Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How do i disconnect the Onstar in my Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2007, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do i disconnect the Onstar in my Tahoe?

Unless your wife reports the vehicle stolen to the police, I'm pretty sure that Onstar will not track your vehicle without a police report. Maybe she could bluff Onstar and convince them with a bogus report number, but other than that, I wouldn't worry.
Old April 19th, 2007, 8:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Only the police can ask onstar to track the truck, not the member.
Old April 20th, 2007, 3:29 PM
CF Junior Member

If you can afford a wife ad a girlfriend, then you shoud be able to afford a cab.
Old May 14th, 2007, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

If you want theGPS disabled, I can tell you how I accidentally did it (really). Open the glovebox door past the stopper (just bend the stopper in and the box door will open all the way). There is a box with a single small coax cable (black) terminating in a blue connector. Disconnect that connector (or, accidentally break it like I did whilst installing my ipod interface box...). Poof, no more GPS on vehicle.

Now that I've told you this, take the cable out and send it to me! I need a new one and no one can seem to figure out how to get one for me...

Cheers,

Old August 13th, 2008, 9:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like an cop to meor maybe an Onstar employee.Im going thru a mess with onstar as we discuss this whole rediculous system. Its an expensive piece of junk in my oppinion and if I dont want it in my vehicle asa lot of other people dont then there should be no problemdisabling it. Plain and simple. GM says its a safety device and cant do it . So Ive done it myself, In both my VehiclesIt took Onstar just 2 days to Figure out Neither of mine were working and call me. I told them I didnt want them when I purchased the vehicles anddisabled them myself They are now telling me I need to return the truck to the dealership to have it checked out. BS Tell me they arent monitoring these systems. And as far as Insurance goes all you need to do is tell them you dont have Onstar.That didnt even make a change in my policy. Onstars the biggest Rippoff GM has everhad and there getting a lot ofcomplaints over it.
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Lifted07, OnStar is the biggest waste of, "forced" upon junk by GM. When are they going to realize that no wants to be forced to use this? I would love to know the actual hard numbers on how many actually keep the service after the free year. The fact that GM/OnStar is in bed with a single cellular carrier (Verizon) is another reason the concept is stupid. People want diversity, they want a service provider choice.

As far as your insurance company is concerned, they don't care whether you have OnStar or not, (I have Lojack) and if you're not paying for the service and you get in an accident with an airbag deployment do they actually send you help? I know after my year trial was done, I didn't pay to keep it. I wonder if they just ignore you, and here's why...

Funny story. One day at a gas station I locked my keys in the truck, so I called OnStar to ask them to unlock the truck. The CSR said that they couldn't do anything for me because I wasn't paying for the monthly service. I said fine, just sign me up real quick and pop it. I'd pay for that month and be done. They gave me the BS that they can't connected over the phone, a tech has to come out. I'm an engineer and I know that they don't have to physically do anything at the OnStar interface to activate it. They just want to steal people's money every month because most people don't know any better.

Lastly for the knuckle-head that ripped off the antenna on the roof and had water leak inside his vehicle, you can disconnect the entire OnStar module without touching the antenna on the roof or near the XM module behind the glovebox. (Still wondering if that's accurate, a GPS antenna wire near the XM module.) Underneath your radio/temp controls is the OnStar module, just unplug it and you're done. That cuts the power to the unit, therefore it doesn't matter if the GPS antenna is hooked up or not.
Old August 15th, 2008, 7:36 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Not to get too far off topic here but the On-Star is the least of your worries for being tracked, your cell phone is just as trackable, all newer phones have 911 GPS tracking enabled (unless you turn it off) AND I know for a fact that Sprint has an option so that family members can track cell phones. sfl.sprintpcs.com I have it and can track all the phones on my account via the web or my own cell phone. Give a map location and address and sattilite image of location. Can also show you historical locations the phone has been. I kid you not....
Old August 15th, 2008, 9:48 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Not only that but unless you remove the cell battery, there's a gov't agency that can turn it on remotely and listen. []
Old August 29th, 2009, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default disconnecting onstar

So far it is not an easy task i have a cts 2008 and wish to disconnect the onstar but have not been able to find the module or the antenna connection. I tried pulling the onstar 15amp fuse but then the car wouldn't start. does anyone know where it is located for sure. I found some pics of a 2007 cts and the VCIM module/box was suppose to be in the trunk if its behind the radio then that's a great deal smaller then what i have been looking for and then how do you take out the nav display radio unit in order to get to the onstar module, thanks
Old August 31st, 2009, 9:27 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wow

wow, you people must really hate onstar... i only hate one aspect of it, but not enough to rip it out... I like that if its stolen the police can not only find it, but shut it down as well... of course now that I think about that idea... if its stolen, I don't want it back, I just want a check. I bought a new tahoe, i want a new unraped tahoe... if they steal it, they better total it! and before I total them!

I only dislike, and think it opens them to lawsuits, that you have to pay monthly for OnStar accident support, while the Ford Sync does the SAME THING for FREE...

that's like me standing by working lifeboats on the titanic, but hey; unless you paid your monthly fee, your goin down sucker! I just hope I never have to find out!

Quick Reply: How do i disconnect the Onstar in my Tahoe?