Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Complaint against dealership

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2008, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complaint against dealership

Need some help here guys...

So I took my Tahoe in today for a Maintenance II service were they have to do an oil change, change the air filter and rotate the wheels. I have aftermarket 24" rims that is powdercoated white. Straight to the point, I did a lock out. I had them lock the car outside cause I have to pick it up after business hours and pick up my keys from the sales department... So I got my keys and walked towards the truck and first instinct I had was to check for damages on my wheels that they just rotated. First thing I noticed was some black marks on the outside rim on where you put in the lugnuts. I thought it was just dirt cause it's been raining today. So I used a finger to try to rub it off and realized that it's scratched up. Worst thing about is that all 6 holes and the other 3 rims all have scratches on it also. It seems like the mechanic who worked on my truck didn't care much about my $5000 set of wheels and just slammed his air gun on it like its nothing... Im planning to go back to the dealership first thing in the morning to file a complaint.

Have any of you guys had this happen before? Or ever filed a complaint for damage aftermarket parts? If so, did they man up and paid for the damages? Any advise would help...
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Complaint against dealership

What a bummer! Hopefully the dealership will recognize that their mechanic caused the problem and take care of it without a hassle. Some scratches can be buffed out. Good luck to you.
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Yea what a bummer! I checked the scratches already and I don't think you can buff it out. This thing is more chipped that I can see the the original color that they powdercoated over.

I'm afraid when I go there in the morning that they will deny it and say it was there before and give the freaking run around... Also not to mention they forgot to give me back the lock for my lug nuts.
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

I don't know why some service departments are so half-assed (pardon my french). No one needs the aggravation of trying to get something fixed that was screwed up by someone doing a crummy job. I guess my "buff" suggestion was sort of dumb...I just realized that you said your wheels are powdercoated white. I would just go in there and be matter-of-fact, and ask to see the Service Manager and explain the problem. Be polite but FIRM. If that doesn't work, get loud and obnoxious, haha.
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Yea I don't get it either... And were suppose to trust them to work on our vehicles and take care of it... First I'm going to talk to service advisor who took care of me. See what he got to say about it. If he don't take care of it then I will go to the service manager... Whats making me so mad is that all the other wheels have the same damages on it on the same area not just one wheel.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The unfortunate part is they see the same vehicles day in day out and they probably see some really fine customs come in that the owners don't even bother to take care of ... sad but true.
I have found the best way to help avoid situations like this is to make sure you point out that they need to take special care of what ever it is that you are having them work on.

If you tell the service writer to please be careful with my custom wheels, he/she should be taking the time to write it on the repair order.

ALWAYS take a full walk around inspection of your vehicle when they return it to you BEFORE driving it away.

Don't assume they did it all right, qualified or not the service techs have bad days too

Check for fresh dents, scratches and any marks that are obviously fresh/new
Check to see that all 4 value caps are on, the lug covers are seated.
Pop the hood check that the fill caps are on and tight.
Check the inside for grease, oil and smudge on seats ,steering wheel and radio buttons/***** (yes they do listen to your radio sometimes esp if its kick ***!)
Check the gauges make sure they are in range
Check the glove box for your wheel lock
Write down your mileage BEFORE you hand it over for servicing, yes they do test drive some times but typically not for oil changes and tire rotations.(if its lunch time you may have provided the delivery truck)

If at all possible take it in washed and clean.

Once you drive off the lot, it's a whole lot harder to prove anything.

They are simple pre, post drive inspections that will take 3-5 minutes, have the service writer do it with you, it's their job.
You're not wasting their time you just paid them for the service.

And definitely be polite, respectful but firm as sarahw stated.

Im not saying go in suspicious of there every move or motive but don't be naïve thinking they areall an bunch of happy go lucky looking out for your best interest.

Good luck I hope they address the issues with yourwheels as well as the tech...

EDIT

Chant this mantra to yourself when ever you take your vehicle in for servicing
“ No one cares for My vehicle more then I do so I must remind them”
Old October 31st, 2008, 4:41 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow that sucks... i always go in with my car, and watch them work, they might hate it, but I paid good $ for my car, and I want it done right...

and thats only IF its under warrenty / free...

everything you listed, I could have done my self....

then you know its done right... as sad as it is....

i hope you didn't sign any work related waiver when you dropped it off [8D]

I bet you could swap rims on my woman's car, and she wouldn't notice.... i would notice a 1/4" scratch anywhere on my truck lol