Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

I cleaned my TB now high revs @ idle

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2011, 8:13 AM
RJK
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I cleaned my TB now high revs @ idle

2007 5.3 Felxfuel
I cleaned my throttle body, now I have high RPM at idle around 2000.

I disconnected the battery for 10 mins. That did not do it I have only driven about 50 miles since which was ony 2 starts 25 miles each way.
Every thing I read and talk to tells me it will relearn on its own. How many miles do I need to drive before it goes back to normal idle.
I had only one vacuum connection that I unhooked during the cleaning and I re-checked it is connected so rule out vaccuum leak.

Thanks
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:44 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you take the TB off all the way to clean? also can up update what you did/used? I would think a loose vaccum line would make the idle go up and down bad but not just run high. is there anything that has the TB butterfly stuck open any?
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM
RJK
CF Junior Member

I used CRC throttle body & air intake cleaner. I did not take the TB off I just cleaned as best I could with it attached. Sprayed the butterfly and throat? scrubbed with a tooth brush wiped clean. I had only 1 vaccuum line I disconected and it is re-connected.

I used very litle CRC because I did'nt want it to run down into the intake.
Thanks
Old January 25th, 2011, 7:16 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

a drive cycle will probably need to be long enough to get the vehicle fully warmed up and get all the emissions monitors okay if you have a code reader / scanner that monitors.... drive for about 40 miles should do it..
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you disconnect the TPS BEFORE you sprayed the solvent into the throttle bore?
Old January 26th, 2011, 7:41 AM
RJK
CF Junior Member

RacerX I did not disconnect the TBS sensor prior to cleaning!
Old January 26th, 2011, 8:11 AM
CF Veteran

Do some more driving to see if it goes away hopefully but if it doesnt....

I guess you ddnt take off the idle speed actuator also. Hmm, maybe when you cleaned out the throttle body you pushed all the gunk into the ISC motor. Take that off and clean the butterfly plate in that also, same way, spray and soft toothbrush.

No codes?
Old January 26th, 2011, 8:19 AM
RJK
CF Junior Member

No Codes, it seems fine while driving or in gear, just in park/Neutral is where I get idle @ 2000rpm Ill drive it some more and see if it goes away.
I have read where other had the same issue and just driving fixed it.

Thanks
Old January 28th, 2011, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

I cleaned my throttle body on 07 suburban with 92k earlier today. Removed and cleaned, also clean MAF using correct cleaners on each. Butterfly was dirty but looks good now. I did this because of check engine light (forgot number) saying TB, fuel position sensor. Replaced w/ new fuel position sensor (at gas pedal) from dealer and light came back on next day. After cleaning, high and eratic idle. I have disconnected battery, driven about 50 miles with numerous stops. At times seams better then not. The only vacuum line is connected. Talked with mechanic, says he has seen this before and has self corrected with in a day. I hope does but if any else knows what to check, please let me know.

Last edited by hfd11; January 28th, 2011 at 3:55 PM.
Old January 28th, 2011, 5:59 PM
CF Veteran

Well, look for an adjustment screw on the throttle plate on the opposite side of the TPS and when the car is warm put it in Neutral and chock the wheels. Get your tach speed, 2000 rpms you say. then put it in Drive, sure to chock the wheels or brace the car against a building or a tree and get your rpms. Does it drop to 600-650? Or is it in the 1200-1500 range? If it is higher than 800 then you re going to have to dial the throttle plate screw back counterclockwise 1/4 turn at a time to check for RPM speed on the dash.

Maybe when you were cleaning the throttle you might have pushed the adjustment screw unknowingly and bumped up the idle. I dont know...

If you get a good read in DRIVE but high in Neutral or Park...hmmm, do a backprobe test on the TPS sensor Key On Engine Off.

Quick Reply: I cleaned my TB now high revs @ idle