Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How to: Eibach pro kit install on '07 Tahoe (non-self leveling)

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: Eibach pro kit install on '07 Tahoe (non-self leveling)

This install took me about 3.5 hours and was somewhat involved. A friend to help is a must to make it go smoothly. Here's what you need to do it:

1. Hydraulic jack, stands, and wheel chocks
2. Air compressor (optional, but it will go 2X faster)
3. Spring compressor (You can get at any auto parts store)
4. 21mm deep socket
5. 18mm deep socket
6. 15mm deep socket
7. Pry bar or something for leverage

I opted to do the rear first so you will need to chock the front wheels and loosen the lug nuts slightly on the rear.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next, position the jack under the rear differential and jack the truck up until the rear wheels are off the ground a couple of inches. Place the jack stands under the frame rails, then drop the weight of the truck onto them, making sure they are level and secure.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now, remove the rear wheels and use the 18mm socket to loosen the sway bar nuts as shown
[IMG]
[/IMG]

Now, remove the shock bolts using the 21mm socket

[IMG][/IMG]

Once the sway bar connections and shocks are disconnected, very slowly drop the rear end down, careful not to snag any sensor wires or brake lines.
As the rear end comes down, the springs will loosen and free up. Go ahead and pull the springs out. It might take a little bit of gentle persuasion.
[IMG]
[/IMG]

Notice the difference between the stock and the new Eibachs:

[IMG][/IMG]

Take the rubber off of the stock springs and put on the new ones. The rubber prevents any noise from the spring coils touching.

[IMG][/IMG]

Reinstall everything in reverse. Have a buddy jack the rear up as you guide the springs back into position. Re-tighten everything up and that's it for the rear.

Now the fun part! The front!

Use the e-brake to keep the back from moving and use the engine crossmember as a jacking point. Position the stands like before on the frame rails and remove the front wheels. The front uses coil over shocks and provides a pretty supple ride.
[IMG]
[/IMG]

Start by removing the two 15mm bolts on each side that hold the bottom of the coil over assembly to the lower control arm.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now, locate and remove the 3- 18mm nuts on each coil over holding it from the top. You can do it from underneath or on top. (I did both) The top will require the use of some extensions to reach.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Now once all the nuts/bolts are removed, use the pry bar to remove the assembly off the lower control arm.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's the assembly next to another important tool...

[IMG][/IMG]

Now, loosen the 18mm nut on each top hat of the coil over SLIGHTLY. Do not take it off, you will be SERIOUSLY INJURED by the spring. Use the spring compressor to take the tension off the spring. Once the tension is off, remove the 18mm nut and pull the top hat and spring off the shock.

[IMG][/IMG]

You need to replace the stock bump stop with the supplied bump stop or cut 2" off of the stock one. This will allow for use of the stock shock and make for a factory ride.

[IMG][/IMG]

Be sure to do one side at a time to allow a stock reference to the order of the dust boot, spring top and bottom, bump stop, etc. Reinstall everything in reverse and tighten up all nuts and bolts. Drop the truck down and admire your new stance!!

Here's the before and after:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

DISCLAIMER: This is how I did it, and I am not responsible for any damage, injury, or negligence as a result of your installation. Use common sense and be safe!!!

Old September 24th, 2006, 4:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: How to: Eibach pro kit install on '07 Tahoe (non-self leveling)

Excellent work!

On those rear blue jobs, how did you position them on the Eibachs, the same as the stock, about mid way up on the spring toward the top of the spring?
Thank
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:15 PM
CF Active Member

The Eibachs's coils seem to be closer together towards the top. So yeah, I put them where I thought it would make sense. The ride is more responsive and stable than stock. My wife even noticed, and she isn't into all the modding stuff.
Old September 27th, 2006, 1:01 AM
CF Active Member

Bump it up...
Old October 3rd, 2006, 1:35 PM
CF Active Member

Can we sticky this please?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 2:27 PM
CF Active Member

Good Detailed Pictures.....Thanks.
Old October 7th, 2006, 2:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Very nice write up. How much was the total drop? Have you noticed a good improvement in handling? Where did you get the Eibach's and how much?
Old October 13th, 2006, 1:00 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks. The drop was 2/3. I'd go lower, but the wife doesn't like the slammed look. I immediately noticed more stability in corners. I'm overall impressed with the handling. I just took it into the Rocky Mountains and it performed perfectly. Some of those downhill grades with curves were pretty crazy and I was surprised at how responsive and controlled the truck was. Me likes!! As far as the cost, I paid like 250.00 off some E-Bay store. Not too bad...
Old October 15th, 2006, 8:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Gapp, any thought as to installing the eibach sway bars?
Old October 16th, 2006, 2:01 PM
CF Active Member

I would do it if I had the money, but the factory bars aren't too bad. I'd probably spend the money on intake/exhaust/programmer before I'd get a new sway bar.

Quick Reply: How to: Eibach pro kit install on '07 Tahoe (non-self leveling)