Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How to remove plastic grill mesh

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove plastic grill mesh

I'm looking to replace my plastic grill mesh with the stainless wire, anybody know how to remove it or where I can find detailed instructions, without destroying it?
Old March 28th, 2011, 6:30 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

It appears that if you remove the frame, you'll have access to the backside of the grill insert which has tabs that appear to hold it in. The tricky part would seem to be how to release/bend the tabs enuf to allow the insert to be removed. Maybe several friends working together. Bear in mind that this is conjecture as I've never done it, just an observation I made when I was looking for a billet grill. Finally went w/ a bolt-over which worked fine as the early '07s didn't have the chrome inserts.
Old March 29th, 2011, 4:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
It appears that if you remove the frame, you'll have access to the backside of the grill insert which has tabs that appear to hold it in. The tricky part would seem to be how to release/bend the tabs enuf to allow the insert to be removed. Maybe several friends working together. Bear in mind that this is conjecture as I've never done it, just an observation I made when I was looking for a billet grill. Finally went w/ a bolt-over which worked fine as the early '07s didn't have the chrome inserts.
While home with a sick kid today I got a chance to take a look and it seems there are the tabs you speak of but I dont see how the chrome frame would come out without the black mesh?? I could be wrong but its the way it looks to me... I found a GM part number for the Chrome SS grille inserts and from the pictures they just go in from behind the grill so I was assuming the black mesh would come out the same way???

If its like what I had on my Titan I may just have to go with an insert....
Old March 29th, 2011, 5:07 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I can pull out my Chrome mesh but I have not taken the chrome ring out...it seems that it may be a part of the front fascia...
Old March 29th, 2011, 8:11 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Body Hardware and Trim | Exterior Trim | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 1698643
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fascia Grille Replacement (Suburban, Tahoe)

Callout
Component Name

Preliminary Procedure
Remove the fascia. Refer to Front Bumper Fascia Replacement .

Grille Screws

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Tighten
9 N·m (80 lb in)

Grille Clips

Grille Assembly

Tip
Release the tabs securing the grille.

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Body Hardware and Trim | Exterior Trim | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 1758502
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front Bumper Fascia Replacement/removal (Tahoe)

Callout
Component Name

Preliminary Procedure
Remove the front wheelhouse liners. Refer to Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement - Left Side and Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement - Right Side .

Front Fender Bracket Bolt (Qty: 4)

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Tighten
7 N·m (62 lb in)

Front Fascia To Impact Bar Brace Bolt (Qty: 2)

Tighten
10 N·m (89 lb in)

Front Fascia To Radiator Core Support Bolt (Qty: 6)

Tighten
6 N·m (53 lb in)

Front Fascia

Procedure
Disconnect any electrical connector.
Transfer parts as needed.

© 2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove plastic grill mesh-capture1.jpg   How to remove plastic grill mesh-capture2.jpg