tank, through the vapor pipe, into the EVAP canister. Carbon in the charcoal canister absorbs and stores the fuel vapors.Excess pressure is vented through the vent line and EVAP vent solenoid to the atmosphere. The EVAP canister stores the fuel vapors until the engine is able to use them. At an appropriate time, the PCM commands the EVAP purge solenoid “on”, allowing engine vacuum to be applied to the canister. With the EVAP vent solenoid “off”, fresh air is drawn through the vent solenoid and the vent line to the canister. Fresh air is drawn through the canister, pulling fuel vapors from the carbon. The air/fuel vapor mixture continues through the EVAP purge pipe and EVAP purge solenoid into the intake manifold where it is consumed during combustion. The PCM uses several tests to determine if the EVAP system is leaking.
EVAP System Components
A typical EVAP system consists of the following components: * EVAP Charcoal Canister * EVAP Canister Purge Valve * EVAP Canister Vent Valve * EVAP Service Port (has a green cap) * EVAP Vapor Vent Pipe * Fuel Fill Neck/Fill Cap * Fuel Tank * Rollover Valve with integral Fuel Pressure Sensor (FTP) * Vent Hose/Pipe * EVAP Vapor Pipe
Large Leak Test
The Large Leak diagnostic tests for large leaks and blockages in the EVAP system. With the engine running, the PCM commands the EVAP vent solenoid “on” and commands the EVAP purge solenoid “on”, allowing engine vacuum into the EVAP system. The PCM monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor signal to verify that the system is able to reach a predetermined level of vacuum within a set amount of time. Next, the PCM commands the EVAP purge solenoid “off”, to seal the system, and monitors the vacuum level for decay. If the PCM does not detect that the predetermined vacuum level is achieved, or the vacuum decay rate is more than a calibrated level on two consecutive tests, DTC P0455 will be set.
Small Leak Test
If the large leak test passes, the PCM will test for small leaks by continuing to monitor the FTP sensor for a change in FTP sensor signal over a period of time. If the decay rate is more than a calibrated value, the PCM will rerun the test. If the test fails again, a DTC P0442 will be set.
Engine Off Natural Vacuum Test (2002-03 Truck Models <8500 GVW)
The Engine Off Natural Vacuum (EONV) test is the small-leak detection diagnostic for the EVAP system. While previous leak detection methods were performed with the engine running, the EONV diagnostic monitors the EVAP system pressure or vacuum with the key “off”. Because of this design, it may be normal for the PCM to remain active for up to 40 minutes after the engine is turned “off”. This is important to remember when performing a parasitic draw test on vehicles equipped with the EONV test.The EONV utilizes the temperature changes in the fuel tank immediately following a drive cycle to use the naturally occurring vacuum or pressure in the fuel tank. When the vehicle is driven, the temperature rises in the tank. After the vehicle is parked, the temperature in the tank continues to rise for a period of time, and then starts to drop. The EONV test relies on this temperature change and its corresponding pressure change to determine if a leak is present in the EVAP system.The EONV test is designed to detect leaks as small as 0.51 mm (0.020 inches). The test can determine if a small leak is present based on vacuum or pressure readings in the EVAP system. When the system is sealed, a finite amount of pressure or vacuum will be observed. When a 0.51 mm (0.020 inches) leak is present, often little or no pressure or vacuum is observed. If the test fails, DTC P0442 will be set.
Canister Vent Restriction Test
If the EVAP Vent system is restricted, fuel vapors will not be properly purged from the EVAP canister. The PCM tests this possibility as discussed next. The PCM commands the EVAP purge solenoid “on”, commands the EVAP vent solenoid “off”, and monitors the FTP sensor signal for an increase in vacuum. If the vacuum increases more than a calibrated value, DTC P0446 will be set.
Purge Solenoid Leak Test
If the EVAP purge solenoid does not seal properly, fuel vapors could enter the engine at an undesired time, causing driveability concerns. The PCM tests for this possibility as follows. The PCM commands the EVAP purge solenoid “off” and the vent solenoid “on”, to seal the EVAP system, and then monitors the FTP for an increase in vacuum. If the PCM detects that the EVAP system vacuum increases more than a calibrated value, DTC P0496 will be set.
Check Gas Cap Message
The PCM sends a class 2 message to the driver information center (DIC) to illuminate the Check Gas Cap message when any of the following occur: * The Large Leak Test failed due to a malfunction in the EVAP system * The Small Leak Test failed due to a malfunction in the EVAP system
EVAP System Monitor Operation
The EVAP System Monitor is a PCM diagnostic that runs once per trip that monitors the EVAP system in order to detect a loss of system integrity or a leak in the system (leaks that range in size from 0.020" to 0.040" in diameter). It also checks the ability of the EVAP system to flow fuel vapors in the system.The PCM controls the Purge solenoid to open and close the path of vacuum to the canister at off-idle speeds. The PCM monitors changes in the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor signal with the EVAP vent valve closed. If the PCM detects the system cannot hold proper vacuum, a trouble code is set and the current engine conditions are stored in Freeze Frame. Refer to the EVAP System Graphic as needed.

Possible Causes of an EVAP System Failure
* Cracks, leaks or disconnected hoses in the fuel vapor lines, components, plastic connectors or lines * Charcoal canister is damaged or saturated with fuel (due to EVAP vent valve problems) * EVAP service port is leaking * Fuel filler cap (gas cap) is loose or missing * PCM has failed
EVAP Purge Conditions
The PCM purges the canister under these conditions: * After the engine has reached operating temperature * At wide open or part throttle (as long as the engine is not overheated) * The engine can be in open or closed loop Fuel Control in a purge event
MIL Operation, How to Clear History Trouble Codes
If the EVAP Monitor detects a fault during a drive cycle, it will set a pending code and store the current vehicle conditions in Freeze Frame. If it detects the fault for two consecutive trips, the MIL is activated and a code is set. The MIL will remain on for more than one trip, but will go out if conditions that caused the EVAP Monitor to fail do not reappear on three consecutive trips. After the MIL is off, the trouble code will be erased after 40 consecutive trips if the fault does not reappear.
Freeze Frame Data
The PCM stores the current engine operating conditions at the time a trouble code is set in a special portion of memory called Freeze Frame. This important information can help pinpoint the cause of trouble code. It can be retrieved with an OBD II compatible Scan Tool to help diagnose the problem.
EVAP System Repair Verification
An example of how to drive a vehicle to verify the repair of a trouble code related to the EVAP System Monitor on these vehicle applications is shown in the Graphic below.
Attached Thumbnails Help with p0449 &amp; p0455 codes-gm-evap01.gif   Help with p0449 &amp; p0455 codes-gm-evap02.gif  
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Chilton has come a long way since back in the 70s.
Old April 27th, 2010, 6:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well it looks like you've gotten a good amount of feed back from the great community here. If you've got any other kinds of issues such as warranty work, don't be afraid to reach out to me here.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 5th, 2010, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Thx for all the responses. I looked around for a manual and couldn't find one does anyone know is their a way to test the solinoid and if so what is the procedure and where the it is located. thx again.
Old May 10th, 2010, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Replace the EVAP Canister Vent Valve

HFDFF,
IT IS NOT THE GAS CAP!!! You will replace gas caps until your hair turns gray. I was receiving the P0449 code on my 2005 Chevy Tahoe LS, replaced two gas caps and still had the code. If you have replaced it once, P0449 come means there is issue with the EVAP canister vent valve located near the EVAP canister and the fuel tank. Do not get this confused with the EVAP purge valve located on the intake manifold. I ATTACHED INSTRUCTIONS that covers Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades/Silveradoes/1500s from the mid 2000s and a PICTURE of the actual EVAP canister vent valve that I replaced!!! This fixed my problem and it only costs $32.00 for the part FROM THE DEALER and 10 minutes!!!fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O> </O>
P0449 is an indicator that you have a slow leak in your EVAP system or the solenoid on the EVAP canister vent valve is not receiving the proper voltage. Yes, the gas cap can be the possible reason you have a small leak in your EVAP system, but if it continues after it is replaced, it’s the EVAP canister vent valve. I read a post where someone claimed that the dealer actually dropped the tank to replace it. That’s bull!! There is plenty of room to access this part. Please let me know if this helped.<O></O>
<O> </O>
marine02xx<O></O>
Attached Thumbnails Help with p0449 &amp; p0455 codes-evap-caniater-vent-valve-2.jpg   Help with p0449 &amp; p0455 codes-evap-info-1.jpg   Help with p0449 &amp; p0455 codes-evap-info-2.jpg  
Old May 11th, 2010, 1:39 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I just finished addressing the same codes on my wifes mini-van it was a split hose on the line going to the evap canister...
Before spending a bunch of money replacing parts that are probably not the issue check every inch of evap line and connections.. also do not use an after-market fuel cap use the OEM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Thx guys for the input. I'm going to try and look at it this weekend. Haven't had the time to look at it been working like a dog. I'll give yall an update on what I find. Thx again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with p0449 & p0455 codes