Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2015, 8:46 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Itsfrigginbroke
2011 Chevy Tahoe
So I was idling while in P in a parking lot right now and all the sudden idle gets really rough, engine light comes on followed by "stabilitrack off" message and "power reduced" message. All out of no where! Engine runs like it's running with cylinders down! That's how bad it is....what do I do
Hi there,

I see that you are planning on bringing this to your dealership's attention, but if you need any additional assistance as well, feel free to send us a private message. We would be more than happy to look into this further. Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 20th, 2015, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stabilitrak light came on out of nowhere over the weekend and I came across this forum. I called the dealership first thing this morning and they got my 2010 Silverado LT Crew Cab (55,000 miles) in this afternoon to run diagnostics. The service department called me and let me know that the stabilitrak issue is a well known issue to GM and GM has put out a bulletin regarding it, but not a recall. This simply means that GM is aware of an issue, but not willing to pay to fix their mistake.

Of course, this work is not covered by warranty either. I spent a while arguing with the dealership about this, but had no luck. The price tag to get my truck back to how it should be is $865. I want to stress the fact that GM is aware of this issue and has a bulletin out, but no recall, yet there are so many people out there with this issue. The dealer that I took my truck to is a very well known dealer and one of the bigger dealers (multiple locations) of GM vehicles in about a 100 miles radius and I know several employees from the service department. This isn't some back alley repair shop that doesn't know what they are doing and just trying to make a quick buck at my expense.

My truck will be fixed on Wednesday afternoon and I'll be picking it up after work. The plan is then to drive to my local Ford dealer and get an F150. I've been a GM customer for the past 13 years and it has progressively been getting worse and worse. My advice to you is to just get out from under your Silverado/Sierra before more issues arise.

Last edited by afrank86; July 20th, 2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old July 21st, 2015, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 2007 LTZ a month or so ago. First couple weeks have been good but the gas gauge and fuel range was kind of sporadic and inaccurate (would show 3/4 of a tank when truck turned off for the night... next morning it may be little below half, etc.) so I ran a bottle of Techron through with about 15 gallons of gas which seems to have helped it somewhat but not completely. When that tank was almost gone my truck threw the SST and STC codes and turned both of them off. Truck still drives perfectly normal, when i turn it off it goes away next startup. Put more gas in it and two days later it happens again while driving. After that time it stopped happening for a week until today. I just filled it up and the light came back on while driving. I have a feeling it has something to do with fuel.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I worry about this? The truck doesnt drive any differently except for the notifications and the light, and don't want to spend a ton of money chasing ghosts if it isn't that big of a deal. Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by OrdnaryGuy
I just bought a 2007 LTZ a month or so ago. First couple weeks have been good but the gas gauge and fuel range was kind of sporadic and inaccurate (would show 3/4 of a tank when truck turned off for the night... next morning it may be little below half, etc.) so I ran a bottle of Techron through with about 15 gallons of gas which seems to have helped it somewhat but not completely. When that tank was almost gone my truck threw the SST and STC codes and turned both of them off. Truck still drives perfectly normal, when i turn it off it goes away next startup. Put more gas in it and two days later it happens again while driving. After that time it stopped happening for a week until today. I just filled it up and the light came back on while driving. I have a feeling it has something to do with fuel.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I worry about this? The truck doesnt drive any differently except for the notifications and the light, and don't want to spend a ton of money chasing ghosts if it isn't that big of a deal. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it sounds like you've got spark plugs that are fouled based on your fix and being intermittent. I had the error codes going as well and checked my spark plugs and they were pretty bad looking. My issue is using cheap gas. I now use Chevron from now on after replacing my plugs. Haven't checked the plugs but I'm sure their pretty clean now. Good luck!
Old July 23rd, 2015, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tahoe-somontan
I'm pretty sure it sounds like you've got spark plugs that are fouled based on your fix and being intermittent. I had the error codes going as well and checked my spark plugs and they were pretty bad looking. My issue is using cheap gas. I now use Chevron from now on after replacing my plugs. Haven't checked the plugs but I'm sure their pretty clean now. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion but it turned out to be a brake switch of all things. Happened again when I was able to take it by a shop and they ran the code. ABS code popped up saying something about losing connection to brakes/lights or something similar to that. Looking over the car we noticed the brake lights were on with nobody in it! $20 part and 5 minutes later no more stuck brake lights and hopefully no more annoying AF Stabilitrak and Traction Control messages! I will report back if it happens again but I think (hope) this fixes it.
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by OrdnaryGuy
Thanks for the suggestion but it turned out to be a brake switch of all things. Happened again when I was able to take it by a shop and they ran the code. ABS code popped up saying something about losing connection to brakes/lights or something similar to that. Looking over the car we noticed the brake lights were on with nobody in it! $20 part and 5 minutes later no more stuck brake lights and hopefully no more annoying AF Stabilitrak and Traction Control messages! I will report back if it happens again but I think (hope) this fixes it.

Did the same thing on my '07 Tahoe. Working well for 2 years so far
Old July 28th, 2015, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Update on my problem regarding the brake switch tripping the SST light. Three days after replacing switch it went bad again causing the brake lights to stay on and the light to come back. If you encounter this problem you should probably stick with OEM recommended replacement parts instead of the BWD brand that parts stores seem to carry. The one that was on the truck that originally went bad was a BWD as well so the previous owner must have had the same issue. Replaced the latest one with an AC Delco brand part and it seems to be working well so far. Did some research on BWD brake switches and read a Sierra owner's experience with the same brand part and went through 10(!) of them before replacing it with an AC Delco one and finally fixing the issue completely. Beware.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default new at the forum

[/I]
Originally Posted by jzamo
**Emergency light, Traction Control light & ABS light on at same time**

I have a 2006 Tahoe LS 4.7L
About a year ago all three lights came on and stayed on for about three months. At the time my high mount brake light and tail gait actuator were out. I thought i might have a short which was causing the three lights to come on. I changed the tail gate actuator and replaced the high mount brake light. The three lights went away after doing so. about a month later the lights came back on. I noticed that my high mount brake light was out again. replaced it again and lights went away.
About two months ago the three lights came back on. Another problem that arose was that the air conditioner will not work when the three lights are on. Every once in a while, on a fluke, the AC would work. As soon as the truck was off, and turned on again, or when the AC was turned off, once again i had to air.
I took my Tahoe to a new mechanic that was highly recommended by a friend. He checked into it and found two shorts in my electrical system. One short was in my AC control module and the other in my ABS control module. Both wiring systems associated with these devices were getting grounded which was affecting the 5v ref. wire for each. The ABS module ground issue made the three lights come on and the AC module ground issue prevented the AC from working. My mechanic fixed the issue and all worked fine for a day. Two days later all three lights came on and the AC stopped working again. Took it back to him and he investigated further. He found another short, now in my fuse box on the side of the dash. Apparently when i had an aftermarket DVD player installed at Circuit City about 8 yrs ago, they wired it straight to my fuse box at the 30a fuse. He noticed that the back of the fuse box, behind the 30a fuse (which is used for the ignition, AC, ABS, Traction Control and a few other items) the plastic had began to melt slightly. Apparently with the DVD player powered directly into that 30a fuse, and the AC getting its power from that same fuse, it was overloading it beyond capacity, thus the slight melting of the plastic in the fuse box. After the three lights stopped coming on as soon as i turned on the truck, they would come on as soon as i turned on the AC. Since the AC needs a lot of power to operate, it was draining power from the ABS and traction control, so the lights would come on.
There are two wires that connect to a single wire, which then attaches to the back of the 30a fuse. He connected those two wires to a separate fuse and then connected the fuse to the single wire that attaches to the back of the 30a fuse. This in turn, splits the 30a power into two sources of 15a power. (I forgot to mention that he had rewired my DVD player and it is now powered the correct way and not directly to my fuse box.) Now when i turn on my AC it is not trying to drain all of the power from the 30a fuse which would cause the three lights to come on.
Its been two weeks so far since this was all done and i have not seen the three lights come on and my AC is working perfectly.

For all you having the same issue, go see someone who specializes in electrical systems. Most mechanics, and even dealers, don't take the time to check electrical because of the time involved. My mechanic did and found the problems.

I too had been given the run around by other mechanics just wanting my money. I went from saving $1200 for an ABS Control Module replacement & $270 for a AC Blower Resistor replacement to only spending $400 to have the electrical checked and shorts fixed.

Ill keep you posted in the coming months whether the lights come back on and how my AC is doing.

FYI, my mechanic is in San Pedro, CA
I change my motor mount and when I started driving it again it started showing the stabilitrak and the traction control light do you think your mechanic can help me can I get his info
Old August 3rd, 2015, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If the error showed up after you changed the motor mount, you most likely have knocked one of the wheel speed sensor wire harnesses loose or damaged one of the wires.... trace each wheel speed sensor wire back from the wheel, reseat each connection and inspect the wires...
Old August 4th, 2015, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default My mechanic

Originally Posted by rigo1983
[/I]

I change my motor mount and when I started driving it again it started showing the stabilitrak and the traction control light do you think your mechanic can help me can I get his info
Send me a PM with your info and I'll get you in contact with my mechanic. Where are you located?

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control