Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

High Oil Pressure !!! help me

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2016, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Oil Pressure !!! help me

Hi everyone,

My name is Rafael this is my first post in a forum, so excuse me for any mistakes.

I live in Brazil, tired of our national vehicles with 1.0L 60hp i bought a 2001 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT Autoride by a equivalent 16.900 bucks. I Really loved the car the sound of V8 engine is amazing, is like i could smash any car in the streets.
But ariived the first oil change and the only Filter that i have founded is FRAM PH13, i used the Mobil 5-30. I don't remember if in the day of the swap the oil pressure was normal, but a few months ago i noticed taht when i started the engine the pressure goes to 50-55psi and when i speed up all the the measurer arrive to the end, marking 60-80psi.

And sometimes, when i turn on the engine the needle keep jumping quickly between 45 and 60psi.

Now i don't know if the Filter rised up the pressure (i think he is to small than pf46 or pf61), or the pressure increased by other reason OR the pressure oil sensor is indicating wrong information by this needle jumps.

Please guys help me, here in Brazil has not people that know a lot about these imported cars.

Since yet appreciate your attention.

Last edited by rafamiott; September 30th, 2016 at 2:03 PM.
Old September 30th, 2016, 7:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

The best way to verify if there is a problem is to connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see if the readings are accurate.
Old September 30th, 2016, 7:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can visit AutoZone | Auto Parts & Accessories | Repair Guides & More enter the vehicle information, and it will show you the correct filter to use.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 7:40 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rafamiott
Hi everyone,

My name is Rafael this is my first post in a forum, so excuse me for any mistakes.

I live in Brazil, tired of our national vehicles with 1.0L 60hp i bought a 2001 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT Autoride by a equivalent 16.900 bucks. I Really loved the car the sound of V8 engine is amazing, is like i could smash any car in the streets.
But ariived the first oil change and the only Filter that i have founded is FRAM PH13, i used the Mobil 5-30. I don't remember if in the day of the swap the oil pressure was normal, but a few months ago i noticed taht when i started the engine the pressure goes to 50-55psi and when i speed up all the the measurer arrive to the end, marking 60-80psi.

And sometimes, when i turn on the engine the needle keep jumping quickly between 45 and 60psi.

Now i don't know if the Filter rised up the pressure (i think he is to small than pf46 or pf61), or the pressure increased by other reason OR the pressure oil sensor is indicating wrong information by this needle jumps.

Please guys help me, here in Brazil has not people that know a lot about these imported cars.

Since yet appreciate your attention.
Welcome to the forum,
You may want to pull the oil pressure sensor and screen to clean and inspect, generally the screen being dirty will cause low oil pressure, but it is something to eliminate. Check the oil level, too much oil can cause the higher reading, and as suggested above, consider checking it externally.
You might also check the electrical connection to the sending unit it could be a poor connection.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum,
You may want to pull the oil pressure sensor and screen to clean and inspect, generally the screen being dirty will cause low oil pressure, but it is something to eliminate. Check the oil level, too much oil can cause the higher reading, and as suggested above, consider checking it externally.
You might also check the electrical connection to the sending unit it could be a poor connection.

What is this 'screen' ?? The sensor stay behind the engine block right ?

Are you telling me to remove the sensor and clean him up ?? Where is this screen ??
How can i clean the sensor ?

Sorry, my english is not so good.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 8:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If it's erratic, it's the sensor. How much oil did you put back in?
Old October 3rd, 2016, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk

If I'm not mistaken when i change the oil I put 5 Liters, I ever check the dipstick and the oil never stayed in over levels.

I will clean the oil pressure sensor. I think is he, because these needle jumps is very strange.

OBS : I spoke wrong, my oil filter is ACDelco PF46E not FRAM PH13.

ty
Old October 3rd, 2016, 3:06 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by rafamiott
If I'm not mistaken when i change the oil I put 5 Liters, I ever check the dipstick and the oil never stayed in over levels.

I will clean the oil pressure sensor. I think is he, because these needle jumps is very strange.

OBS : I spoke wrong, my oil filter is ACDelco PF46E not FRAM PH13.

ty
If the needle is "jumping", I just replace the sensor. As stated earlier, if you need to make sure the gauge is correct, you need to put a mechanical pressure gauge on it.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 3:08 PM
CF Monarch

If it's a 5.3, 5 liters would be correct.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

If the needle is "jumping", I just replace the sensor. As stated earlier, if you need to make sure the gauge is correct, you need to put a mechanical pressure gauge on it.
I will do it. You thing that i clean up the sensor he maybe comeback operate normally ?

Ty