Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2015, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found one solution to traction issues

I have found uneven tire pressure will cause the traction error light to come on.

I evened out my tire pressure, cleaned my throttle body and air intake and after a few days problem seems to be solved. Day 3
Old May 19th, 2015, 3:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Could be connected to the throttle body. May need to be cleaned or replaced. However there appears to be numerous causes associated with the S-trak system. Anything from the terminating resistor to a worn brake wire to an under inflated tire.
Old May 20th, 2015, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default Stabilitrack and ABS alarms

I have taken my Chevy Silverado 2009 7 (seven) times to the GM dealerships and even the qualified technicians have not been able to fix the Stabilitrack and ABS alarms that keep coming back ON.

I have spent over $1,000 in parts they say they need to change but the problem is still there. Even the qualified technician at the latest dealership called the GM center and they have not figured out how to fix it.

I am shocked to see how many people are having the same problem, paying so much money, and there is no solution for it. There has to be someone at GM who can figure this out.

After seven inspections with authorized service centers, I don't know what else is available.
Old May 20th, 2015, 5:14 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JavierDCarlo
I have taken my Chevy Silverado 2009 7 (seven) times to the GM dealerships and even the qualified technicians have not been able to fix the Stabilitrack and ABS alarms that keep coming back ON.

I have spent over $1,000 in parts they say they need to change but the problem is still there. Even the qualified technician at the latest dealership called the GM center and they have not figured out how to fix it.

I am shocked to see how many people are having the same problem, paying so much money, and there is no solution for it. There has to be someone at GM who can figure this out.

After seven inspections with authorized service centers, I don't know what else is available.
Hello JavierDCarlo,

We understand how frequent visits to the dealership can be frustrating, and we apologize for this! We would be happy to look into this further the best way possible. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 31st, 2015, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Service Traction Control, Service Stabilitrak

Every time I tow ANYTHING up a decent grade, the tranny seems to shift super hard and the "Service traction control, Service Stabilitrak" message comes on and the traction control triangle, but NO check engine light. Freaks out my passengers because the shifting is pretty damn violent.

Took it to my dealership several times and they say since the "Check engine" light didn't come on that they can't pull any codes...

For my vehicle to say "Service ANYTHING" and the dealership to say they can't service it shows me that Chevrolet has no control over their quality any more.

Time to jump ship.... after owning nothing but Chevy since I started driving 26 years ago. Pretty pathetic.

2011 Silverado 1500 with 57,000 miles. Tow package.
Old June 1st, 2015, 9:27 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by overthebars
Every time I tow ANYTHING up a decent grade, the tranny seems to shift super hard and the "Service traction control, Service Stabilitrak" message comes on and the traction control triangle, but NO check engine light. Freaks out my passengers because the shifting is pretty damn violent.

Took it to my dealership several times and they say since the "Check engine" light didn't come on that they can't pull any codes...

For my vehicle to say "Service ANYTHING" and the dealership to say they can't service it shows me that Chevrolet has no control over their quality any more.

Time to jump ship.... after owning nothing but Chevy since I started driving 26 years ago. Pretty pathetic.

2011 Silverado 1500 with 57,000 miles. Tow package.
Hello overthebars,

I see that you're having trouble towing with your 2011 Silverado and I truly apologize for this!

Since the service stabilitrak light comes on only when your towing, have you considered taking your truck into the dealership while your towing? The dealership could then determine the cause of the error code you're experiencing. I also understand you're experiencing a hard shift while you're towing. We'd be more than happy to contact the involved dealership for further assistance regarding this issue. Feel free to send a private message with your current mileage, contact information, VIN, and preferred dealership.

We look forward to your message.

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 6th, 2015, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Silverado ABS and traction control light

I have a lowered Silverado and I bottomed out real bad and it appears the rear abs cable was crushed - as soon as this happened the abs and traction control light went on.

How hard is this to change? And after it is changed do I need to reset the computer?
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crash6699
Wrench71:
(I don't have any of the hard shifting or any other problems other that the annoying chimes and lights)
You might get lucky by unplugging and reconnecting the hub sensors. The connection is right next to the front springs... here is my story: I have an 07 Silverado LTZ w/ ~75k miles and I am having the same issues myself but I think I might be on track to a solution. After many hours of reading forums, it sounds like its a common problem to have a faulty wire/connection from one of the wheel hub assemblies to the computer... which makes perfect sense b/c a few months ago I started getting the same warning lights on my dash and decided that I "must" have a bad hub assembly. Well, I pulled the drivers side assembly and did a thorough inspection on it and I couldn't find any play/movement. I reinstalled the original hub assembly and moved to the passenger side... and again, I couldn't find anything wrong with that assembly. Puzzled, I put it all together and the next time I drove it I didn't have any "service brake system" or "Stabliltrak off" errors pop up... and that lasted for about 3 months... all from what I think was a faulty connection that I fixed when I unplugged and replugged together the hub sensor connections. But now it's back and I will investigate if they sell the sensors solo or if I must buy the whole damn assembly... OR maybe I'll just try splicing the wires together!!! I will try to keep you posted but this is my first forum post and I have no idea how to navigate around this site...
I am having a similar issue. About 2 years ago the ABS & Stablilrack light came on. it stayed on for several days then cleared then did the same thing several times over several months. Otherwise it drove fine. I finally took it to a dealer and they said it was a right rear wheel speed sensor and replaced it. Fast forward to now, it started doing the same thing, sometime the light will be on for weeks then off for weeks. Still drives fine. Now I doubt the wheel speed sensor was the problem to begin with. I no longer worry about it, I am 70 years old and drove cars for many years without all this junk designed to protect dumb drivers.
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JavierDCarlo

Amend brother, I refuse to spend one more dollar this problem until GM will guarantee a fix.
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same issues with my 2011 Siverado, crew cab, with only 57K miles on it. I took it to my dealer, and they looked at it, and told me that it should only be a minor issue when it gets cold and we have snow on the ground. Well.... the problem is now, and I noticed that the warning comes on when it is warm to hot outside. When the weather turns cooler / cold, the warning light does not come on at all. Seriously, the service manager said " I wouldn't worry about it that much, but it's up to you if you want to get it replaced, as it's going to run you about 365.00 bucks."
Are you kidding me ?? Well, I took his advice, and now this thing is driving me nuts everytime I start the truck, (when it's warm outside) and having this alarm go off.
I have always been a Silverado fan, and will be trading again this coming fall, but now I'm having second thoughts on both the vehicle as well as the service. I wish I could just disconnect the thing, as the truck doesn't change as far as driveability is concerned when the warning comes on.
JUST REALIZED I MAY HAVE THIS IN THE WRONG AREA, SO IF ONE OF THE MODS WOULDN'T MIND MOVING IT TO THE SILVARADO AREA, THAT WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS

Last edited by eaglea1; June 10th, 2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Possibly wrong area

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control