Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How much boat can '07 Tahoe tow?

Old June 27th, 2007, 1:08 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much boat can '07 Tahoe tow?

I have an '07 Tahoe without the tranny cooler -- plan to install that when I get the boat. I have a rough idea of how much the Tahoe can tow only from the manufacturer specs, but since I've never owned a boat, I don't really know how much boat I can get that won't overstrain the new Tahoe. I've been browsing Craigslist for boats, but I don't want to dive into one unless I know I can safely tow it.

Here's an example:
1979 28'Bayliner Bounty powered by twin Chevy 350's with Volvo outdrives (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/360991645.html)

Is this towable with the Tahoe?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5943/CC6FF2464A264D0B8A69705F9C7D8D6E.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 27th, 2007, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much boat can '07 Tahoe tow?

Did you happen to look in the owners manual? Good place to start...or try chevrolet's website.
Old June 27th, 2007, 9:18 AM
CF Active Member

Like I said, I know the specs on the Tahoe (re-read my question). In other words, is a 28' boat too much to tow? I don't know how much a 28' boat weighs, so I was asking how that relates to size of a boat in the experience of other Tahoe owners.
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

You need to get the manufacturer's certified weight of the boat. Don't ask a boat dealer or the private owner, get the figure from Bayliner. Then get the weight of the trailer or a good estimate plus 10%. Then add 900 lbs. for fuel, fluids, on-board gear, etc. Add all of these figures to find the gross weight that you'll be towing.

My gut feel is that you'll be over 14,000 lbs. Minimum tongue weight should be 10% of the gross, so you'd have 1,400 lbs. on the tongue. That's considerably over the hitch rating I believe. Remember that not only are you going to tow the weight but you've got to be able to stop it. Even with a good braking system, that's a lot of weight for a Tahoe.

Go over and check out some of the RV forums. They have excellent information about towing capacities and necessary aux. equipment. One of the best is http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...1/forum/41.cfm. This address takes you to the "tow vehicles" area of the site. You're going to read some sobering accounts of people wrecking their tow vehicles and their trailers while trying to tow too much. My personal rule is to stay conservative on tow loads and really do my homework on upgrades like extra suspension and cooling capacity before I even plan a towing session. This is serious business.

Good luck.
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM
CF Active Member

LT4Steve,

Thanks for the great answer -- exactly what I was looking for. I knew I could get intelligent answers from some of the experienced members in the forum.
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

max gross on a tahoe is 7700lbs....if your boat is over that you CANT tow it....easy and intellignet enough for you....
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:28 AM
CF Active Member

Found this for you on NADA...

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...p;d=1600019059

Looks like that particular boat is a 27' Bayliner Bounty 2850 with a net weight of 7,200 lbs. That's without misc. equipment, trailer, and the larger dual engine size. I would be really leary of towing that boat with the Tahoe. Seems like once you add the weight of the trailer and equipment, you'll be well over the towing capacity.

I tow a 3,000 lbs net weight boat with my Tahoe and it pulls it with ease. That's 90% of the reason I upgraded from a Jeep Wrangler to the '07 Tahoe. Perfect for towing in this weight range. Good luck boat hunting, it's one of my favorite things to do.
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MalibuMaxxSS

max gross on a tahoe is 7700lbs....if your boat is over that you CANT tow it....easy and intellignet enough for you....

Maximum trailer weight that an 07 Tahoe can tow is 8,200 lbs for a 4X4 w/5.3L and 4.10 gears.

This boat is well over this rating.

Typically a modern 26" run-a-bout on the trailer with fuel and gear would be the max recommended trailer load however; some boats are heavier than others so it's always a good idea to take the trailer to a truck stop and weigh it on a certified scale for safety sake.

And as always the biggest problem is not being able to move the load it is being able to stop it and control it.
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

....The RV guys know all of the practical considerations of serious towing. Spend an hour on a couple of their forums and you'll understand why we are(the responders here) not encouraging. And no one has even mentioned what this'll do to your transmission.......with or without a cooler. How about your differential? It absolutely needs to be 3.73....4.10 would be better. I'm currently installing a 102 sq. inch stacked plate transmission cooler on my '03 LT, 5.3, 3.42 2WD. This is in preparation to tow a 4,500 lb. open car trailer (loaded). I'm installing a trans. temp. gauge with sending units at the converter and on the output side of the cooler. With a two-position switch, I'll be able to measure what the cooler is doing as well as temp. as it exists the converter.

As before, good luck.
Old June 27th, 2007, 1:13 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LT4Steve

....The RV guys know all of the practical considerations of serious towing. Spend an hour on a couple of their forums and you'll understand why we are(the responders here) not encouraging. And no one has even mentioned what this'll do to your transmission.......with or without a cooler. How about your differential? It absolutely needs to be 3.73....4.10 would be better. I'm currently installing a 102 sq. inch stacked plate transmission cooler on my '03 LT, 5.3, 3.42 2WD. This is in preparation to tow a 4,500 lb. open car trailer (loaded). I'm installing a trans. temp. gauge with sending units at the converter and on the output side of the cooler. With a two-position switch, I'll be able to measure what the cooler is doing as well as temp. as it exists the converter.

As before, good luck.

Wow Steve!
Installing a temperature sensor at the torque converter would be quite a trick and another one at the output side of the cooler would be virtually useless.
The 2007 Tahoe is equipped with a transmission temperature read-out in the driver information system displaying how hot the fluid inside the transmission is which is really what matters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much boat can '07 Tahoe tow?