Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

horn works part time?

Old November 16th, 2014, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horn works part time?

2003 suburban horn works sometimes and other times it will not..
Old November 17th, 2014, 12:03 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hmm

I'd really like to help you out, but your posts are kind of confusing.

You seem to have a multitude of electrical problems, however never actually post a "question".

Question mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Was this vehicle in a flood? Did you buy it and now it's having these issues?

You've owned it since 2003, and all of these issues just started this week?

Troubleshooting is generally the removal of knowing what works, so we need to track down what stopped working, when, and how... which will find us the why.

A brief history of the vehicle, it's rough location (state / general area is fine, we don't need your home address)!

what you've tried to fix it with, when it stopped working, etc... are all clues

How do you know it works 'sometimes'? As in sometimes when I hit it, or I drive with my fist on the horn 24/7 and sometimes it shuts off?

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; November 17th, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old November 17th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Funny you say flood, cause that was the first thing that came to mind with the multiple electrical issues and anomalies...
Old November 17th, 2014, 1:21 PM
CF Addict

Default spam?

Flooded vehicle, fire, or spam/trolling... I'm getting too old to tell any more...
Old November 19th, 2014, 5:33 AM
CF Beginner

HORN WORKS PART TIME?.. sorry it wasn't clear enough for you.. sometimes when I have the key in the suburban..i turn it on and start it.. I can push on the horn and some times it works and some times it does not.. some times I go for a drive and sometimes my horn will work and sometimes it will not.. like I have stated on the other posts you have cometed on you are aware of how log I have had the suburban.. I found you reply on the fact that my cruise control light would not light up very sarcastic.. you responded.. COOL!.. really.. so to be clear when I drive my ride. the dam horn works part time.. some days it may work and other days it may not.. I don't know how to be any clearer. I have not seen any signs of a flooded ride. Or fire!.. sorry your getting to old.. maybe you should retire from this site and sign up for a more sarcastic site.. were you can spend more time teaching proper grammar to newbies.. please stop wasting my time.. I guess a wiring diagram would be just must to hope for.. dam!.. maybe someone else may know how to diagnose the wiring on a horn.. once again sorry it was just to much for you to understand!
Old November 19th, 2014, 7:15 AM
CF Addict

Default Wow

Please see latter post.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; November 20th, 2014 at 9:43 AM.
Old November 19th, 2014, 7:34 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would try swapping the relay around, it should be the easiest to start with.
The relay will be in the under hood electrical center...
Old November 19th, 2014, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default dobble WOW!!

again sorry about my spelling.. I didn't figure I would have to use auto correct to ask for help from other mechanics.. let me wine a bit for you.. I didn't have the chance to go to a very good school for proper grammer.. ive been on my own sense 12 and lived on the streets for a while.. I put my self tru school to recive my GED.. the went into auto front end school.. despite the fact that I have a mental learning disability of Ceribel palsiy.. I guess I should post the fact that I am disabled and have mental learning probloms in my profile.. but I didn't figure I would have to concider the fact of counting on proper English to ask a simple question. but thank you for clearifying the fact that there are always persons that fell compelled to point out every little thing to belittle others.
Old November 20th, 2014, 9:43 AM
CF Addict

Default Not at all

You'll notice my responses didn't become rude until yours did.

I know not everyone has a flawless writing style or even close to perfect grammar. Especially not me .

I'm all for getting this back on topic. I have the time and ambition to help other fix stuff. I like fixing stuff. So let's fix it!

A horn is a rather simple setup (unless GM's complicated it for reasons unknown).

Switch in the steering wheel above the airbag + noise maker under the hood. 12v circuit, most likely completes the positive wire for the connection, with a constant ground to the horn.

Did the horn work before you took the dash apart? (I saw that on another thread).

Are you able to get voltage at the horn every time the horn is pressed?

you should see 12v DC at the horn connection 100% of the time the horn is pressed.

I don't know where exactly the horn is other than to say it's under the hood, you may need an assistant to help find it.

Harbor Freight often has a small red multimeter cheap or free w/coupon. It actually works quite well.

If you don't get 12v DC at the horn connector consistent with pressing the horn in the cab, then you're looking at either a horn button issue, or wiring issue.

I'm not familiar w/the 2003 specifically but I'm guessing the horn is part of the airbag assembly. And those are not cheap.

In my home state a working horn is required to pass inspection.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; November 20th, 2014 at 9:49 AM.