Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help with p0449 & p0455 codes

Old November 17th, 2012, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got around to switching out the evap solenoid today. Now lets see if the codes return.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Has anyone with the PO455 error experienced issues cranking the vehicle? In my case the vehicle does not want to crank after filling with gas. Once you have got the vehicle to crank by pumping the gas pedal it will NOT occur again until you fill gas tank again. I have replaced the gas cap and that did not clear the code. Any assistance on where to start is greatly appreciated.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Replacing the evap solenoid definitively cleared the codes and they have not returned and it has since been a month since I replaced it.

No issues with starting the vehicle whatsoever. The parts that I ordered were very easy and fairly cheap to replace the system. I'd say it's worth a chance to see if it fixes your problem. Definitely and issue with your gas tank and or related parts.
Old December 26th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mishdo1
Has anyone with the PO455 error experienced issues cranking the vehicle? In my case the vehicle does not want to crank after filling with gas. Once you have got the vehicle to crank by pumping the gas pedal it will NOT occur again until you fill gas tank again. I have replaced the gas cap and that did not clear the code. Any assistance on where to start is greatly appreciated.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mishdo1,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. This may be related to an EVAP purge valve issue. This is just a suggestion and is not meant as a diagnosis. I recommend consulting with a certified techncian for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

I have made this repair so I thought I would post a couple of issues I ran into along the way. I bought an aftermarket part off the Internet-reputable brand. After doing lots of web research and watching how-to videos I thought I'd give it a try. I'm reasonably technical-cleaned motorcycle carbs, replaced parts inside laptops etc. I removed the spare and slid under the vehicle with a few tools. The old solenoid unbolted easily but here are the three issues I uncovered.

1. I could not get the hose off the main box under the vehicle. The solenoid unit comes with one long hose that gets tied up near the fuel filler neck and another long hose that connects to a box of some kind (maybe a charcoal canister-I don't know). It has a connector that I wasn't familiar with. I tried pulling, twisting, pushing etc but couldn't get it to release. Turns out a simple squeeze with two fingers is all that's needed. Mine was dirty and its dark under there plus the fact that I'm not a mechanic.

2. The new part looks a little different but it does bolt right in. The problem, for me, was the electrical connector. It's different-it doesn't match up with my vehicle. I tried a little force but that is just the wrong way to do things so after a little more research and a little hope I ordered a connector harness. It was a new part with a vague description but took a chance anyway and luckily it did the trick. It is a 8-10 inch wire with different connectors on each end and perfectly attached my two non-matching connectors.

3. The check engine light didn't go away for me. I thought maybe I had screwed something up by pushing the mis-matched connectors together at first? I drove 100 miles and still nothing. Also my Onstar was dead. No lights, buttons didn't work. After a little more research I decided to disconnect and reconnect the battery and again I found the answer. Simple really.

Good luck!

2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Old February 18th, 2013, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default a little more help

i have read all the pages and need a little more direction. wifes yukon up for registration and DEQ in oregon. just had check engine light come on and it is p0455 code. I can assume from reading the posts I need to change the evap canister vent valve under the spare tire area. I have also heard people talk of the solenoid up by the intake manifold. Is this different or does this need to be changed too. I have also seen a few people talking about a wireing harness to conect the new part. I dont see this listed anywhere. I was goign to order this from GM parts direct but I dont know what to ask for. I assume I need the evap solenoid kit which is about 40 bucks but I think I need the wire connector so the job is not half done. Can someone help with the harness code etc so I am not stuck half way down. As mentioned before is it neccessary to change the solenoid up by the intake manifold also. thanks much, Blake
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

We put IN G-Force chip and 5minutes later the check Engine light came on The codes are P2A04, P0157, Po442,CO222, CO223, CO269, AND CO281 Have anyone had this problem and what does anyone know about it .?
Old March 21st, 2013, 6:03 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

I'd reseat and make sure the chip is fully seated and correctly seated...
if all is good there, the chip is most likely not the correct one for your vehicle, i'd send and it back and request that it be verified...double check the VIN you provided when ordering the chip
Old July 8th, 2013, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default P-0449 on 2006 Suburban

Hi, guys!
I've read about 54 pages about this code.
This code popped up right after dealer fixed the rear AC (another problem they have, I discovered after doing this extensive research).

This 2006 Suburban is "New" to me.....just got it a few months ago.

Went to Advance Auto Part to have the code read. Don't remember if that was the code at that time, but the guy said it either goes above gas tank or something...said a symptom is that when you pump gas, it keeps clicking off every couple seconds, like your tank is full but it isn't; and that if you overfill, it can throw this code.

So, I'm like, "ya, it did that the last 2 times I tried to get gas, and i tried to "top it off"; so that makes sense; it was my own dumb fault!. So he ordered me the part. He said I needed an EVAP vent valve solenoid. It was a Dorman 911-021:

I was expecting the whole canister thing...which apparently is the AC Delco Part #: 214-2149

Anyways, we were leaving for vacation and I wanted to get the oil changed before we left. So, I had local mechanic change oil and asked if he could change out for me. He did; he cleared the code. We thought it was fixed. I drove home, shut truck off, ran inside, jumped back in Burban to run more errands......Boom!! Code was back on!!

Truck is running fine, except now it's not going to pass inspection next month. After we got back from vaca, I stopped at another AAP and had the code read and it was P-0449...same thing apparently.

I did take someone's advice here: 9 year old son and I lowered spare tire in driveway...(it was really easy..easier than I thought). I was able to get a better look under the truck (wish i would have taken pics to post). I didn't see any other line coming off the canister, like the one that has the breather vent on that you're supposed to mount above the transmission or whatever (also watched a ton of YouTube videos).

Anyways, I also used husband's air compressor and blew out around the canister/lines and stuff.

What is my next move? I was thinking of just buying the "Purge" valve that goes under the intake manifold, since that seems to be an easy fix.

Don't want to nickle and dime myself to death, but I'd like to be able to fix it myself (or have hubby or the mechanic do it).

Or go back to AAP and ask the same guy, why the code is coming again.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

C

Last edited by DrumMum; July 8th, 2013 at 9:19 AM. Reason: more info added
Old July 8th, 2013, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by DrumMum

So, I had this changed out by a mechanic.

I was thinking of just buying the "Purge" valve that goes under the intake manifold, since that seems to be an easy fix.

I bought this brand new purge valve and installed it in the intake manifold. It was part #: 12581282 or AC Delco #: 214-1105

The P-0449 code was still on! I disconnected the battery for like 15 minutes and it's still on. I'm thinking that didn't solve my problem either. Although, I've only driven it once today since I changed it, and that was only like 30 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with p0449 & p0455 codes