Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

I cleaned my TB now high revs @ idle

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2015, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is expected to throttle high after cleaning the throttle body, but may I ask you when you cleaned it did you open the valve to get in and clean it around the inner housing?
The reason I ask is that I was told to not open or move the butterfly as it can disrupt the throttle body position sensors.
That being said, the relearn procedure I was given is the following:
1.) Start and idle the engine in park for 3 minutes.
2.) With a scan tool, monitor the desired and actual rpm
3.) The ECM will start to relearn the new idle cells and Desired RPM should start to decrease.
4.) Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.
5.) Start and idle the engine in park for 3 minutes.
6.) After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal.

Important: During the drive cycle the check engine light may come on with the idle speed DTCs. If idle speed codes are set, clear codes so the ECM can continue to learn.

--> If the engine idle speed has not been learned the vehicle will need to be driven at speeds above 70 km/h (44 mph) with several decelerations and extended idles.

7.) After the drive cycle, the engine should be idling normally.
--> If the engine idle speed has not been learned, turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds and repeat step 6.
8.) Onc the engine speed has returned to normal, clear DTCs.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old January 16th, 2016, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

This works just did it on mine fixed it in two minutes!!!! Thanks!!
Old January 25th, 2016, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

I had a similar problem with my 2003 escalade. the battery died and when I installed the new battery it felt like the truck needed to relearn the shift pattern. I kept failing the odb test at the dmv because a monitoring system had not kicked back in since the new battery was installed and the rep said to drive it for 50-100 miles he had a 2013 escalade. that didn't work. it wasn't until I filled the gas tank up that the all the lights flashed on the dash the tach went to 0 and then back to 1500. the next run at dmv it passed.
Old March 21st, 2016, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default 02 chevy tahoe

Hello just curious to what peoples thoughts are. I seafoamed my tahoe through the brake booster hose and when I took it for a spin tge throttle got stuck open doing 65mph? Any idea as to what happened. I have the 5.3L v8
Old March 22nd, 2016, 8:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure. Maybe you gummed up the throttle body with the seafoam? I've never used the stuff, don't know how it works. Take off the TB and clean it good maybe?
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marklar24_7
Dont waste your time on a drive cycle. Ive had a low success rate w that. Simply disconnect negative battery cable and pump brake pedal 3x. Reconnect battery and your idle should jump to 1800, then settle down to 900-1000 rpm in park in a matter of seconds. THIS WORKS!
worked like a charm thanks
The following users liked this post:
Jesse Clark (November 4th, 2019)
Old December 12th, 2017, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Did u run thos mile in one day or multiple days?
Old January 23rd, 2018, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Marklar24_7
Dont waste your time on a drive cycle. Ive had a low success rate w that. Simply disconnect negative battery cable and pump brake pedal 3x. Reconnect battery and your idle should jump to 1800, then settle down to 900-1000 rpm in park in a matter of seconds. THIS WORKS!
You are the man! Instant results. Thanks.
Old April 8th, 2018, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have Traverse 2012 LT. yesterday I was cleaning the air filter, I saw throttle body is black. I unscrew 4 nuts and take it out.
Cleaned with tooth brush and petrol. For safe side i keep sensor side upward. After installing RPM was dancing up and down (500-1000).
I did all procedure as you guy did, Battery terminal removed, Drive it. but nothing happened. I observed that when i turned ON AC then RPM becomes normal and as compressor goes OFF same situation.
Today it has some improvements. Butwhen i reduce the speed and RPM goes to 1000 then its jump to 1500 and keep there until i apply the brake.
I don't have Scan tool :-( :-( how to fix it?? really fedup this situation.
Old April 21st, 2018, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mfarooqgul
I have Traverse 2012 LT. yesterday I was cleaning the air filter, I saw throttle body is black. I unscrew 4 nuts and take it out.
Cleaned with tooth brush and petrol. For safe side i keep sensor side upward. After installing RPM was dancing up and down (500-1000).
I did all procedure as you guy did, Battery terminal removed, Drive it. but nothing happened. I observed that when i turned ON AC then RPM becomes normal and as compressor goes OFF same situation.
Today it has some improvements. Butwhen i reduce the speed and RPM goes to 1000 then its jump to 1500 and keep there until i apply the brake.
I don't have Scan tool :-( :-( how to fix it?? really fedup this situation.
Any help???
Now my idle rpm is 500, when i drive and stop the car then idle RPM is 750........
For Testing, I Switched off the engine and then start it, again the RPM is 500............. Whats wrong?????

Quick Reply: I cleaned my TB now high revs @ idle