Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

98 tahoe distributor HEEEEELLLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2010, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 tahoe distributor HEEEEELLLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!

i done a head gasket job and have been having tons of trouble since,main question below,explanation follows this,was having trouble getting it close to timed right after i put it together so i was going to take it and have it scaned to see how far off it was but before i did i ended up breaking one of the ears off the distributor,so i went to the junk yard and got a used one or atleast a guted one so i swaped my guts from the original one into the new/used one and got it running good enough to get it to a shop.when i got it there he said it was a tooth off so he fixed it and it still ran like crap so i figured it may have some thing to do with the valves/rocker arms being dry set so i took it back home and reset them the right way,with it running,but it still ran like crap after i was done so i took it back to the shop and let him hook it up to the scanner and he said everything was fine}fine meaning it running like **** accounted for all the codes it was throwing{but the timing was still set right.then he mentioned he didnt know what else it could be other than something electrical/machanical meaning something in the ignition,timing,or mechanical timing,meaning the rotor button or bad distributor/arking/jumping then i remembered that when i was swaping guts from the old one to the new/used one i seen under where the rotor button is it had a 6 printed on the metal and on the old/original one after i took the guts out of it and put them in the new/used one i seen an 8 printed on the metal on it under where the rotor button was

now for my question if you took a 6 cylinder distributor and guted it and replaced those guts with an 8 cylinder guts would it still work the same >by guts i mean crank/cam sensor rotor button and cap btw i have a 5.7 ltr v8 edi type distributor.

Last edited by evilpea; March 2nd, 2010 at 8:44 PM. Reason: correction
Old March 2nd, 2010, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

also i have already changed the ignition coil in case it was just randomly firing.but there was no change.
Old January 5th, 2012, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Found Out what the problem was

The nut at the junk yard gave me a 6 cylinder at the junk yard instead of an 8 so the sensor was trying to fire at the wrong time because the metal part under the distributor told it to. The metal part that the rotor button sets on had two gaps in it and the original only had one.