Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How to program new key & remote fob for 2011 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2012, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to program new key & remote fob for 2011 Suburban

Hi - Does anyone know how to program a new key & remote fob? I'm replacing a lost set which I purchased from iKeyless. Thanks for your help!
Old January 4th, 2012, 3:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the manual -
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIC Operation and Displays (With DIC Buttons):
Relearn Remote Key
This display allows you to match Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitters to your vehicle. To match an RKE transmitter to your vehicle, do the following:
1. Press the vehicle information button until PRESS V TO RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays.
2. Press the set/reset button until REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE is displayed.
3. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first transmitter at the same time for approximately 15 seconds. A chime will sound indicating that the transmitter is matched.
4. To match additional transmitters at this time, repeat Step 3. Each vehicle can have a maximum of eight transmitters matched to it.
5. To exit the programming mode, you must cycle the key to LOCK.

DIC Operation and Displays (Without DIC Buttons):
Relearn Remote Key
To access this display, the vehicle must be in PARK (P). This display allows you to match Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitters to your vehicle. To match an RKE transmitter to your vehicle, do the following:
1. Press the trip odometer reset stem until RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays.
2. Press and hold the trip odometer reset stem for three seconds. The message REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE will display.
3. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first transmitter at the same time for approximately 15 seconds. A chime will sound indicating that the transmitter is matched.
4. To match additional transmitters at this time, repeat Step 3. Each vehicle can have a maximum of eight transmitters matched to it.
5. To exit the programming mode, you must cycle the key to LOCK.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope that helps! It is important to note that all of your remotes (even the ones already programmed) must be programmed under one session. If you don't, all of your current key fobs will no longer be programmed. Once you start the the relearning process, simply program both fobs within a short period of each other, under that same reprogramming. Do not re-start the learning process between each one. Good Luck!!

Last edited by ChevyFreak; January 4th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If ChevyFreak's method doesn't work, try here.
Old January 6th, 2012, 8:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Starting in 2011 you cannot programm a new key fob without a scan tool. Below is from the GM techlink here GM Techlink: January 2011 Archives Scroll about 3/4 down the page. Also copied below.

If the owner of a 2011 Impala, Escalade model, Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, or Yukon Denali XL requests to have a Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter (key fob) programmed, a scan tool must be used. This does not apply to Impala and Tahoe fleet vehicles.

TIP: Starting in the 2011 model year, key fobs can only be programmed using a scan tool.

In previous model years, it was possible to program key fobs for these vehicles using the vehicle's Driver Information Center (DIC), if equipped. Programming key fobs through the DIC is no longer an option on the 2011 model year vehicles.

Last edited by HOE-N-IT; January 6th, 2012 at 9:02 AM.
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOE-N-IT
Starting in 2011 you cannot programm a new key fob without a scan tool. Below is from the GM techlink here GM Techlink: January 2011 Archives Scroll about 3/4 down the page. Also copied below.

If the owner of a 2011 Impala, Escalade model, Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, or Yukon Denali XL requests to have a Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter (key fob) programmed, a scan tool must be used. This does not apply to Impala and Tahoe fleet vehicles.

TIP: Starting in the 2011 model year, key fobs can only be programmed using a scan tool.

In previous model years, it was possible to program key fobs for these vehicles using the vehicle's Driver Information Center (DIC), if equipped. Programming key fobs through the DIC is no longer an option on the 2011 model year vehicles.
Ah. I did not know that! I assumed (that's the problem) that the 2011's would be the same. I just gave him the information from the PDF manual I have for my 2007. Why would GM do that? Probably for security reasons, but you would still need access to the DIC, which requires having a key. It seems more like a money gimmick to me, but who knows? Hmmm... Nonetheless, thank you for clearing that up!
Old January 17th, 2012, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting 2 new keys and a fob from iKeyless. I called a few dealers near by to compare prices and was able to get both keys cut and all programming done for $35.