Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2013, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilitrack Info

Good News, Peeps!

Replaced the brake switch and my TCS and Stabilitrack systems do not go off and my Cruise Control is working without having to lift the brake pedal up!! It was a $16 part. I have also noticed that I do not have such a wobble from my wheels when I apply the brake from highway speed!
This girl is happy oh happy!
Hope this helps someone else!
Old December 4th, 2013, 5:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stabilitrak Brakes

I was on I-40, heavy traffic, bumper to bumper, 65mph and my brakes started applying for ten seconds. Service Stabilitrak light come on and then 2009 2500HD ran fine. Happened about 15 times but after I almost hit the car next to me and getting rearended I took truck to dealer. Dealer is charging me $500. to replace steering wheel sensor. No Mechanical problems with truck, just a sensor. What has GM done? If my foot is not on the brakes I do not want a computer stopping me in rush hour traffic. After being a GM man for 45 years, GM better come up with a better system or I will try a Ford HD. I want stabilitrak removed from my truck. 46 years with no wrecks on the street and a computer almost caused me to wreck. The road was straight and I was not turning wheel. $442. for a sensor, Get real GM, sensors should not be more than $25 plus 30 minutes labor. Problem started with 70,000 miles on truck. Does anyone know how to disable GM's mistake without yellow light on dash being on? Truck has been fantastic till now. I pull a work trailer and a boat on weekends. I want to turn this off permanently. HELP!

Last edited by bhalbrook1; December 4th, 2013 at 8:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gregory Duvall (January 3rd, 2020)
Old December 4th, 2013, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Songburd
Good News, Peeps!

Replaced the brake switch and my TCS and Stabilitrack systems do not go off and my Cruise Control is working without having to lift the brake pedal up!! It was a $16 part. I have also noticed that I do not have such a wobble from my wheels when I apply the brake from highway speed!
This girl is happy oh happy!
Hope this helps someone else!
Songbird, do you happen to know or remember what the part number was for the brake switch? My 2009 Suburban started doing the same thing with having to lift the brake pedal up so that the cruise control will work.
Old December 9th, 2013, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Well...after having the truck for over 2 years with no major problems, my 2010 silverado came up with the same thing many seem to be posting about this weekend. I was in Arkansas with nasty conditions (ice and snow...and no real plowing being done) and cold temps (highest I saw was 28 F). It worked great in the "Auto" 4x4 mode through all the nastiness all weekend, but when we left to come home Sunday morning, the thing said "Traction Control Off" then "Reduced Engine Power" then "Service Stabilitrack" and it had zero power. Managed to get off the road at a gas station and kicked about a half a ton of ice off the wheel wells and nerf bars. Took about 10 minutes and when I got back in, it worked fine (check engine idiot light stayed on). I put it in 2wd and just decided to do the best I could to get home without messing with the 4x4. After about 4 hours of doing fine with this, stopped for gas and, after filling up and kicking yet more ice off, the check engine light even went off. In the next 3 hours, this thing kicked off 3 more times on the highway, leaving me stopped for 10 minutes or so each time as I broke off yet more ice and looked for any loose lines or hoses (not easy to do with that much dirty ice on the truck). I finally decided to just manually shut off the traction control and that let us get all the way home with no more cutting out and low engine power. This morning, I forgot to turn it off and it went nuts less than 5 miles from my house, making me late to work. It is now at the dealership being looked at and I am awaiting the ungodly estimate when/if they find the problem since the factory warranty doesn't really cover most things. The truck is a pretty basic model (LT, I think) with none of the fancy engine control things on it (that I know of) and I have never used anything but regular unleaded gas in it from larger gas companies.
Old December 9th, 2013, 7:09 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum :-) I'd be willing to bet a wheel speed sensor got water in it or in the connection from the ice and cold temps. Please keep us posted on the findings
Old December 10th, 2013, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the welcome.

Luckily for me, it was something fairly simple (I guess...I am not a mechanic at all and it sounded simple when they explained it). Even more lucky is that it was covered under warranty. They had to replace the "Throttle Position Sensor".

As comfortable as this truck is and as nice as all the high tech things are to have, I kinda miss my old 76 stepside and 81 Z28 and how easy they were to work on :P
Old December 10th, 2013, 9:36 AM
Administrator

Ah...yeah I have seen that listed as one of the causes too... as I understand it the whole throttle body is replaced as the TPS is an integrated item...
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally fixed, "service stabilitrak & traction control

NOT FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL" This happened again using same gas station and fuel using only premium with gas that has no ethanol or additives BUT NOW I KNOW THIS IS WRONG. Went to Chevrolet Service and they have see up to 300 trucks and Suv's same problem with stabilitrac and traction control and check engine light with clunck in between disabling stabilitrac and traction control. HE SAID WE DON’T KNOW HOW TO FIX IT BESIDES CLEARING THE CODES.
DIAGN
OSTIC PROBLEM:

"SERVICE STABILITRAK",
"SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL",
"HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE)
"STABILITRAK OFF",
"TRACTION CONTROL OFF"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUSE:
FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOLUTION:
DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK-
CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED)
CLEANED INJECTORS-
RESET COMPUTER-
FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada)
TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86

REFERENCES
(STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...uestion-47580/
(AFM)-Definition: Active Fuel Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(ETHANOL): Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Last edited by nukstr; April 4th, 2014 at 2:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
earldub21 (August 31st, 2020)
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Good to know...
Some code readers have the ability to show what the alcohol content is, so its always a good place to start...
Here is a capture of some of the data I did on my 07 Tahoe while everything was running good so I would have something to compare to if and when I have problems...its at 3.1% here, but I have seen it as high as 20%, but I suspect the higher % was because I use Techron fuel additive from time to time...

ABSLT LOAD($00 18.0
FUEL SYS 1($00) CLSD
FUEL SYS 2($00) CLSD
ALCOHOL($00) 3.1
REL TPS($00) 3.5
THROT CMD($00) 5.0
ABS TPS B($00) 17.6
ACC POS D($00) 18.8
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BedlamX
Thanks for the welcome.

Luckily for me, it was something fairly simple (I guess...I am not a mechanic at all and it sounded simple when they explained it). Even more lucky is that it was covered under warranty. They had to replace the "Throttle Position Sensor".
These TPS sensors have been causing all kinds of problems. Mine went at 53K and left me with a $400 repair bill. I spoke with customer service on this forum and they refused to do anything. Then about 5 months later, I get a form letter in the mail stating that GM has found defects with this TPS and they would reimburse me for replacement or extend the warranty of the TPS if it had not yet failed. A friend also has a 2011 Tahoe and got the same letter but his has not failed yet. When I researched this after the incident happened, I found people have been having problems with these TPS Sensors pretty much since the new 5.3 VVT engine was released. I am sure your 2010 probably had the same defective part on it as well and must have been why they covered it. It is good to see GM is finally stepping up and addressing this problem with their customers.

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control