Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help with p0449 & p0455 codes

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2010, 1:01 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by brn2ryd
2006 Silverado - getting ready to address these codes PO449, PO455. Or atleast attempt to fix them. I was told to replace the solenoid (GM part# 1920-7763) I will let you know how it goes. The part ran me 110 bucks. Hope i got the right info.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the repair, as stated eariler in the post if possible take a few pictures of your work/repair you may save someone else a few extra minutes and gray hairs
Old July 18th, 2010, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up evap emmission codes issues; PO449 & PO455

Having issues with codes PO449 or PO455 in a 2006 Silverado? Hopefully this can be some help! Code PO449 is the evaporative emissions system vent valve/
solenoid circuit. Code PO455 is a "large leak " detection in the evap emissions system. After contacting the dealer who told me the fix was a "big deal" -somewhere in the $600.00 range - the tank would have to be dropped the transmittion mount removed etc. I decided to do a little more research and i'm glad I did. I priced out the evap emissions solenoid GM part # 19207763 for $110.00. (I could not find a cross over part number at my local auto parts for this piece) The new solenoid is different in design from the old one, the old one having a breather cap built in to the top - the new one will be two pieces: the solenoid itself and a seperate breather which will mount seperately to avoid being filled with dust a debrise again. The "big deal" of a job took about twenty minutes! NO jack, NO tank drop, NO hours of diagnostics, NO big deal. Besides the new solenoid you need about fifteen feet of 5/8 " heater hose, four hose clamps, and a few zip ties. The solenoid is located on the right rear of gas tank and attached with a slide clip style mount. Disconnect the wiring pigtail from old solenoid. Disengage slide clip be depressing tab and remove old solenoid. The old solenoid will obviously still be connected to the hard plastic line at this time. Just let it hang freely, no need to mess with the line clamps on frame. Cut about a four or five inch piece of hose and attach to new solenoid (lower) intake tube using hose clamp. Slide new solenoid onto original mount at rear right of tank. This makes it easier to know exactly where you want to cut the rigid line so that about an inch inserts into the other end of the small piece of 5/8" hose (use hose clamp #2 to secure) Now, take the remaining section of hose and attach the breather using hose clamp #3. You want to locate the new breather in a clean area above the transmittion. A good place to zip tie is the trans breather tube. Careful not to pinch either with ziptie. The "grill" of breather should be horizontal (facing the side of vehicle) Now carfully route the hose towards the rear of truck away from heat sources and moving parts. I routed mine back and across, then fished it above and between tank and frame rail. Once you've reached the back trim of hose not needed and attach to breather (top) outlet of solenoid using clamp #4. Reconnect pigtail to new solenoid. Erase codes. (My local auto parts lends their machine.) Done! Everything is working great. No light on in the dash and ready for emmisions inspection. These pics may be some help as well. One side note: After purchasing the solenoid from the dealer I found out that the $110.00 TRUCK solenoid can be replaced by a cavelier or cobalt solenoid because they cross over or something. The CAR solenoid sells for around $40.00. I didn't check into this fully so...you may want to if you can save some coin. Pictures in link: http://picasaweb.google.com/11649818...2793380/Truck#

Last edited by brn2ryd; September 11th, 2010 at 3:55 PM.
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Has anyone had any luck getting the solenoid to actuate again? Does it just get clogged with debris?

I am getting the 449 and 455 codes too, and the last vehicle I had with a similar problem just had a stuck solenoid. I cleaned it out and reassembled it and haven't had a problem since. I'm about to go look into it on the 05 Suburban of mine.
Old August 8th, 2010, 4:08 PM
Administrator

I'd guess its up to the individual on how many times they want to get under the vehicle...personally I'd want to replace it and be done with it.. rather then have to remove and replace 2x should the cleaning not work but if you are on a budget, or are the type to have to fix it at the root then cleaning it may work...
Old August 9th, 2010, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Eh, it took like 4 minutes to get it off the vehicle. And I like to tinker with things anyhow. It was really dirty. Unfortunately I don't have the riggings to hook up a 12v supply to the solenoid to see if I could make it actuate so I don't really know if it was hung up.

It was however, really dirty in there. Once I got the lid off of it, you could just turn it over and pour a really fine powder like dirt out of it. I cleaned it and reinstalled it. I would like to know if that solenoid has gone out though.
Old August 9th, 2010, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Marine 02 where did you get the valve solenoid for $32, my dealer is quoting me $151 for the EVAP vent valve solenoid for my 2007 Silverado. Do you have a part number, thanks
Old August 9th, 2010, 9:00 PM
Administrator

vstol GM Parts Direct list it for $18.52 assuming I got the details of your vehicle correct

Description Qty MSRP Price Your Price Total Cost
Collision Catalog - 2007 - Chevrolet/Geo - Silverado 1500 new style
Emission system, Emission components, Purge valve, 4.8 5.3 6.0 and 6.2l, 4.8 5.3 6.0 and 6.2l $35.62 $18.52 your cost $18.52
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Chev dealer says P0449 is a EVAP purge/vent control circuit for my 2007 Silverado... they want $153, GM parts direct wants $75. Everyone else on the web is talking about a purge valve which is the purge solenoid. Thoughts before I go fwd
Thanks
Old August 14th, 2010, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default EVAP Solenoid Pictures and Replacement Instructions

vstol,
I purchased my parts from RK Chevrolet in Va Beach, Va. Any Chevy dealer should carry it for the same price. See the links for a picture of the part, the part number, and instruction on how to troubleshoot and replace the part.

Picture of EVAP Control Solenoid and GM Part #
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...7&d=1273543919

Instructions Page 1
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...8&d=1273543989

Instructions Page 2
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...0&d=1273544034

Hope this helps!

marine02xx
Old August 19th, 2010, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

it does thanks and sorry for the late response